Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#65070 02/14/05 07:54 PM
F
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
F
Who is the best Club team in the world? To my opinion I think Real Madrid is the BEST. Who do yall think?

#65071 02/15/05 03:10 PM
C
Kickoff
Kickoff
C
I have to agree. Not only do they buy their talent but since the new coach took over, 7 consecutive wins! That hasn't been done there since the 50's (I think). They have their downfalls, but overall a well coached talented group. I think they need to use Owen more. He has the speed and the foot. He was a sub and scored their last game. What more can you ask for. Another great club though is Liverpool. One of my favorites, but not performing well. They have talent but are plagued with injuries! I wish they still had Owen!

#65072 02/15/05 09:15 PM
F
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
F
Of course liverpool is one of my other favorites Riisee(i think thats how its spelled) is a player to lookout for. Liverpool is a great team but i still go for Real Madrid.

#65073 02/16/05 01:52 AM
L
throw in
throw in
L
Liverpool should be up near the top, after all, they are my favorite, but like "FtDJV" said, they are getting killed with injuries. Real Madrid is also a great club when the players work together, I think they are too much like the Yankees. But when it comes down to the top club in the world, it's Juventus. They don't have the best players, but they work together greatly, and play with a lot of heart. Also, unlike Real, Juventus leads their league, and don't underestimate Serie A. Its ironic that this topic comes up right before Juventus and Real Madrid battle it out in the Champions League next Tuesday. I think the winner of those two legs settles this dispute.

#65074 02/17/05 01:13 AM
kick off
kick off
Chelsea is one of the top teams hands down...if not the best....yes FtDJV...Chelsea....a great team thanx to their great management and it's owner who has the money to spare.....two words...Arjen Robben..this guy is the man...then theres makelele, lampard, gudjohnsan or however you spell it...and there even more....then they're in first in the epl with a good champions league record which is almost always great especially this year..trust me on this kids...they are going all the way.

#65075 02/17/05 03:02 AM
Z
throw in
throw in
Z
I think Barcelona has the best team right now. Definitely better than Real Madrid right now.

#65076 02/17/05 04:36 AM
P
throw in
throw in
P
What's the best way to get European soccer on cable at home? I have comcast as my cable company. Do the satellite systems have better coverage? Tahnks in advance for your help.

#65077 02/17/05 02:50 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Figures in millions (U.S. Dollars)
------------------------
$322 Manchester United (ENG)
$294 Real Madrid (SPA)
$276 AC Milan (ITA)
$270 Chelsea (ENG)
$267 Juventus (ITA)
------------------------
$216 Arsenal (ENG)
$210 Barcelona (SPA)
$207 Inter Milan (ITA)
$207 Bayern Munich (GER)
$173 Liverpool (ENG)
------------------------
$170 Newcastle (ENG)
$135 AS Roma (ITA)
$130 Celtic (SCO)
$124 Tottenham (ENG)
$124 Lazio (ITA)
------------------------
$116 Manchester City (ENG)
$114 Schalke (GER)
$110 Marseille (FRA)
$107 Rangers (SCO)
$105 Aston Villa (ENG)
------------------------

Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal have the potential to become the world's three richest clubs in two years' time - ahead of even Real Madrid, a report has revealed.

United have retained their position at the head of the Deloitte Football Money League for the eighth year in a row, with an annual income of £172 million for the 2003-04 season.

While second-placed Real closed the gap, with an income of £156.3 million, and AC Milan are in third spot, Chelsea have climbed from 10th place to fourth in the space of just 12 months, on £143.7 million.

Arsenal, meanwhile, are also on the up, with the opening of their new 60,000-capacity Emirates stadium in the summer of 2006 set to revolutionise their income levels thereafter.

The report concluded: 'With Chelsea's success and Arsenal's new Emirates stadium development, we can foresee a scenario where English clubs fill the top three places in the 2006-07 money league.'

United continue to lead the way, with the report concluding they 'are likely to remain the club to beat in future money leagues', with a significant lead over their nearest rivals.

But Chelsea could yet overtake them, especially after concluding an eight-year kit deal worth £100million with adidas, while a lucrative sponsorship agreement is also just around the corner.

Their income for last season increased dramatically by 62% from £93.1 million in 2002-03, and that was even before their significant progress on the pitch this season.

The report added: 'Having devoured two-thirds of Manchester United's revenue lead in one season, Chelsea will not think that future overall leadership is beyond them.'

Progress has come at a huge price, with the club having just reported a pre-tax loss of £88million for last year - the biggest in English football history - after spending £175million on new players and doubling the wage bill to £115million.

However, this latest league table is based on income, with Chelsea's finances having been underpinned by the multi-million pound fortune of owner Roman Abramovich.

While Juventus have fallen out of the top three, Spanish giants Real are another major obstacle for Chelsea and Arsenal to overcome if they are to join United at the top.

However, the Gunners' income is set to increase substantially when they move out of Highbury and they have concluded a lucrative sponsorship and stadium-naming rights deal with Emirates.

'We expect to see Arsenal move further up the money league in the coming years as they and Chelsea lead London's challenge to Manchester, Madrid and Milan,' the report added.

Indeed, the sports business group at Deloitte, who compiled the report, believe British clubs lead the way in maximising stadium revenues, particularly in terms of corporate hospitality and non-matchday activities.

There were a total of eight English clubs in the worldwide top 20, with Liverpool in 10th, Newcastle in 11th and Tottenham in 14th place.

Manchester City were debutants on the list in 16th place after the opening of their new stadium, while Aston Villa returned after a five-year absence in 20th spot.

While there were five Italian clubs, there were also two from Scotland - Celtic, in 13th place, and Rangers, in 19th spot - the same number as from Spain and Germany, as well as one from France.

Champions League fortunes nevertheless remain the key to clubs maximising their incomes - and eight of the top nine clubs are due to face each other in the last 16 of the competition.

#65078 02/17/05 02:51 PM
World Cup
World Cup
pilgrim, I have TimeWarner Cable in Columbia and the new Fox Soccer Channel is outstanding (Channel 149).

#65079 02/18/05 05:36 AM
goal
goal
Just to show the other side of that coin: (from bbc sport)

Former European Champions Borussia Dortmund are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy with huge debts.

Despite attracting crowds of 75,000 to the Westfalen stadium, Dortmund expect their losses for the financial year ending in June to reach £47.5m.

Dortmund, the Bundesliga's only publicly-listed club on the stock exchange, may be forced to sell assets such as Tomas Rosicky and Jan Koller.

Borussia president Reinhard Rauball said: "We will find a rescue package."

Borussia's financial plunge is the latest football crisis to hit German football less than 16 months before the counytry hosts the 2006 World Cup.

German football has been rocked by a match-fixing scandal, leading to the arrests of referees.

Ironically, Dortmund's financial problems come at a time when the team was picking up on the field, taking 10 points from their last four games.

#65080 02/17/05 07:01 PM
F
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
F
I agree with most of yall but who has the richest players?(I know im getting out of the subject)

#65081 02/20/05 02:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real Madrid is my favorite team hands down, but you have to say AC Millan is the top team in Europe until they lose in the Champions League. Chelsea is also, in my opinion one of the top teams in Europe. they are on an incredible run in England even with the loss of Roben.

#65082 02/24/05 12:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CHELSEA IS THE BEST

DONT SAY IM A WAGON-JUMPER-ONNER THING OR WHATEVER LIKE THAT, CECH IS MY FAV. KEEP FROM AT LEAST 3 YEARS AGO

#65083 02/24/05 12:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
O YEA, CHELSEA LOST WHATS-HIS-FACE...THAT LONG-NAMED GUY. AHH! WHATS HIS NAME???

HE WENT TO LIKE BOLTON OR TOTTENHAM OR SOMEWHERE SMALL LIKE THAT.

HELP ME OUT GUYS...WHAT IS THAT GUYS NAME? BLACK GUY, STRIKER, LONG NAME

#65084 02/28/05 11:57 PM
Z
throw in
throw in
Z
Are you talking about Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink? What about him?

#65085 02/28/05 11:59 PM
Z
throw in
throw in
Z
I think the finals of Champions League should be Barcelona and A.C Milan even though I would rather see Arsenal advance, it is not looking too good for them.

#65086 03/01/05 04:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, Chelsea got rid of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink to make room for Didier Drogba, their most expensive signing from Marseilles. Anyway, I'd have to say Barcelona and AC Milan are two of the best clubs in the world at this moment. Barcelona play a stifling possession style, with all of their great talents, and have beaten Chelsea, AC Milan, and Real Madrid all this season...they are very strong. AC Milan are a different style of team, they have a very strong defense which is common for many Italian teams in Serie A, that is just what they prefer it seems. Real Madrid are ok, but in my opinion they underperform for the amazing talent they have and the huge bankroll they have. Perhaps many of the players are just close to going over the hill.

#65087 03/01/05 01:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All ya'll think about is european teams. Time and time again when the world club championship is held there is always a south american team. Boca Juniors or just recently Once Caldas from Colombia. Look at south america. Many teams in europe are being fed by these south american clubs because the European teams draw them with big money. Boca Juniors practicaly starts each season with different players from the season before. No disregard to the European teams, but the ball play is totally different in south america. They work it. I love watching the differences in South American ball and European, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

#65088 03/02/05 12:12 AM
Z
throw in
throw in
Z
Isn't the World Club Championships the best club of each continent? If this is so, then no wonder there is a South American team always represented. Not to diss South American soccer but whenever they do encounter European powerhouses they will generally be the underdog.

#65089 03/02/05 02:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good point [Smile] but i believe if ya took a gander at the stats for that last 10 years, the south american team took the cup. through the 90's i think not for sure but Boca Juniors took it 3 years in a row. Not claiming as fact,not very sure.

#65090 03/02/05 01:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From http://www.uefa.com

One of the rewards for the team which wins European football’s most prestigious competition – the UEFA Champions League – is the chance to measure themselves against their South American Copa Libertadores counterparts in the European/South American Cup.

Toyota Cup
This prestigious competition – also known as the Toyota Cup – has been staged since 1960, and there have been many memorable matches along the way featuring the cream of the world’s footballers. Until 1979, the competition was held over two legs, before the decision was taken to stage one match each year in Tokyo.

12.12.04 FC Porto 0-0*** CD Once Caldas
14.12.03 AC Milan 1-1*** CA Boca Juniors
03.12.02 Real Madrid CF 2-0 Club Olimpia Asuncíon
27.11.01 FC Bayern München (GER) 1-0 CA Boca Juniors (ARG)
28.11.00 Real Madrid CF (ESP) 1-2 CA Boca Juniors (ARG)
30.11.99 Manchester United FC (ENG) 1-0 SE Palmeiras (BRA)
01.12.98 Real Madrid CF (ESP) 2-1 CR Vasco da Gama (BRA)
02.12.97 BV Borussia Dortmund (GER) 2-0 Cruzeiro EC (BRA)
26.11.96 Juventus FC (ITA) 1-0 CA River Plate (ARG)
28.11.95 AFC Ajax (HOL) 0-0*** Grêmio FB Porto-Alegrense (BRA)
01.12.94 CA Vélez Sarsfield (ARG) 2-0 Milan AC (ITA)

In the last 11 years South American teams have acquitted themselves very well against there European counterparts.

Europe- 6 Wins
South America- 5 wins

It is still a fact (and a compliment to the South American coaching community) that South American players (and the clubs providing them) are just a feeder system for the elite European sides.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard