Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#66178 07/20/05 01:34 PM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
France, England, Spain, Portugal & Germany.....get in the back seat!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Germany jumps 10 spots

Associated Press

ZURICH, Switzerland -- The United States improved to No. 6 in FIFA's rankings Wednesday, the Americans' best showing in the monthly ratings by soccer's governing body.
The Americans, who will play in this week's CONCACAF Gold Cup semifinals, had never been ranked higher than seventh. They were 10th last month, but passed France, England, Portugal and Spain to move within one spot and three points of rival Mexico.

World Cup champion Brazil remained No. 1, and Argentina improved one spot to second. The Netherlands was third, and the Czech Republic dropped from second to fourth.

France fell two spots to seventh, and England, Spain and Portugal rounded out the top 10.

Germany moved from 21st to 11th, the biggest improvement of any nation in the top 20.

The United States will play Honduras in the Gold Cup semifinals Thursday night in East Rutherford, N.J.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it is about time the US gets some recognition in the world. this shows how much US soccer has improved over the years.

World Cup
World Cup
North/Central America and Caribbean (CONCACAF) 2006 World Cup Qualifying

4-0-1, 13 PTS, Mexico
4-1-0, 12 PTS, United States
2-2-1, 7 PTS, Costa Rica
1-3-1, 4 PTS, Guatemala
1-3-1, 4 PTS, Trinidad and Tobago
0-3-2, 2 PTS, Panama

Wednesday, August 17
--------------------
United States vs. Trinidad & Tobago
Mexico vs. Costa Rica
Guatemala vs. Panama

Saturday, September 3
---------------------
United States vs. Mexico
Panama vs. Costa Rica
Trinidad & Tobago vs. Guatemala

Wednesday, September 7
----------------------
Costa Rica vs. Trinidad & Tobago
Mexico vs. Panama
Guatemala vs. United States

Saturday, October 8
-------------------
Costa Rica vs. United States
Mexico vs. Guatemala
Panama vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Wednesday, October 12
---------------------
United States vs. Panama
Guatemala vs. Costa Rica
Trinidad & Tobago vs. Mexico

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the US is definately looking strong in this years CONCACAF.

corner kick
corner kick
Sixth?!
I'm not sure that I fully understand these rankings. How are they figured? Certainly they cannot mean that the U.S. is a better team than France, Germany, or England. We learned this not a month ago, when we got pasted by England's third string!

Maybe one of you could clear this up for me.

World Cup
World Cup
Eight teams have booked their spots for the 2006 World Cup in Germany: Argentina; Brazil; Iran; Japan; Saudi Arabia; South Korea; Ukraine; and United States; while Ghana and Mexico are very close.

More WC qualifying to take place today!

Brace
Brace
Mexico (5-1-1) still needs another point in its final three games to get one of the region's three berths at Germany 2006. Its coach, Ricardo Lavolpe, was not impressed by the winners.

"The U.S. is a small team," he said. "They play like my sister, my aunt and my grandmother."

Interesting comment from the Mexican coach. I guess that means Mexico plays like Curly, Larry and Moe who are the brother , uncle and grandfather of the coach.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Obviously the host nation, Germany, who do not have to qualify, are in as well.

World Cup
World Cup
Northern Ireland 1-0 England

This is hilarious commentary from the ESPN Soccernet 'summary' that was updated throughout the match today. I pull for England, but it sounds like they really stunk up the joint in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

It might be better (and make more sense) if you scroll from the bottom to get a feel for what this guy has been watching. [Big Grin]

95' - FULL-TIME: Northern Ireland triumph! England were absolutely dreadful; completely devoid of ideas or creative thought and were brilliantly stiffled by the home side.

95' - Oooh! Feeney strikes a low shot inches wide of Robinson's far post from just inside the penalty area.

94' - Rooney strikes a shot a few yards over the bar from distance. Taylor didn't look too concerned.

91' - Pictures of Eriksson on the England bench show a man preparing himself for an on-slaught.

90' - Despite being on the brink of the most humiliating defeat for a long time, England have still to create any real chances.

89' - There will be four minutes of stoppage time, much to the disgust of the Windsor Park crowd.

87' - Oooh! A long throw in to the Northern Ireland penalty area is flicked on by Ferdinand, but Owen is inches away from getting on the end of it.

87' - Beckham cries for a penalty as he tries to cross in to the area. Nothing from the referee, quite rightly.

86' - Every kick of the ball is being roared on by this wonderful Northern Ireland crowd; there is going to be one heck of a party in Belfast tonight.

85' - England win a corner and manage to exert a little pressure, but they can't get a meaningful effort on goal. Taylor has had little to do all game, in truth.

84' - Seven minutes to go; Northern Ireland are on the brink of their first victory over England for 33 years.

83' - Eriksson is going to be battered for this; England have been truly dreadful - clueless.

80' - SUB: Hargreaves on, Lampard off. Odd change from Eriksson, although Lampard hasn't played well at all. Beckham seems confused as to the tactical make-up of the side now.

79' - Gillespie wins his side a corner as his cross is deflected behind by Cole. The home side have been excellent in the last twenty minutes or so.

76' - The crowd are electric at the moment; they won't be able to believe what their seeing. This would be a massive result - and they probably deserve it.

75' - SUB: Gerrard off, Defoe on. Attacking change from Eriksson, who needs a couple of goals to prevent a truly almighty backlash from the media tomorrow morning.

75' - Eriksson prepares to make another change; England are looking desperate at the moment.

74' - Northern Ireland are 16 minutes away from a truly historic victory; remember, they have not beaten England here at Windsor Park since 1927.

73' - GOAL! Davis clips a great ball over the top of the England defence to David Healy. The striker collects the ball inside the area and crashes a superb right-foot shot in to the far corner.

66' - This has been the worst England performance I have ever seen. There has been no creativity, no invention, and not a lot of ambition.

64' - England look shambolic at the moment; this system doesn't bring the best out of anyone. Beckham is being very disciplined and is remaining in a deep-lying role, but he has had nothing to do - he should be up-field, firing in some crosses.

58' - Eriksson and McClaren look at each other for a moment or two; if they were at at an Italian restaurant with a candle between them, you could say it was a look of love. Instead, they're at a football match and it is actually a look of desperation.

56' - England haven't looked any better in this second half than they did in the first. Lampard and Gerrard in particular have been anonymous.

53' - SUB: Cole on for SWP. One Chelsea man replaces another in a like-for-like swap from Eriksson. England remain in their 4-5-1 formation, though they have looked distinctly toothless so far.

46' - HALF-TIME: England leave the field looking dejected, frustrated and downright angry. Rooney has a few choice words for Ferdinand, who mutters something in his ear as he jogs past towards the tunnel.

43' - England are looking so very frustrated at the moment; they have played very poorly and have been thwarted at every turn by the Northern Ireland defence.

37' - Oooh! A moment of madness from Ferdinand as he allows a tame header to run towards Robinson, unaware that Elliot was stood behind him. The England goalkeeper is alert to the danger and hacks the ball clear.

33' - For some peculiar reason, the referee has asked stadium officials to turn off the big screen; he is apparently upset that the crowd can see replays of controversial moments of action.

24' - England are finally managing to make some meaningful progress in this match, with SWP looking increasingly dangerous out on the right wing.

19' - There is a good tempo to the game; it is benig played at a fast pace and with great enthusiasm from both sets of players. But it is also very scrappy; lots of lose passes and mis-control.

17' - Carragher is being uncharacteristically adventurous so far; a couple of times he has brought the ball out of defence and ran at the Northern Ireland back-line.

15' - Rooney and Beckham are still being booed; I assume it is because they are the two highest-profile England players, though that still doesn't really explain the hostile reception fully.

13' - It's been another sloppy start from both sides; England haven't managed to get going yet, and the home side can't seem to string any passes together.

7' - Lampard is down and requires some treatment after getting a kick on his ankle. He limps off to the sidelines; a cause of concern for England.

5' - A great run from Carragher as he collects the ball forty yards out and drives in to the penalty area, though Gillespie manages to prod the ball out of play.

4' - England win another corner through good play out on the right wing by SWP; he could torment the home side if he is feeling 'up for it' tonight.

2' - Beckham is booed on his first touch, as is Rooney; I couldn't tell you why that is.

0' - England's last defeat in Belfast was in 1927. Think on that, readers.

0' - England will line-up with their new 4-5-1 formation, with Beckham continuing in his role in front of the back-four, and Rooney stuck out on the left-wing.

0' - There is a fantastic atmosphere inside Windsor Park tonight; it's party-time for the fans inside this tiny little stadium.

0' - England will be within touching distance of qualification should they win at Windsor Park. Join our expert summariser from 19:45 BST.

corner kick
corner kick
sucks for england..seems like they have an outstanding team though.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
they people who do the rankings are not looking at the skill level of the teams but merely their record. Look who the US has to play. The US's record is almost perfect. Yet European teams actually have competition and a not so perfect record because of this. This is why i think that the US is ranked 6th.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the 4-5-1 has to go for england. surely sven goran eriksson wont use it in their next match versus austria. rooney wont be available then either because of his booking today. frankly, i think the english FA needs to put some fire under eriksson because he is not doing this team any good. what england needs is a coach that knows how to motivate them because they arent getting that motivation right now and they will be in serious trouble if they dont get it soon.

goal
goal
Hey Winger, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
The England result puts my boys from Poland in a great seat for qualification. If they draw against England next, they will clinch the group. If they lose, they will most probably clinch a runner-up place in qualification. That is pretty amazing though that England's last defeat in Belfast was in 1927.

World Cup
World Cup
So, 11 teams have already made it and, as qualifying draws to a close, it's almost assured that Costa Rica, Ghana, Italy, Netherlands, and Portugal will join them in Germany.

One-third of the 32-team field has been set: Argentina; Brazil; Germany; Iran; Japan; Mexico; Poland; Saudi Arabia; South Korea; Ukraine; and United States.

World Cup
World Cup
Holland will make major ripples in the World Cup this year. They've been off to a great start, and the criticism for some of the country's great stars being left off have morphed into praise. Well done, Coach.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Nice to see the Dutch have chosen to dance this time......after failing to do so in 2002.

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
I believe FIFA has an algorithm for their ranking that makes the BCS look like 1st grade math. The FIFA system takes into consideration the results from games, giving weight to the ranking of the opponent, the reason for the game (friendly, cup play, etc.), the location, etc. I believe they go back a number of years and weigh the latest result higher than an earlier result. Their algorithm tries to take into consideration things like last nights US - Guatemala game where the US used less than top players, etc.

While the observation that US might not be as good as France or England may be correct, Bruce (or US Soccer) has set up the team so that they win the games they should (maybe a few they shouldn't - but I can't think of any) and for the most part stays away from the teams that could hurt the ranking or reputation.

Just my opinion,

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Part of the algorithm includes weighting factors for regional play. Games within Europe (UEFA) get a factor of 1.00. Games within CONCACAF get a weighting of 0.94. Other regions range from 0.93 to 0.99. These values are subject to change from year to year, and I believe they are used to maintain some diversity in the top rankings. Someone at FIFA determined that the average CONCACAF team is 94% as good as the average UEFA team. Although that is subject to debate, it results in UEFA having 26 of the top 50 spots, while CONCACAF has 5 in the top 50. Since the ranking of teams is an input into how many teams from each confederation are invited to the World Cup, it is in FIFA's best interest to maintain the proper mix of teams in the top 50. That results in some questionable rankings, but it enhances the appeal of the international game. After all, we wouldn't want to see the World Cup turn into 28 teams from Europe and 4 teams from South America. (Well, maybe one poster would like to see 32 Latin American teams in the World Cup, but that's a different topic completely.)

corner kick
corner kick
Thanks. I think I understand a little more now.

corner kick
corner kick
quote:
Originally posted by Always Right:
Hey Winger, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Why not take your own advice.

Are you always right? Only a fool would think so!

F
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
F
so what place is mexico in the fifa rankings? Can someone please show numbers 1-10 in the rankings and/or the web site you'll get this from?

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
futbol09,
Try this link:

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index.html

If it doesn't work just go to www.FIFA.com and look around.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
quote:
Originally posted by Always Right:

what was this comment for. honestly i dont think you know so i wont expect an explenation

J
world cup
world cup
J

corner kick
corner kick
Huh?
Shutup and lets talk some soccer.

F
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
F