World Cup

#63827 02/08/03 12:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I still see no South Carolina recruits on the USC squad... What a shame... Don't get me wrong, I like Coach Berson, but to be the University of South Carolina and have only one South Carolina native is a shame. I wonder what keeps his eyes off some the talent in SC?

#63828 02/08/03 01:56 AM
D
throw in
throw in
D
USC is strong enough to recruit nationally, and the state of South Carolina has a VERY small number of youth players that go on to play in college (relative to most states). Clemson and Furman also have strong national reputations in mens soccer. If SC can get any players on these three rosters, or on the field (even better), we should be proud. Look at the contributions Nick Rivera has made at Clemson. It's great that an SC player can do so well at a top 10 collegiate program in the country (like these three that we have in our home state). If youth soccer in SC keeps improving, there will be more players in the future like Nick. Let's be glad that our SC youth players have such great college soccer to watch and follow so close to home. This alone will inspire them.

#63829 02/08/03 04:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clemson did sign two from the state last year - Forbes and Cooper. Both should be ready to contribute next Fall.

With Doug Warren moving on the the MLS, Hunter Gilstrap could be ready to step in goal for the Tigers.

That's three on the roster now after years of very little from the state. Not too shabby.

#63830 02/10/03 07:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been around youth soccer for the last eight years including classic one, region III premier league and ODP Region III. Having seen countless tournaments in the southeast and beyond, South Carolina youth soccer has a long way to go. Rarely does a SC team make it out of its bracket and usually it's a St. Giles team. In ODP, SC simply gets destroyed. It's not because there isn't talent... there is, however there isn't as much depth and as a result, the overall competitive level within the state is not as good as a GA, NC or TX. These areas have larger metro areas with bigger player pools. That's why St. Giles typically is best club in SC because of the large G'ville/Spt metro area. It will get better in SC, just like football and basketball have.

#63831 02/11/03 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If I am not mistaken, the only SCYSA team that has made it out of Regionals is the GFC USA Team U-18. The DSA Strikers U-20's(older bracket, therefore not an SCYSA team) lost 2-1 in the national championship.

GFC has produced players currently playing for the Clemson and Furman men's teams as well as five who are on the Clemson women's team roster.

GFC in December won 5 out of 8 Challenge State Cup Championships. They did not enter a U-17 girls team because they did not field one.

#63832 02/11/03 02:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Follow up question: Did the Aiken Boys U-16's?? make it out of Regionals last year?

Link Copied to Clipboard