Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#64761 07/29/04 03:08 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>> [Chapindad] The only bright side I see with Carolina is that they are recruiting girls closer to home […]<<

I think it’s important not to confuse cause and effect. I hope that the reason USC is recruiting “closer to home” is that they find better players than they can find elsewhere. If two players are exactly equal, then I completely understand and hope that they choose a local player; otherwise I hope they find the best players regardless of where they live.

One reason I think you saw more local recruiting was the fact that some SC clubs put out superior teams and players. Three of the nine recruited players were from the very strong 2003-2004 GFC U18G team that while losing to Quest at regionals was a regional and national contender that was ranked as high as #7 nationally. And of course they recruited Galloway from Spartanburg – relatively poor team, but excellent player. Two more came from Quest’s U18 team, which won at regionals over the GFC U18 team – and then a set of others from the strong Atlanta area.

Will recruiting within the state continue? I would think it would completely depend on the quality of players and teams clubs are able to produce. There are three major metropolitan areas: Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville-Spartanburg. I don’t see strong women’s programs in the fragmented Columbia clubs [I don't think this is bias -- I want to see one, I just don't]. Charleston has MPSC that has been strong and by some measures seems to be getting stronger. The SGU/GFC merger to form CESA will hopefully be able to produce superior players and teams; I know that being able to offer superior services for the highly ambitious player as well as the more casual player was a driving factor for the merger. I keep hoping that Aiken will step forward and be able to draw from Augusta, Aiken, and Columbia to take their women’s program to the next level – I know that with the Aiken Burn playing premier this year, with Rhodes coaching, and with some of their excellent talent they seem to be taking the first step.

In any case, it seems to me that if we want to see USC recruit more local talent then we need to apply as much pressure as possible on the clubs that serve us to offer higher quality services to highly ambitious players and then patronize only those clubs that actually do so [shun the ones that don't].

#64762 07/29/04 03:53 PM
S
coach
coach
S
>> [Chapindad] A few more stats. […]<<

One interesting thing about these rankings is that almost every team in the top 25 was in the top 25 the year before [exceptions are BYU and Pepperdine]. You could make the argument that once you are in the top 25, that a natural consequence would be that it might be hard to recruit a better freshman class each year since your team performed so well previously.

Trying to do a multidimensional statistical analysis of correlation and causation of experience and improvement might be interesting, but I fear that we’re going to miss the forest for a few trees. So let’s try to go back to basics.

1) All coaches want to “stabilize” in much the same manner Anson Dorrance has done – they want to achieve #1 and stay at #1.

2) The theoretical best way to “stabilize” is to have the same number of players at each class level, with playing time being biased toward players with more experience. [Of course, Anson Dorrance with Heather O'Reilly last year might practically disagree -- but note I said "theoretical".]

3) If you’re not Anson Dorrance or the coach of a very highly ranked team, then the question is not how do you stabilize but rather how do you improve. There’s no one easy answer, but attempting to radically improve your skill base by actively recruiting and increasing internal competition for playing time would seem to be key components. [Note: Having read Dorrance’s “Vision of a Champion”, I would think he’d tell you that it’s actually no different for a highly ranked team – it’s just harder to recruit better talent each year because of your success in recruiting in previous years.] In other words, as a coach, would you rather have more talent available with select upperclassmen leadership or would you rather have less talent available in a homogeneous class distribution? I’d pick the former. Once you achieve success, balancing your classes becomes a bit more important.

When I write this stuff, I simply try to have empathy for what it must be like to be a coach. If I read all of this stuff, I’d probably beat my head against a wall – because after pulling off the highest ranked recruiting year in available history, I’ve got folks complaining because we have too many freshmen. My position is that I don’t care about balance at this point – what I care about is USC continuing to increase the quality of its recruiting and continue to improve in national rankings.

#64763 07/29/04 05:44 PM
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
I have a few comments to add about USC Women's soccer. First, Coach Smith is just entering her fourth year as head coach. It is just now becoming a team she has built. In her tenure here she has had, as MC stated, 'select upperclassmen leadership' while recruiting many freshmen. Without looking at last years roster to be absolutely sure, she hasn't had a lot of turnover from last year as I see it. Also, consider that the roster is increasing about 5 - 7 more players. That's half of the freshmen recruits. That brings their roster up to the size of UNC and without that increase it would give USC a very similar roster size and distribution of the FSU team.

Why is it then, when players leave a team it's always 'the coach is driving them away.' Maybe players choose to leave because (a) they're not comfortable with South Carolina the state (b) it took a great commitment of time to make the grades they desired and chose their education over athletics [what a novel idea] (c) they didn't make the grades to stay on the team (d) they found out they'd rather party and get involved in other extracurricular activities (e) they weren't getting as much playing time as they thought they deserved so they transferred to another school.

It's not just athletes who get into college and just can't hack it for the multitude of reasons/excuses that exist. You don't hear on the academic side that 'of the 2001 freshmen class only 50% were still enrolled in 2004, why is the university president/dean/professor driving them away?'

Keep it in perspective. First, it's only a game. Second, hearsay second-hand information doesn't really give you every bit of information as to why each young player leaves a program. Last, just because your child, friend, etc doesn't make the team or get recruited to play on the team, doesn't mean the coach is bad and the program is falling apart.

Just my thoughts.

#64764 07/29/04 06:31 PM
C
goal
OP Offline
goal
C
Wow. I seem to be getting discusses going in lots of places.

First off, dhunter, your last statement implies that I am having a problem with USC because they didn't recruit my daughter. She is much to young for me to worry about right now. Maybe in a few years I will have that problem, but not now. So lets stick with facts in a debate and not us slick republican attacks. Do you work for Fox News?

Second, I am a concerned Carolina fan and only a fan. I have been following the women's soccer program very closely for about eight years now. As I stated this seems to be a year in year out problem under two different coaches. This does not inspire players or fans about the success of a program when they see new faces every year. Heck, I can't even follow a good player through the program because they rarely make it to be a senior. This is a game and you are suppose to sell tickets. Only Carolina football fans pay to see a losing program year and year out. [Smile] Don't get me wrong I will be at at least 4-6 home games this season cheering them on but it is very disappointing to me for us not to have a better program. I do love that they are using more locals which is why Coach Smith has my support, which I know is very important to her. You can disagree wih someone and still support them. I do realize this seems to be a forgein concept on this message board.

Coach Smith has had 4 years with the program and only gradualted 3 seniors, she recruited. What happen to the other recruits for that year. I am going to have to find the rosters of past to use as evidence.

#64765 07/29/04 08:45 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
2004S --

If memory serves me right, redneck soccer was your area of expertise. Do you do misogyny, too?

lpaf

#64766 07/29/04 09:55 PM
coach
coach
lpaf,
I dont have a dislike for women, its just that their pitch play is less than inspiring. We, at the Red Neck League state office, hope to remedy this by having in place next spring a co-ed Red Neck League, in addition to the boys league. We have not figured out how to prevent co-mingling and drinking among the players, just yet. Any suggestions?

#64767 07/30/04 04:31 AM
S
coach
coach
S
>> [Chapindad] Only Carolina football fans pay to see a losing program year and year out.<<

Dude, this is getting strange. The USC women’s soccer record for the last four years [from an earlier post]:

2003: 10-8-3
2002: 13-6-2
2001: 8-7-3
2000: 4-16-0

I’m 99.99% sure that if the number on the left is larger than the second number then that’s the definition of a “winning season”. I count 3 winning seasons in a row -- and didn't have to use my toes. I have a Ph.D. so you can trust me.

>> [Chapindad] So lets stick with facts in a debate and not us slick republican attacks. Do you work for Fox News?<<

I’m pretty sure that Juan Williams, an NPR journalist but also a Fox News contributor, would agree with me on the definition of “winning season”. And since I graduated from USC but played football [badly] at Clemson, I can tell you from a bipartisan [football] point of view that at least in the last 20 years, the definition of a "winning season" hasn't changed. Charlie Pell darned well knew what a winning season was, and wasn't adverse to paying top dollar to get it.

#64768 07/30/04 11:54 AM
C
goal
OP Offline
goal
C
Smiles....You must be a republician. You have the numbers but no detail.

2003: SEC: 3-5-1
Also losing to Clemson, Furman, and Texas A&M.
2002: SEC: 4-3-2
Also losing to Clemson
2001: SEC: 1-7-1
Also Losing to Clemson

I only have an Associates from Midland's Tech and they thought me to look deeper at the numbers. That is a losing season in the SEC. 2002 is the only technically winning season but I wouldn't be proud of it. Your stats only prove that she is learning to stack the table with easy out-of-conference teams. Of course I would do the same thing with a freshman class every year. Also how deep has the team gone in the SEC tournament the last years. If I am not mistaken I don't think they have past the first game. But I'm sure your PHD will figure out how this is still top 25 team, and that the liberal press is keeping down and giving no respect. [Smile]

#64769 07/30/04 01:01 PM
Brace
Brace
Not to get overly political, but ask Osama who he would vote for in 2004?

Kerry & Co. have no business leading America. A novel notion that only our enemies would love. Weakness (i.e. - DEMS) invites aggressors -- look what happened in 2001 as a result of Clinton's administration. We cannot endure another regime as such.

I'm off my soapbox now.

BUSH2004!

#64770 07/30/04 01:10 PM
coach
coach
Come on guys..........its only harmless female soccer....... Are all these numbers and stats necessary?? And now Osama is a part of the discussion? When will it all end??

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard