Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a.foley- In your first post you stated "thats all he ever did"(in regards to his goal against Argentina) about Owen, I think his strike rate AFTER that goal proves that he has done more than just score that (Argentina) goal.

As for saying he is no better now than he was then, i disagree. If were talking about international soccer he has been England's only consitent scoring threat since super Al retired. Knowing plenty of Liverpool fans (as im sure you do) I found that at the club level in the seasons since he scored that goal Liverpool fans have always found him amongst their favorite players. The reason for his lack of performance this season could be down to Houlliers stifiling style of play, and poor player judgment to support Owen. Also remember he has had terrible luck with injuries.

I am wondering what he would have to do in your eyes after that goal to make him better?

Because in my opinion 6 years extra experience playing in the premiership, European competitions and the European championships have made Owen a better player.

(taking a few deep breaths) I hope you find this subjective post more to your liking.

Anthony Pelton- Im not surprised Pele said it was the best save ever, it was off his header!!

That save was incredible. The rumor is Pele was already shouting GOAL!! and was off to celebrate when Banks flung himself full extension and tipped the ball out of play.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Jimmy--Yes I have seen replays of the goal many times,I knew it was off of Pele's head.His arms are clearly extended momentarily as if he has scored.Banks did fling himself in wht seemed like a futile attempt as the header was at the ground,just in front of the goal--Bank's top hand managed to deflect it over the bar.Pele can be seen with hands on hip,shaking his head seconds later.

goal
goal
Why do I get involved in these arguments???

With Owen, he literally burst onto the scene with that goal vs Argentina - up until then he had not featured on such a stage - since then, defenders have cottoned on to Owen, he has blistering pace, granted, but does not have the intelligence or dribbling skills of say Henry.

6 years playing would, in theroy make him a better player, but I'm afraid it hasn't....then again, he'll probably bang in 5 or 6 at the Euros in the summer!!!

You think Jermaine Defoe will make the squad??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a.foley,
Defoe may not be ready yet, but im a big believer in taking along a surprise package to major tournaments (the irony of it being Owen in 98 is not lost on me!).

The squad i would take is as follows (23)

GK's (3)
D. James (Manchester City)
P. Robinson (Leeds United)
N. Martyn (Everton)

DEF'S (7)
G. Johnson (Chelsea)
J. Terry (Chelsea)
S. Campbell (Arsenal)
A. Cole (Arsenal)
J. Woodgate (Newcastle)
G. Southgate (middlesborough)
O. Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)

MID'S (8)
D. Beckham (c) (Real Madrid)
S. Gerrard (Liverpool)
P. Scholes (Manchester United)
K. Dyer (Newcastle)
J. Cole (Chelsea)
G. Barry (Aston Villa)
N. Butt (Manchester United)
F. Lampard (Chelsea)

FWD'S (5)
M. Owen (Liverpool)
W. Rooney (Everton)
D. Vassell (Aston Villa)
A. Smith (Leeds United)
J. Beattie (Southampton)

The starting line up i would go with is:

James
Johnson Campbell Terry Cole. A

Beckham Gerrard Scholes Dyer

Owen Rooney

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's mine:

GKs: James, Martyn, Robinson (3)

Defs: Campbell, Terry, King, Southgate, G. Neville, Bridge, A.Cole (7)

Mids: Becks, Gerrard, Lampard, Hargraves, Scholes, Dyer, Jenas or J. Cole. (7)

For: Owen, Hesky, Beattie, Vassell, Rooney, and of course if they can "swoo" him out of retirement then Shearer!!!!

My "11" is:

GK: James

Def: G.Neville, Campbell, Terry, A.Cole

Mid: Becks (c), Hargraves(DefMid), Scholes, Gerrard

For: Beattie, Owen.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard