Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
VOR...I agree. Bocanegra played very strong in the air(offensively and defensively). Wolff with his skills, fitness, and sheer talent is being done a disservice playing where he is. It was very evident in the England match that he was the spark, but lacked the "expert touch" that could have generated at least two more goals. Dempsey is a star in the making...I knew that while he was in Greenville. McBride did the job a captain should do--lead with words, and example...solid goal.
The US really is a strong side, and when you consider how strong the bench/not available was(Johnson, Onyewu, Dempsey) while a WC final may be asking a bit much, a STRONG showing will be expected...as long as Arena continues to provide the best XI the US has to offer.
In addition, Salt Lake City provided an outstanding soccer atmosphere for the game. I spoke with someone who went, and he was raving about the stadium, the city, and the hospitality of the SLC community!

corner kick
corner kick
i think the announcers said a little over 40,000 i was quite happy...more people that go to games means more games...hopefully we can get a game in ATL or charlotte some time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where has Armas been. He seems to settle the team. Landon has WheelS!!!!! I like the lineup til Guch gets more caps.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When was Armas' last MNT appearance? I can't remember him in a recent lineup. I'd like to see Frankie Hejduk on the pitch a bit more. His style of play seems to suit the American side more than say a Steve Ralston would.

World Cup
World Cup
The great thing about the MNT is the youth on board (as well as the skill they possess). You see a large mix of names being tested that was not the case prior to WC 2002, without a pitfall in level of play. Convey and Dempsey are on my list of players break through post-WC 2006.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Recently I've seen more games, commercials, news, and talk about soccer. That is fantastic! I am so glad that ESPN has be showing alot of soccer. I have seen more soccer on TV lately then I have ever seen in the previous years, except during the World Cup. Maybe this is a sign that soccer is slowly becoming more popular in the US. For example, in the last 2 games that the USA team has played in there has been at least 40,000 people attending each game. And the announcers on TV said that Utah had announced and put this game on the front page of the newspaper in Utah(not just the sports page). They also stated that this event and turnout was the biggest thing to happen in Salt Lake Utah since the winter olympics.

Brace
Brace
I believe Armas is just injury plagued or prone since he did his ACL in that friendly (against Holland i believe) before the World Cup. Then they brough in Cherundolo and he got hurt. I say leave them both off because there are far more players with more talent than either of them.

I agree that Hejduk needs more PT, but at 30, this is his last World Cup. He could play on the left with Bocanegra on the right and Pope and Onyewu in the middle during the next MNT game. I like Donovan in the midfield, but I wonder what happens when Reyna comes back. Personally, i think Reyna is overrated and McBride does a much better job as the captain. I don't think Reyna is in the top 11 anymore.

Just like i believe taking Tony Meola to Korea/Japan was an absolute idiotic move (as opposed to Tim Howard, Zach Thortan or Kevin Hartman), Coach Arena needs to look at what players are doing now-- not what they were able to do 8 years ago. It seems he is very willing to experiment with young players like Onyewu, Dempsey and others, but please, Donovan as the attacking center midfielder is a much better option than Reyna. However, i am afraid that everyone with get caught up with Reyna's magic from old MNT matches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dempsey is going to be one incredible player in a few years, putting up good numbers in the MLS this year, and is doing very well in the international games.

World Cup
World Cup
FU must be proud.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UVA...UVA......Arena looks after his own.....how else could you possibly defend Agoos being on the FREAKIN NATIONAL TEAM!!!!!! Reyna is done in my mind too "light" for me. I like Cherundlo (sp) myself. McBride is a 20-25 min player WHEN Johnson is healthy.....Gooch is a little green but will BLOW Pope out of the water in a few months!!! I say we go w/ Gooch and Gibbs in the middle Cherundlo(sp) and Bocanegra(sp) on the backs, Lewis/Convey and Beasley on the outside mid, Reyna/Mathis(bruce doesn't play him enough.....discipline is for HS not MNT duty PLAY YOUR BEST!!!) and Armas(Dempsey if he grows into a mature player) on the indside and Landon and Eddie up top! Bench could be great which is what we need!!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard