Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Brace
Brace
CornerFlag--
I am an avid FSU fan and have been since grade school. Here is the deal.... FSU and the Seminole Tribe of Florida work hand in hand to develop anything at FSU and have for many years. I went to Homecoming a couple of years ago and they have an FSU Homecoming Queen and a Seminole Tribe Homecoming Queen. The Seminole Tribe of Florida wrote the NCAA saying they support FSU's use of the "Seminole" mascot. So the NCAA, in their ignorant wisdom, said "okay, well we;re sure the Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma is offended and thus you must change."

Less than a week after the NCAA made this comment, the head of the Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma wrote the NCAA and said they too support FSU b/c FSU works so closely with the Seminole Tribes.

It just shows that if you're not offended, don;t worry b/c the NCAA is here to be offended for you, and to tell you what you should and should not be offended with.

Meanwhile, boosters and agents are giving kids cars to go to certain schools, high school basketball players do not need to qualify for college b/c they can just go pro and some collegiate athletic programs (Cincinnati and Arkansas basketball come to mind) have a 0% graduation rate. Personally, these things offend me more than what schools use for their mascots.

S
Goal
Goal
S
NCAA = Nazi Committee Against Athletes

brace
brace
Voice,

Don't take my message the wrong way. I'm not against FSU or the Seminole mascot. I just don't like inconsistencies and I'm pretty sure that FSU isn't the only school with support from the Native American population. As you have pointed out, there are MUCH larger problems to address instead of potentially offending only a few people.

J
Brace
Brace
J
I know that the person that portrays Chief Illiniwek has to go learn the traditional Indian dances at a reservation. It is not a traditional mascot as we may know them, but more of a respect toward the Indian heritage. I personally don’t see how someone could be offended by this. Are they offended by the portrayal of their own culture? I just don’t get it. I personally think that it is fairly respectful the way that the U of I does their bit with Chief Illiniwek. What power does the NCAA really have over such things? The next thing we know, The Fighting Irish will no longer exist, the Vikings, the Celtics, the Braves, the Redskins, the Redman, the Indians, etc…etc…etc… Why can’t people get over themselves, and accept the names for just that, names. Pretty soon you are going to have PETA going on the offensive against the Jaguars and the Panthers and say that they are bad images for those animals. The Packers may go away because people that work in a meat packing plant may be offended that a team does not reflect them accurately. Pretty soon we will have teams that are just known by numbers. “Team 12 will play team 35 today in a battle that will be tremendous….” Won’t that just be fun?

brace
brace
That would give a whole new meaning to teh phrase "We're number 1, we're number 1"

Brace
Brace
Corner-
I didn't take your post the wrong way. Just merely pointing out the relationship. Most people who do not follow FSU athletics do not know how closely the University and the Seminole Nation are tied.

It really shows how poorly the NCAA did their homework. All the had to do was ask and FSU would have never been on the original list.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Newberry to host an NCAA Division II football playoff game this weekend. Seems like the only way that the NCAA will allow them to host is if they promise to change the mascot name:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/local/15998970.htm

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard