Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Coach Shelley Smith has inked 13 players for the University of South Carolina's women's soccer program, including four that hail from the Palmetto State.

Laura Armstrong, GK
Greenwood, SC (Greenwood HS)
Greenville Futbol Club

Whitney Briggs, M/F
Alpharetta, GA
Centennial HS United Quest

Courtney Cobbs, F/M
Houston, TX (Westfield HS)
Challenge 85/86

Katie Derden, M/D
Boise, ID (Bishop Kelly HS)
Boise Capitals

Annie Galloway, M
Spartanburg, SC (Spartanburg HS)
Spartanburg FC

Kimmy Gillespie, D
Mauldin, SC (Mauldin HS)
Greenville Futbol Club

Sara Jane Harris, M/F
Inman, SC (Dorman HS)
Greenville Futbol Club

Ashley Kirk, M
Macon, GA (Stratford Acacdemy)
AFC Lightning

Stacy Maxwell, M/F
Atlanta, GA (Holy Innocents' Episcopal)
Concord Fire

Kali Neumann, D
Marietta, GA (Pope HS)
United Quest

Lexi Randazzo, F
Avon, CT (Manatee HS)
IMG Academies

Monica Sanchez, GK
Tampa, FL (Riverview HS)
Clearwater Chargers

Erin Sullivan, M
Woodhaven, CT (Aquinas HS)
Augusta Patriots

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Annie Galloway is at SPARTANBURG HS NOT Dorman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the correction -- I've adjusted it in the post above. USC's website had it incorrect.

[ March 22, 2004, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Kyle Heise ]

C
goal
goal
C
Glad to see 4 from SC. I believe we have more to offer in the midlands and lower part of the state if she would just take the time to look.

I am a little disappointed to see that Shelley has no active interaction with the SC Clubs or HS. And 13 freshman scares the heck out of me. What happen to all the upper-classmen. They only had 2-3 seniors last year, so where did everyone go? Not looking good for USC. You can tell a program that is in turmoil by looking at the freshmen to upper-classmen ratio each year. You have a problem if you are freshmen heavy every year.

Brace
Brace
I'll say this, I've seen both Smiths at high school games and know that they are one of the few collegiate coaches (male/female) that actually support the S.C. High School Soccer Coaches Association via membership. They would very much like to recruit SC more heavily, but have to be realistic as well. I think that they are doing a pretty good job at Carolina and will continue to do so.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
13 is a lot of recruits. Looking at last yr's roster only 4 graduating seniors and only 2 rising seniors. Assuming no defections, that means 31 + players for next year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chapindad,

I am not sure what you mean by "having no active interaction with SC Clubs or HS" Do you mean from a recruiting standpoint she is not involved ? I wouldn't presume that, as she has just recruited 4 instate players. Do you mean she is not actively interactive with the clubs in communication/training sessions? If that is your intent, I can vouch that she and her staff have directed and participated in training sessions, held player discussion panels and campus tours for in state players.

If someone in the midlands and lower part of the state wants her to be interested in (them), maybe they should show her some interest first.

To your point about 13 freshman....I think it is exciting. Can you imagine the competition for playing time with this type of incoming talent. I agree if the situation repeated year after year, but that is not the case. Last year six signed to play for USC. I see USC selecting good kids that are high quality players and in the long run, the program will get stronger.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chapindad,
You obviously don't know the Smiths nor have you ever attempted to have a conversation with them if you think they have no interaction with the SC club scene or local players. The Smiths consantly offer their time to the community free of charge. They don't push camp, they don't push agendas; they want SC to become a power in the SEC and be a team the community can get behind. Shelley has been a little low profile since the birth of her baby in November, but I've seen both of them at 3 or 4 contests this sping.

If you truly want them to hear what you have to say, call the soccer office at USC and talk to them. I promise they'll take your call. If you prefer email, do that. If all you really want to do is complain, then just continue posting on the message board.

BTW, did you watch any games the last few years? They took a progam that was falling apart with marginal talent and have put them on the cusp on the NCAA tournament. Most "experts" saying they missed NCAA postseason by one win each of the last two years. Considering they have never brought in a big class, I'd say they are weeding out the garden and bringing in kids they feel they can win with. We'll see??

S
coach
coach
S
>>I am a little disappointed to see that Shelley has no active interaction with the SC Clubs or HS.<<

Several examples of interaction...

Last night [Monday, March 22, 2004] Jamie Smith and quite a few of the USC women players were at GFC giving a clinic.

Last year, USC women's soccer team played at the Lexington fields and I believe gave a clinic afterwards.

I'm sure that there are more examples; these are just the ones of which I'm directly aware.

>>I believe we have more to offer in the midlands and lower part of the state if she would just take the time to look.<<

GFC's U-18G team is ranked #7 nationally and consists of players from all parts of the state -- each eligible player apparently gets a lot of attention from a lot of different coaches. I believe on the men's side that Aiken Fire players probably get a lot of attention and they have players from a lot of places also. Likewise MPSC's ICE seems to get attention. And so on...

Respectfully, I don't think that the bias that we see is geographic in terms of the players -- but there does seem to be a bias in terms of the clubs [and probably more, teams from clubs] from which USC, Clemson, and others are recruiting. I say this only by looking at the numbers of recruits from SC clubs.

The nature of this bias seems to be oriented around clubs that are regionally and/or nationally competitive. It seems to me that if a club wants to get the sustained attention of any college coach, then that club has to field teams that are regionally and/or nationally competitive with players eligible or near-eligible for college.

L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
If USC does this for 4 years in row and nobody drops out will they have 52 players on their team? Will they have to take extra benches to the away games?

lpaf

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lpaf,
Don't be silly. No one does this three years in a row.
Current roster includes 15 players of which one is on suspension and two are always hurt. Hence a little larger class.
Jenna Ball Defender FR Tampa, Fla.
Kimmy Criss Defender/Midfield SO Knoxville, Tenn.
M.A. Foster Forward FR Lilburn, Ga.
Erin Geldhof Defender/Midfield FR Troy, Mich.
Ashley Gosnell Forward/Midfield JR Charleston, SC
Sarah Lentz Defender RS JR Florence, S.C.
Abi Markham Midfielder SO Brentwood, Tenn.
Kirsten Seglem Midfield FR Woodbridge, Va. Lauren Skinner Midfield FR Troy, Mich.
Jessi Swaim Forward/Midfield FR Ames, Ia. Ames
Amanda Thurber Forward/Midfield SO Fayetteville, Ga.
Camille Toney Forward/Midfield SO Beavercreek, Ohio (currently on suspension)
Jackie Welch Defender SO Cape Coral, Fla.
Ashley Williams Forward JR Hanahan, SC
Stacey Zelek Defender RS SO Milford, Conn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard