Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Ho Hum -- Here We Go Again!!!

The game will be the first between two English clubs in Europe in the era since the country's six-year ban from continental competition was lifted in 1991.

Arsenal have already beaten Chelsea three times this season, including twice last month when they overcame them 2-1 in both the Premiership and FA Cup.

Chelsea have not beaten the Gunners in 16 attempts and are yet to taste victory against them under Claudio Ranieri.

MORE FROM ARSENAL.COM

Arsenal will play Chelsea in the quarter-finals of the Champions League. The Gunners were paired with their London rivals in today's draw at UEFA headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

The Champions League draw also mapped out the fixtures for the semi-finals so teams can plot their route all the way through the rest of the competition.

If Arsène Wenger's team overcome Chelsea, they will face either Real Madrid or Monaco in the last four.

Unlike the Group Stage and Knockout Round, there were no restrictions on each club drawing teams from the same country or previous opponents from this year's tournament.

Champions League quarter-final draw in full:

FC Porto v Lyon
Real Madrid v Monaco
Chelsea v Arsenal
AC Milan v Deportivo La Coruña

Quarter-final fixture dates:

First leg - March 23 or 24
Second leg - April 6 or 7

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is just plain bad. Well at least your gate money will be at the fullest amount possible.

Why can they be drawn together. Well this should test the "Gooners"!!! It is always hard to beat nay team 3-5 times in a year!!!!

Brace
Brace
good for Arsenal [Wink] ... I hope Chelsea kicks their ARSE!!!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Something has got to give at Stamford Bridge tonight when Arsenal and Chelsea begin their battle for a place in the Champions League Semi-Final.

They are the top two sides in the Premiership and England's last representatives in Europe's premier event, both with records to envy.

But one will be spoiled this evening.

Arsenal have won their last five Champions League and last nine Premiership matches. Famously, they have not lost to Chelsea in 16 games (the final three of which were won 2-1 this season) and have breached the Blues defence in each of those.

However to do that tonight would seem to be a stiffer task. Claudio Ranieri's side have not conceded a goal in their last 501 minutes of Champions League football. It is an impressive record built upon a run of six games without defeat in the competition.

Arsenal -- GK Lehmann, D Cole, D Campbell, D Toure, D Lauren, M Pires, M Edu, M Vieira, M Ljungberg, F Bergkamp, F Henry.

Chelsea -- GK Ambrosio, D Bridge, D Desailly, D Gallas, D Terry, M Duff, M Lampard, M Makelele, M Parker, F Gudjohnsen, F Mutu.

**MATCH STAT**
Chelsea have been victorious against Arsenal just twice in the last 25 meetings, both times in the League Cup and most recently in October 1998.

**MATCH STAT**
Chelsea haven't beaten the Gunners in any of their last 16 attempts.

**MATCH STATS**
Arsenal have beaten Chelsea three times already this season, each time by the same score (2-1).

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Scoring update at mark -- Arsenal 1-1 Chelsea ... Goals scored by Eidur Gudjohnsen at 53' and Robert Pires at 60' ... The Blues have had the better play, but the Gunners just knotted it up ... Remember, this competition requires home/away matches, so nothing is settled with a 1/2 hour to go!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL SCORES

Chelsea 1-1 Arsenal
Real Madrid 4-2 Monaco
AC Milan 4-1 Deportiva La Coruna
FC Porto 2-0 Lyon

Return legs of play will take place April 6-7. For Arsenal, the away goal at Stamford Bridge is huge as the next match will take place at Highbury.

A
Goal
Goal
A
Not trying to jinx Arsenal but this streak has to end sometime and I think Chelsea will try to make a statement for their outgoing Italian coach--I'll take the Blues in an upset at Highbury in two weeks time.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
AP, I hope you're wrong there in your prediction ... I watched the highlights last night on Sky Sports and listening to the Chelsea supporters after the match, you would have thought that the Blues lost yesterday ... I think they realized that if you can't get the Gunners at Stamford Bridge, then how are they going to topple Arsenal without Desailly at Highbury.

Another point of interest is that on Arsenal's website they have run a poll about which Manchester United match is more important -- League match this Sunday in London or the FA Cup Semifinal match on April 3 at Villa Park ... As of this morning, 18,833 people have cast their vote and 71.3% (as did I) voted for the FA Cup game ... The 29-match unbeaten streak in the EPL is amazing, but when you have title aspirations on three fronts (EPL, FA Cup, Champions League), I'm hoping Arsenal will be 'gunning' for honors in all competitions!

goal
goal
To see Arsenal's new stadium (concept pics).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/photo_galleries/3513501.stm

Af

Link Copied to Clipboard