Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
If anyone wants to discuss England's top division of soccer, this is the thread to do so ... Great start to the Premiership this weekend, especially with the just completed 2-0 victory by Arsenal at Highbury vs. Newcastle ... The Gunners left the game's outcome late as Thierry Henry (81' PK) and Robin van Persie (87') tallied scores after Arsenal held a 15-2 advantage in shots, 12-1 on goal ... Chelsea, we'll see you next Sunday at Stamford Bridge!

Picture of Jermaine Jenas' challenge on Gilberto that resulted in a red card at the 30' mark for Jenas.  -

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that was one nasty tackle!!! he definately deserved the red.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it looks bad from the picture! he should've known he can't do that from where he was

corner kick
corner kick
Liverpool tied whoever they were playing 0-0...couldn't watch the game but heard liverpool dominated play.

L
throw in
throw in
L
Yes, though Liverpool played Middlesborough(sp) to a scoreless draw, the Reds certainly dominated to game. Away games were L'Pool's weakness last year, but they didn't look too shabby yesterday. Liverpool outshot Boro something like 16(9) to 4(2). If Liverpool can find a way to get points on away games, they should be a top contender for the title.

Y.N.W.A.

world cup
world cup
The tackle was not as bad as it looks in the photo. See below:

Updated: Aug. 15, 2005, 7:21 AM ET
FA downgrade Jenas red card

Newcastle midfielder Jermaine Jenas has had the red card he received at Arsenal on Sunday downgraded to a yellow after match referee Steve Bennett reviewed his controversial decision.

The Kent official dismissed the 22-year-old for a robust tackle on Gilberto 32 minutes into the game, justifying his actions on the grounds of 'excessive force', although television replays showed that the the England international had made significant contact with the ball and only caught the Brazilian as his trailing leg followed through.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Good for them, it was not a red card tackle. Bennett, along with Mark Halsey, are the worst refs in the Premeirship. He should have red carded Senderos in the first half for holding back Dyer when he was the last defender and the PK that Arsenal got was not a PK as Freddie swung at it, missed and fell over. I think I saw a glimpse of the new Arsenal shirt under Bennetts referee shirt!!!!!!!!

A
Goal
Goal
A
If you watched the Man. U-Everton game you saw a great example of why defenders are coached NEVER to play the ball accross their own goalmouth.
Even at this level, you occasionally see costly mistakes like this.Everton's rightback, almost looked like he played the ball to Wayne Rooney who made him pay dearly and put the game out of reach.

MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
An end to the summer transfer drama:
Chelsea have bought Lyon midfielder Michel Essien for a reported 26 million pounds. Again Abramovich works his magic, supposedly courting Lyon administrators aboard his private yacht. Now that Essien is finally in the Premiership, how do ya'll think he will fare?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the refs in that game were so bad, i dont even know how they are allowed to ref games at that level.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
If you have a checking account with 2 billion dollars in it, there is nothing "magical" about writing a check for 26 million dollars!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
true, very true.

MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
I agree. "Working his magic" was fitting because Lyon were reluctant to let go of Essien. Do you guys think Abramovich's millions are good for the game? There is alot of debate about that now. Mourinho himself has said that having that much money (He now has spent around 126 million pounds since arriving) can be a burden. The millions certainly have brought many quality players to the Premiership, aside from the many that are already there.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Well, Chelsea ended 10 years of frustration by edging Arsenal 1-0 at Stamford Bridge on Sunday ... The Blues, who had not defeated the Gunners since 1995 in Premiership play -- a span of 20 matches, got a "lucky" goal from Didier Drogba's knee in the 72' minute and goalkeeper Peter Cech and the Chelsea defense limited Arsenal all afternoon ... Oh well, next week it's a home match vs. Highbury on Wednesday and a trip to the northeast on Saturday for a visit to Middlesbrough ... Two must wins for Arsenal!

-

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it was a very well played game, congrats to chelsea.

World Cup
World Cup
Did you see it, scskeeper?

world cup
world cup
scskeeper,

Did you see the match? Defensive struggle and the goal was quite lucky.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my theory:

scskeeper is just saying stuff to get his post count up. ive noticed his posts lately and that is the only logical conclusion that i can come up with.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'd have to agree with fan of soccer, scskeeper has a lot of 2-5 word responses. pretty good theory i'd have to say

MP Offline
goal kick
goal kick
Michael Owen is set to join Newcastle after a 17 million pound offer to Real Madrid. Chairman Freddy Sheppard said "Bringing Michael to the club will rank alongside the signing of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment at Newcastle United." Real Madrid issued a statement saying they were "very sorry" to see Michael go, despite the fact that he wasn't even on the bench for their first match.
Yet another world-class player comes to the Premiership.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Also, Jermaine Jenas of Newcastle joined Spurs today and Arsenal picked up keeper Mark Poom from Sunderland on this the last day for transfers in the Premier League until January.

corner kick
corner kick
FINALLY my man returns to the EPL....what a great day, i wish good ol' liverpool would have gotten him back..oh well.

corner kick
corner kick
Wow the Tottenham is going to be a serious contender this season. Great job in the transfer market by the spurs!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no, i did not see the game, but heard it was a good game, it may not have been, but that is what one of my fiends to me. he said it was a nice goal they scored, but then of course he is on the JV team, and any goal scored he says it was good, i guess i will have to stop listening to him. i also hope this post is long enough for you guys that think all i am trying to do is get my post count up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard