Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lurker Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
L
I received a book for Christmas, “How Soccer Explains the World” by Franklin Foer, which I just finished reading. It’s a fairly heavy-handed book that explores the darker parts of the game. The first few chapters deal with the ultra-nationalism, ancient hatreds and hooligan violence associated with the game. The next few chapters deal with the effects of globalization in both positive and negative ways, both on the sport and the countries that live it. As a business, Foer’s description of the corruption and politics behind the game make Enron scandals look inconsequential. Finally, the book ends on a positive note, showing positive impacts from soccer in some parts of the world.

If you’re looking for a happy book about soccer, this isn’t it. If you’re looking for a decent book about international politics, globalization and the clash of cultures, this isn’t bad. Along the way, you’ll definitely learn something about the teams you probably cheer for.

If you’ve read it, I’d love to hear your comments. If you want more info about it, read the reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060731427/

G
throw in
throw in
G
went to books-a-million. today and didnt see it. just a heads up.

Link Copied to Clipboard