Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#66900 10/12/05 09:19 PM
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Neither the US / Costa Rica game nor the Mexico / Guatemala game were indicative of how these teams will look in Germany next year. In both cases, the coaches used those games to look at potential prospects, not at the likely starters. The US started 3 players against CR that also started against Mexico (Onyewu, Lewis and Beasley). Mexico started 3 players against Guatemala that also started against the US (Rodriguez, Torrado and Fonseca).

What this may mean is that Mexico has better depth in their talent pool. However, depth on the bench rarely translates to success in the World Cup. The starting 11 make the big difference, and for the most part, they are not playing this week.

Once again, I think the politics of the national organizations comes into play. The US coach knew that he could risk losing a game and his job is secure. The Mexican coach has been under a lot of pressure lately (especially after the US game), and really needs to win the last two qualifiers, or he may be watching the World Cup on TV. That has to affect the way the team is selected, and the way the team plays.

I'm not going to proclaim that the US will be doing anything spectacular at the next WC. But to put it in recent perspective, the US and Mexico split a pair of games this year using rosters that will likely be very close to the teams playing in Germany. And it's that level of competition and parity that makes it fun to watch.

#66901 10/13/05 02:13 AM
L
corner kick
corner kick
L
First of all, as I discussed at some point last year on this board, it is extremely difficult to run a back 3 in international soccer. There is just too much space to cover and too much 1v1 defending. Arena tried to play a back 3 for whatever reason. However, tonight against Panama, the US was back in their customary back 4. and even with 3 inexperienced backs, they looked much better. More organized at least

Secondly, how many players that played in that match will make the final roster and contribute significantly. I think Howard will be the back up GK, thus not seeing the field at the WC. all 3 backs will be there and Pope and Oneywu could possibly be the 2 starting CBs. Beasley will probably start. Eddie Lewis will most likely make the final roster, but contribute how much remains to be seen. There has been talk of moving him to a left back, buy why not play him at LB in a 4 back system in CR? Not really sure. Maestroeni has a chance to make the squad, but probably will be in a reserve role, coming on when we have a lead. Convey has a shot, but by no means has a spot locked. Just my thoughts on that.

Plus CR brought their A team. Wanchope has been a quality forward in CONCACAF for many years. As Lurker said, Arena was more concerned about the performance of certain players than he was at winning the game. By the way, the US is now 0-6-1 in CR, so its not a game that they normally win.

Lets talk about how the USA just won the group. How about that?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard