Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#67523 01/23/06 02:07 PM
L
lurker Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
L
In his first appearance with the MNT, Mr. Adu got a yellow card for the unsporting behavior of "diving". This doesn't bother me so much as his qoute after the game.

"It’s no big deal. Hey I just had to push it a little bit. You go down and it could go for you or it could go against you. It’s one of those things where you put the referee in a tough position."

So here we have a young player, who like it or not, has been cast as role model, advocating cheating and recommending it as a good strategic play.

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

#67524 01/23/06 03:41 PM
S
Goal
Goal
S
Two comments (without having seen Adu's dive):

1) Being a youngster who's still wet behind the ears, he needs to stay on his feet and play on. Players who do get the benefit of the doubt on questionable contact calls are vets who have earned some rep.

2) He should review the highlight video of George Best and see how you man up and play tough. It would serve him (and most strikers) well.

#67525 01/24/06 05:09 AM
L
lurker Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
L
I understand the tactical aspects of diving, and the possible advantage that can be gained. I've got a bigger problem with the effects of the post-game comments. If you are going to cheat (and diving is against the LOTG), maintain your innocence through the press conference. The next time that Freddy hits the ground in the penalty area, what are the odds that the referee is going to call it his way. If you've publicly proclaimed your intent to "put the referee in a tough position," chances are the referee is not going to make the call your way. If however you consistently try to sell the fact that you are hacked every time you touch the ball in the box, and the referees are not protecting you, you may be able to convince one ref to see it your way.

Either way, I'm still not going to coach it as a tactical set piece.

For what it's worth, I read the quote in the newspaper, but it's not on the US Soccer website. Perhaps the organization didn't feel it was appropriate either.

#67526 01/24/06 05:34 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
I didn't see the play either but I think there is a big difference in going to the ground when there is illegal contact, no matter how harsh, and diving. To me, diving is falling when you are not touched. From what I read, there was contact on the play.

#67527 01/23/06 09:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I will like to make a comment on that one.

Diving can be cheating, strategy, controversial, or even good for "skillfull" players.

As a player.

I do prefer to dive sometimes because it protects yourself, sometimes you have "uneskillful" players againts you that do not play the ball. They play "hard" but what they mean by "playing hard" is going crazy after the you.

There is a difference between playing like a "man" and or trying to protect yourself. Uneskillful players like Granvenson (whoever you spell that name) or some dumb dudes never play the ball, they can't even make a good pass of 10 yards, as a Coach I seriously would not have on my team kids like that. Physical soccer make the game look sorry... boring, and violent!

Some people exagerate, some people is on the ground all the time. I think that is not good but again, it happens in pro, it happens in Germany, Argentina, Brazil, everywhere.

As a ref (I used to ref little kids) you have to protect "the talented." Players like the one I mentioned before (Graveson) never play the ball... and i mean never, he has not skill, none, he needs to play rugby or something!

As a Coach I think its pretty sad, but again... hey you can get a penalty kick, that may be the game.

That's my opinion, as an "skillfull" player I do think diving is good sometimes (unless we get rid of uneskillfull players). I do not like the idea of winning an important game because of an unfair call. A Coach that encourage his players to do that, he'll always be a sencond place Coach, always!

#67528 01/23/06 10:59 PM
coach
coach
As long as the refs see it and call it, diving is no different than pulling someone's shirt or a push. Players try to get away with that too. Just needs to be called everytime. Freddy is a big paid pro now. He will have to suffer whatever consequences come with running his mouth.

#67529 01/24/06 01:28 AM
L
lurker Offline OP
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
L
Diving is a bit different from pulling someone's shirt or a push. According to the "Decisions of the International F.A. Board", incorporated into the Laws of the Game, "Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour." In other words, diving is a mandatory yellow card. A push or pull is just a foul (unless done in a violent or reckless manner).

Plus, I've never heard of a player bragging about pushing during a post-game interview.

PS. Feno, as a ref, you need to protect all of the players, not just the "talented".

#67530 01/24/06 01:35 AM
coach
coach
True, a dive is mandatory yellow, but it is still just a foul. He didn't violate any ethical code by diving. And don't you agree that Freddy is now a pro, and pros can say whatever they want to? Anyone can disregard his alleged advocation of 'cheating' or strategic tactical play by diving. He is just a player. He has no obligation to be an example or role model for anyone. He can brag about anything he wants. I don't think there are role models in sports, like there used to be. Real role models are parents and coaches.

#67531 01/24/06 03:26 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
I for one..am tired of people pretending like professional atheletes are/should be roll models for children.

Maybe it's just the way I was raised..but I didn't grow-up thinking professional atheletes were these super-human-epitome-of-mankind type figures.

I think society likes to asign professional atheletes this moral obligation so that we feel better about them being paid 1,000,000,000,000 to kick/throw/run with/hit/pass/shoot/etc a ball..

I agree with the Stroke here.. Adu has no moral obligation to us until you/we lobby somebody to put "Moral Conscience" into contracts. And..like I said..I don't care that much.

quote:
Plus, I've never heard of a player bragging about pushing during a post-game interview.
Did you just start following professional sports this week?

#67532 01/24/06 02:09 PM
coach
coach
Lurker's main point in initial post was the role model issue. I doubt he will 'lose any calls'. In any sport you win some calls & you lose some calls.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard