NEWBERRY, S.C. – Newberry head men’s soccer coach Joel Harrison resigned his position at the NCAA Division II institution, director of athletics Andy Carter announced today. The college will begin a search for an individual to head up the program immediately.

Harrison came to the program on July 29, 2003 as the fifth men’s soccer coach in Newberry history. He led last year’s squad to a 9-8-3 record, the only winning record in twelve seasons of intercollegiate competition.

The culmination of 2003 success was the seventh-seed Indians knocking off second-seed Presbyterian in the South Atlantic Conference Tournament before succumbing to eventual champion Catawba College in the semifinals.

“Joel has been great for our men's soccer program,” said Carter. “He brought the experience of winning to the table, as well as his work ethic. I am sad for us, but excited that he is happy with his decision to pursue another opportunity. Our commitment to athletics, and specifically the men's soccer program, has not and will not waiver through this coaching change. I am excited about the future of this program.”

“Andy Carter has been great to work for—he’s a person who works hard and gets things done,” Harrison said. “He’ll go the extra mile to get coaches what they need so that they can focus on coaching. I feel like the program is in better shape now than when I came. With a strong group of returners and a positive outlook resulting from the first winning season ever, this will be a very good position for someone. I expect good things and a bright future for Newberry soccer."

Juan Favero and Chris Davidovicz, soccer coaches for the women’s program, will conduct practices and guide the team through the spring season until a replacement is named.

Newberry College is a proud member of the South Atlantic Conference, a league comprised of eight colleges and universities in North and South Carolina and Tennessee.