Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66614 09/08/05 11:53 PM
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
What is going on in England?!? After being drubbed 4-1 in Copenhagen in a friendly, England turn around with a 1-0 loss to 114th ranked Northern Ireland in Belfast. This is the beginning of the end for Sven Goren Ericsson. It should actually be closer to the end of the end. England have not played up to par, and it's time for a true Englishman to lead the Three Lions.

Why switch from a 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1? And with the names listed for the N. Ireland game, it appeared they were in a 4-3-3. Rooney again looses his cookies and was not pleased when Beckham tried to calm him down.

They took the full squad to both of these games and currently sit second in Group 6, 5 points behind leaders Poland. At least England have a game in hand on Poland and with two wins in their next two games, England will back into... um, qualify... no, back into is a better description... for Germany 2006. Could we be on tract for a play-in games between England and prepetual underachievers Spain?

Meanwhile, my beloved Dutch Oranje are in cruise control in Group 1 despite a bogus red card against Cocu in their recent 4-0 win over Andorra. A tie against the Czech Republic in Prague on October 8 will secure qualification.

#66615 09/11/05 10:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ENGLAND IS REALLY FALLING APART!!!

#66616 09/12/05 02:37 PM
corner kick
corner kick
I disagree.
Teams go through their regular lows and highs. I do agree, however, that it may be Sven Goren Ericsson's time to go. Wayne Rooney may be a potent scorer and hot prospect, but he's not worth crap if he can't control his temper. That is the last thing that Professional soccer needs these days, another hothead running his mouth. Push him down to the reserves and see then if he calms down!
What an idiot!

#66617 09/12/05 08:37 PM
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Voice of Reason:

You are right! Holland does look good, I hope they continue to do so! They are very solid and should continue their form unless injuries hit, lets hope not...RVN is almost back to his old self.

ON ENGLAND: They are falling apart, no one fears them. The coach gives no motivation or confidence and they simply look weak against any competition. Teams do have ups and downs but not like these downs with the side they should put on the field. Until Neville gets healthy to play with RIO, they have no bite in the back. Rooney can be wild at times but he is just a young lad and at least he cares enough to blow up. maybe he is sick of the Captain calming him down when the captain should be leading the club. If you were to see more fire from England I am sure you see better results. Rooney's mouth can be a bit over the top, but as I stated........He really goes at it and I think is frustrated that the elder players seem to lack his intensity. Where is England's heart!!!!

#66618 09/13/05 01:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
push rooney down to reserves??? they just lost to northern ireland and they have a tough road ahead of them to qualify for '06. i dont think its a bright idea to push one of england's best players to the reserves.

#66619 09/13/05 12:42 PM
S
Goal
Goal
S
quote:
Originally posted by Crabb:
.... maybe he is sick of the Captain calming him down when the captain should be leading the club. If you were to see more fire from England I am sure you see better results......He really goes at it and I think is frustrated that the elder players seem to lack his intensity. Where is England's heart!!!!

DING-DING-DING, we have a winner!!!

It used to be that playing for your country, in any sport, whether it was the World Cup or the Olympics, was the pinnacle of an athlete's career. Sadly, that no longer seems to be the case for many. Club soccer pays so much that counting the zeroes in your bank account seems to be more important nowadays. Certainly, there is still passion in the international game, it's still a big deal for many, but I think some have lost their focus.

In England's case, they do seem to be in a rut and other than Rooney, they don't seem to have a lot of new faces. I suspect the vets have gotten too comfortable. Say what you want about Bruce Arena but is there a national coach anywhere in the world who has brought more new faces into camp and given chances to young players?

#66620 09/13/05 02:31 PM
corner kick
corner kick
I agree that England needs a charge and intensity that can propel them into the world cup. However, I don't believe that the best way to do it is to curse and argue with the referees. Soccer has already been taken off of daytime television in Britain because of Rooney. I think that a team needs enthusiasm, but not in the extreme sense that we are talking about here.

England desperately needs new faces. Keiron Richardson looked hot against the US, so why not bring him up. The british teams seem to me to rely too heavily on veteran, proven players. There is alot of great young talent in the UK these days. I say use it.

#66621 09/14/05 12:45 AM
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Teams have ups and downs-- in the beginning of the season, qualifying or tournament. Top level teams like England do not have problems in the final games of World Cup qualifying.

Rooney is a tremendous talent, but he needs a strike partner up top. ahem-- Michael Owen. Rooney cannot do it alone in a 5-4-1. At the speed of the international game, a 5-4-1 does not give midfielders enough time to come forward in transition.

#66622 09/14/05 02:11 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Amen

#66623 09/15/05 12:47 PM
S
Goal
Goal
S
Speaking of Rooney Rage, did anyone see him in all his glory in yesterday's CL match between ManU and Villareal?

He clips a player pretty good, the Danish ref Nielsen (the same ref who tossed Beckham in the World Cup) yellow cards him. Rooney is walking away, sees the yellow, decides he wants to be a comedian, turns and approaches the ref and then raises his hands right in his face. I thought he was going to slap the ref but he proceeds to clap his hands right in his face. Well, Nielsen empties his pockets at this point; 2nd yellow, red card. Here's the sequence:

First Yellow:
 -

The Windup:
 -

And...TA-DAAAAA:
 -

And the inevitable, "Wha? What did I do?"
 -

I really wish there was one that showed the ref's face right after the applause. It was priceless. "What did you just do"?

#66624 09/15/05 02:42 PM
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
It was sad to see! Hopefully maturity will set in at some point, there is no doubt he is the furture of English soccer!

I guess it would not be fair to have all that talent and not some flaw.

He is almost 20, perhaps we will see improvement soon as he always plays on the edge.....and sometimes a little over it!

#66625 09/15/05 08:10 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Ya, hopefully he can start to act like a true worldclass player. Right now he just can't control himself/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard