Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#64771 07/30/04 01:35 PM
S
coach
coach
S
Okay, it's getting too strange here for me to follow...

My Ph.D. and a dollar won't buy me a cup of coffee; so hopefully you know I was being sarcastic and self-deprecatory. The "toes" comment I hope was a give away.

Honestly, Chapindad, I'm not smart enough to follow a lot of what you're doing here on this thread. You say USC has a losing season year in and year out, but when confronted you say that you meant "SEC losing season year in and year out" and even then note they didn't in 2002 but that wasn't worth much. You compare GA to USC in an argument about younger players, but ignore the best recruiting class this century and the fact that GA had the same number of seniors and juniors. You randomly pick 5 top 25 teams and compare their classes, and yet ignore the fact that all of the teams you picked were already top 25 teams in the previous year.

I'm going to have to beg off this thread and go learn some more to be able to one day fully grasp the subtle and detailed nuances of all of this.

#64772 07/30/04 02:31 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
This is Twilight Zone stuff. Missing posts, toe counting, liberal press, Osama's pick for president.... Where else but the off season on SCSoccer.com. Mark, don't give up. Sometimes the pigs dance a bit at the singing and are thought to enjoy the lessons by 7 out of 10 vets.

lpaf

ps: To add my unasked for 2 cents about USC v Clemson football, Carolina football has, with few exceptions, instilled the virtues of humility and reasonable expectations to generations of gamecock fans. The same cannot be said of Clemson.

pps: 2004S, I'll be looking forward to hearing more about the co-ed redneck soccer league. Much potential there.

#64773 07/30/04 03:17 PM
coach
coach
MC, How did you know that pigs will be the Red Neck League Co-ed Division mascot?
We are gonna try to get them to squeal "GOOOOOOOOAL" if anyone ever scores. Also, anyone know if the Brandi Chastain sports bra comes in fish-net? To save on expenses the RNL is considering them instead of jerseys for the female participants next season.

#64774 07/31/04 04:02 AM
S
coach
coach
S
Okay, guys -- my first and last experiment with the concept of a signature! [Smile]

#64775 07/31/04 04:39 AM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
2004S --

What did happen to your first post of yesterday afternoon? It was pretty innocuous. As for references to farm animals, they almost always make me more upbeat. Pigs, ducks, chicken, horses. Yes. Upbeat.

lpaf

#64776 07/30/04 06:08 PM
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Mr. Chapindad,

Yes, let's stick to the facts. My comments were in response to generalizations that are made in not only this but other similar topics. That generalization being to place the blame on the coach when young players barely out of their teens leave the program. Seldom is there any fault placed with the players. Personnally, I found college academics difficult enough without being involved with activities outside the classroom. I have the greatest respect for student athletes who can perform above average both on the pitch and in the classroom.

Since I wasn't addressing you and made no reference to you, why assume you and your daughter were being attacked? I use my actual name as a registered member to scsoccer.com. You don't, so how in the world could I know you have a daughter who may or may not have been recruited by USC if I don't know either of your names. Please be assured and understand I am not asking for your name, don't want to know it and actually prefer not to know. In your education at MTC were you taught the universal use of 'YOU' and 'YOUR?' If not then I beg you to read that comment again and when you read my comment 'your child, friend, etc' replace the word 'your’ with the following: (any persons who suggest players leave a team because the coach drives them off). So in regards to facts, please don't assume you can read my comments and take for fact that they are addressed at you personally. You are not the only person who places all responsibility on a coach. It's not all about YOU!

You gave us these details, my totals:

Team (Rank) FR SO JR SR
NC(1)..........7 7 9 8 = 31
FSU(4)........7 7 6 2 = 22
Penn(6).......6 5 7 5 = 23
Tenn(12).....7 5 2 7 = 21
BC(25)........7 6 7 5 = 25

If you put USC in this format

USC .........14 6 8 3 = 31
NC(1).........7 7 9 8 = 31

you find they are very similar to UNC except at the SR class. But geez, it's UNC, Anson Dorrance, the standard for womens collegiate soccer. I would guess also that UNC may give more and better scholarships to their top women soccer players than USC can. But I don't have access to these facts. Do you?

But what if they didn't recruit 14 freshmen and used the average, it would look like this,

USC 7 6 8 3 = 24
FSU (4) 7 7 6 2 = 22

and you can see they compare right there alongside FSU.

So given that your facts don't actually support any point you are trying to make, my response was directed at your comment <<" I would be interested to know why most of the girls leave the program. What I fear is the coach is running off the players in order to upgrade with freshman.">> If JR’s and SR’s can’t compete against the freshmen on their own team, how will they be able to compete against their counterparts on the opposition teams? If you can read my comments without assuming you are being attacked, maybe you can understand my query as to why are coaches often considered to be the reason for players leaving a team. If I had left out the pronoun 'child' in my text would you have taken this personally. Hopefully not.

And finally,two more FACTS. One, NO I don't work for Fox News. Two, NO, I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat, I am lucky enough to be a free-thinking American. But it's funny you ask, I have many friends and acquaintances, some are Republicans, and some Democrats. But what the hell has political party affiliation got to do with soccer. Except, I guess, when you don't lucidly support your argument it's easier to make some type of generalization instead of using the facts. You do it so well.

#64777 07/30/04 07:10 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
dh --

I saw a UNC package for women soccer prospects last year and their scholarship offers seem to be quite comparable with the other major colleges. UNC doesn't have to compete for the best players by offering more or better scholarships.

lpaf

#64778 07/30/04 08:08 PM
D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
lpaf -

What does a typical scholarship provide?

dh

#64779 07/30/04 08:24 PM
C
goal
OP Offline
goal
C
Mark,

I had fun with your post and was attempting to have some fun back. I really do enjoy reading and responding to your posts. I have a very sarcastic sense of humor and never take things personally. To little time in life to worry about such things.

Now back to the discussion. I love to going to the games and I am a VERY big fan of women's sports. I have a lot of personal reason for this belief. Soccer is already a low end sport in this state to the general public and talk shows. The onyl thing lower is women's sports. I would love to see the Carolina program finally take the next step and start winning the big games and not just the cupcakes. And I don't mean the occasional big win but to have a true winning season that includes SEC wins, SEC tournament wins and some NCAA tournament wins. I just want to see more. Clemson has done very well for itself and is well respected for its efforts. I want Carolina to be as good as a Clemson if not better. Let's face it Carolina only has one national championship and is only very good in a couple of sports. People want to come to Carolina now for Track & Field and Baseball. Why can't we add women's soccer to that list? Let's give Columbia another National Champion they can talk about. Beating Charleston Southern every year doesn't shout excitment or make run down to stone and get my tickets early. Let's play and compete againist UNC or DUKE for starters and now I am excited about going to stone to watch a game on Thursday night.

BTW: I started this thread so I guess I have to stay in until the bitter end. And now farm animals are involved. I thought that was illegal in most countries...

#64780 07/30/04 08:50 PM
L
hat-trick
hat-trick
L
dh --

My memory works in overview better than detail, but I think I remember no full scholarships for freshmen unless a member of the US national team. 1/2 scholarship for freshmen starting increasing each year as play time increases. There was a clause addressing increased scholarship funding for early decision to attend UNC. Other information from discussion with an assistant coach included a limit of 4 out of state scholarships per year and a clear message that UNC does not compete for players by bidding up scholarships. I'm sure there are exceptions to all of the above, but my take away was that UNC scouts and recruits the best in the country with a particular emphasis on NC players and that they offer scholarships on par with other colleges, not more or better.

lpaf

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard