Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#65611 05/25/05 10:00 PM
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
So...
who had the better season??

Chelsea-- Premiership champions, most wins ever, lost to Liverpool in the Champions League semis

-or-

Liverpool-- i believe a 5th place finish in the Premiership but Champions League winners with the greatest comeback ever in that event

-or-

Arsenal-- FA Cup Champions

#65612 05/25/05 10:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes I wonder UEFA will do. They already ruled to say there is NO automatic place for the Winners. Which is a bit strange to understand, but at least it was stated up front, "the top four teams (two of which have to play in the qualification stages) from the Premiership.

My idea would be replace Arsenal with Liverpool. At least they went over the half-way line in teh second half and no comparison in entertainment value.

If they don't do that. I hope they give them a wild card entry somehow.

#65613 05/25/05 10:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Voice. Chelsea had the best season. Winning the league is the most important trophy. Champions league is close, though.

But I think if you gave these teams the choice they'd say 38 games is a tougher test. Even if some of the opposition is nowwhere near as good. Of course, the early rounds of the Champions league can see some pretty weak teams too.

#65614 05/25/05 10:08 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Classic anti-Gunner response!

quote:
My idea would be replace Arsenal with Liverpool. At least they went over the half-way line in teh second half and no comparison in entertainment value.
Good luck in the transfer market -- maybe you'll find some hardware with one of your signings!

VOR, Chelsea had an unbelievable season and I'm sure the boys at the One Eyed Newt across from Stamford Bridge had many a celebration in 2004-05. Will be interesting to see if Roman Abramovich and Jose Mourinho can pull the proper (purse) strings again next year!

#65615 05/25/05 10:32 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Voice of reason, you just made me jump out of my chair, and then get really mad...My friends and I turned off the game at half time to play fifa..and i missed my favorite team of all time make the greatest comback of all time...when will this game be replayed.

#65616 05/25/05 10:58 PM
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Cap'n--
If you were watching the game, you did not need my commentary to know what was going on.

As for my opinion on my earlier question...
I believe that a domestic league offers the most difficult away games because of the natural hatred for visiting teams. However, there are no Preston North Ends, West Broms or Crystal Palaces in the Champions League.

I believe that you have to do something special in your domestic league (see 03-04 undefeated Arsenal and 04-05 most points Chelsea) to challenge the prestige of the Champions League.

#65617 05/26/05 12:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank God for DVR...

#65618 05/26/05 01:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thought about the question of which is bigger.

Probably winning the Champions League is better. Provided you've won your domestic league recently.

I heard Martin O'Neil talking about the UEFA Cup Final being his finest hour, despite three League titles. Now I know Scotland is an easier league, but still once you've won the league a couple of times, the Champions League is bigger.

So all that being said. Perhaps because it was Chelseas first title in years, it is still the league for them.

For Liverpool it means more being the Champions League.

For Manchester United and Arsenal it would surely be the Champions League.

On a side note. The FA Cup used to big. But now it's not so recognised. Downgraded like the League Cup. "Not surprising seeing as you can win it without taking a shot at goal."

#65619 05/26/05 11:14 AM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
So, the FA Cup is "downgraded" these days? Then why did 13.7 million people watch it on TV in the United Kingdom and 71,876 show up to watch in person in Cardiff, Wales? It's the world's largest "open" Cup competition and is still important at the domestic level.

quote:
The thrilling finale of Saturday's FA Cup Final gripped the nation with TV viewing figures peaking at a remarkable 13.7 million.

The huge number of viewers tuning in to watch Arsenal's victory over Manchester United on BBC and Sky Sports made it the biggest sporting peak audience of the year to date.

It was also the the biggest match audience for The FA Cup Final since 1997's match between Chelsea and Middlesbrough, and the highest peak quarter hour audience since 1996 (Manchester United v Liverpool).

FA Chief Executive Brian Barwick said: "The viewing figures for Saturday's Cup Final were tremendous. They graphically illustrate the unique and enduring appeal of The FA Cup.

"There has been a significant rise in viewing figures for The Cup throughout this season matched by extremely healthy attendances for all rounds of the competition. This suggests very clearly that The FA Cup still has a central place in the hearts of football fans.

"We look forward to further increases next season as we build up to The FA Cup Final's return to the Wembley Stadium."

This season's competition has seen peak audience figures of over seven million for six different matches on the BBC. Manchester United's replay with Exeter in the Third Round peaked at 8.2 million while Everton v Manchester United in the Fifth Round drew 8.1 million viewers.

The seven million mark was also passed in the Fourth Round match between Manchester United and Middlesbrough as well as Sheffield United v Arsenal in a Fifth Round replay and the Manchester United v Newcastle Semi-Final.

The impressive viewing figures have been matched by rising attendances at FA Cup matches. Average crowds in every round of the competition from the Third Round onwards have been higher than in the previous two campaigns.

On Third Round weekend, an average attendance of 17,214 made it the highest number in 24 years, while the Fourth Round weekend average of 25,714 was the best for 27 years. The completed Fifth Round saw an average of 28,272 per game - the best for six seasons.

The two Semi-Finals at the Millennium Stadium in April drew an audience of 121,357 - the third highest in the last 30 years. The two higher figures (1993 and 2000) were on occasions when both ties were played at Wembley.

#65620 05/26/05 11:59 AM
Brace
Brace
I heard on the radio that soccer fans in Auckland, New Zealand stormed the streets at 4:00 a.m. when the TV station opted to show the scheduled show in that time slot rather than show the overtime and penalty kicks in the F.A. Cup Final. Doesn't seem "downgraded" to the Kiwis after their version of the "Heidi game". (OK, I showed my age with that comment).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard