Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Great corner kick by Earnie Stewart and an awesome header by Brian McBride on goal that John O'Brien hammered into the back of the net for a shock 1-0 lead.

GO USA!!!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Landon Donovan (29th minute) just pressured a ball just outside the penalty box and hit a shot on goal that was deflected off a Portuguese defender into the goal. Own goal by Jorge Costa (#2).

2-0 USA, 2-0 USA, 2-0 USA!!!

Great long ball and over the top play on the restart!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
INCREDIBLE!!!

Brian McBride's header in the 35th-minute from Tony Sanneh gives the USA a 3-0 advantage.

This lineup is so much faster than what we've seen from the USA in the exhibitions leading up to the World Cup -- great job by Bruce Arena so far.

P.S. -- They are making Jorge Costa look like an amateur at the defense and the goalkeeper Baia is weak.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Beto pulls one back for Portugal on a fine corner kick from Luis Figo to make the scoreline 3-1 in the 39th-minute.

We need to tighten up the final 1/3 of the field and disallow as many set pieces as we can because this team will give us fits on those things.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
HALFTIME -- USA 3, PORTUGAL 1

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
What the heck was that? 3-2 now in the 71st minute.

Get Jeff Agoos out of the lineup -- he's too old and has been beaten like a rented mule all day (look at who had the "mark" on the first goal by Portugal).

We look absolutely nervous right now -- come on USA!!!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
WOO-HOO!!! WOO-HOO!!! WOO-HOO!!!

3-2, 3-2, 3-2, 3-2, 3-2!!!

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

3 points for the USA in Group D!!!

Well done Bruce Arena!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Never let the argument for Possession versus Direct soccer be argued again for the "Possessionites" that only want the game to "look good". I witnessed this morning counter-attacking and direct, flag-play soccer by the USA en route to an improbable victory over "the Brazilians of European football" - Portugal.

Portugal possessed for almost 60% of the match but found themselves on the short end of a 3-2 decision. I'm not saying that counterattack and direct soccer is the ONLY way to play, but for all those that feel East-West and 1-0 results should be the norm/standard -- phooey!!!

You play to YOUR strengths and I think Bruce Arena & Co. have identified how our American side MUST play -- maybe not what you desire, but what you must play based on personnel.

Congratulations to the United States and play to win -- whatever that has to be!

PS - I hope "soker" watched the match!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"the worst team in the tournament" shocks "the brazilians of europe"...god, how could you not love this... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

i broke the ceiling fan celebrating the 3rd goal

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did your neighbors get any sleep.Doubt if mine did!And I have a preacher next door.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Although I was a little weary at Arena's decision to not start Mathis and Reyna I think that Arena's choice of young speed helped the Americans. Not saying it will always work w/ every team though. Hopefully we will get to see Mathis play some during the next 2 matches and HOPEFULLY more matches after that. Beasley added a lot of speed on the left wing and made some great plays. Also Sanneh made some offensive attacks from his defensive position to help out the US in their 3 goals.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking ahead, if the U.S. can survive the next two games as either Group winner or runner-up, then we will face either Italy or Mexico more than likely in the Second Round. Not a bad draw - at least we are familiar with both sides.

We just need to make sure and take care of business in the next two matches agains Korea and Poland.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mathis has had a slow recovery and was feeling pain in his knee as of late. In regard to Agoos, he had to make a play on the ball as two Portugese players were in prime position to get a toe on it. Agoos is a positive influence back on defense. To disagree is to say Arena doesn't know what he's doing. It is obvious that BA knows soccer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mathis may be ready to play against South korea. It will be interesting to see what BA does with his lineup.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Given the offensive result from Game 1 I'd say leave Donovan upfront with McBride.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good call, but they say that BA likes to tinker with his lineup. Friedel or Keller in goal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard