Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#67533 01/24/06 03:39 PM
S
Goal
Goal
S
This thread provides an excellent opportunity for me to fill your heads with more useless trivia.

1) When did Freddy Adu draw his first red card as a pro?
2) When did the Boy Wonder score his first pro goal?

Answer: They happened in the same game. March 20, 2004 against our very own Charleston Battery. The game was during the first Carolina Challenge Cup and Freddy's 1st game as a pro for DCU.

And now, some documentation. First, the foul very cheeky, IMHO. (And BTW, is it just me or does the ref look like Claudio Reyna?)

-

-

-

And now the goal, scored in front of the Battery's Ted Chronopolous. Defense wasn't good but the kid finished it off.

-

-

-

Here're all the photos from that game, shot by Andy Mead of Yellow Card Journalism. http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2004/0320_char_dc_ajm.php

#67534 01/24/06 04:30 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by kickman:
Missing the point: bragging is dumb tactically, not due to the role model issue. As lurker said, someone who tells the world he is trying to put the ref in a tough position will lose a lot of calls now.

I just.. don't think there is that much secrecy in the most popular sport in the world. Who didn't know that people dive to force a call? They do it all the time in EPL and EVERYWHERE.. get off Adu's back.

#67535 01/25/06 05:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From the book "The Champion Within, Training Soccer Champions, by Lauren Gregg with Tim Nash, Oct 1999, Chapter II, 1991: American Women Set Standard...US WNT reviews their performance in the 1991 World Cup...page 164, item 4 reads,

" We (US WNT) needed to be more sophisticated. We didn't know how to draw a foul. In fact, we didn't know how to get calls even when we were fouled. We would often fight to not fall over. That was a by-product of the culture we had created---don't complain;stay on your feet..."

#67536 01/25/06 05:10 AM
S
Goal
Goal
S
It's a 2 edged sword. I hope everyone remembers this thread when your favorite team loses a game due to a questionable PK call. I want to hear you congratulate your opponent for being so sophisticated.....

#67537 01/24/06 06:01 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
If only the best man always won!

..then no one would play the game.

#67538 01/25/06 01:27 AM
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Just watched the "dive" on USSoccer - "all access video" or something like that - see second half highlights (time for pet peave declaration [Mad] - why wasn't this game on TV? [Confused] - now back to the topic). The "dive" IMHO should have been a no call. If the defender doesn't jump up and get in Adu's face it probably would have been. It didn't appear that Freddy was trying to milk the contact, complaining of a broken foot or something - he just went down, no 2-1/2 flops on the ground, no raised arms asking the ref for the call. It's a no call. I believe the Ref was Mexican, not implying anything except I've seen a lot worse dives made in their pro league that resulted in no calls. The same is true of the European Leagues.

I'm not advocating diving, it doesn't belong in the game, neither does shirt pulling or pushing. But they're there.

#67539 01/26/06 03:43 AM
goal kick
goal kick
quote:
Originally posted by Fenomeno:
I will like to make a comment on that one.

Diving can be cheating, strategy, controversial, or even good for "skillfull" players.

As a player.

I do prefer to dive sometimes because it protects yourself, sometimes you have "uneskillful" players againts you that do not play the ball. They play "hard" but what they mean by "playing hard" is going crazy after the you. ...

That's my opinion, as an "skillfull" player I do think diving is good sometimes (unless we get rid of uneskillfull players). I do not like the idea of winning an important game because of an unfair call. A Coach that encourage his players to do that, he'll always be a sencond place Coach, always!

Well, I certainly don't think of myself as a "skillful player" but I really can't stand diving. I'm sick of having pro games constantly interrupted by players rolling around crying and writhing in pain after the slightest contact. Amateur refs are actually better about not falling for this sort of thing, and I've got no patience at all for a weekend warrior who dives. Maybe I'm not skillful, but if I go down, it's not an act. I am really surprised there's debate on this point.

#67540 01/26/06 07:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by LeGrazie:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenomeno:
I will like to make a comment on that one.

Diving can be cheating, strategy, controversial, or even good for "skillfull" players.

As a player.

I do prefer to dive sometimes because it protects yourself, sometimes you have "uneskillful" players againts you that do not play the ball. They play "hard" but what they mean by "playing hard" is going crazy after the you. ...

That's my opinion, as an "skillfull" player I do think diving is good sometimes (unless we get rid of uneskillfull players). I do not like the idea of winning an important game because of an unfair call. A Coach that encourage his players to do that, he'll always be a sencond place Coach, always!

Well, I certainly don't think of myself as a "skillful player" but I really can't stand diving. I'm sick of having pro games constantly interrupted by players rolling around crying and writhing in pain after the slightest contact. Amateur refs are actually better about not falling for this sort of thing, and I've got no patience at all for a weekend warrior who dives. Maybe I'm not skillful, but if I go down, it's not an act. I am really surprised there's debate on this point.
I like watching college footbal. Doesn't the quarterback (I hope I spelled that right) goes to the ground when he is about to get tackle? Why doesn't he takes it like a man and run the ball?

Is the quarterback trying to protect himself from an injury, or he is just being a chicken?

When you have skill, you try to avoid kids like that. You don't have to be Ronaldinho, but just try to play the ball, that would make the game look better.

In Argentina, Brazil, or any Latin country, when soccer gets too phisical, people leave the stadium. Soccer is a game of skill.

#67541 01/26/06 10:25 AM
N
kick off
kick off
N
Fenomeno - Who are you trying to fool? Be realistic about this subject. Are you trying to say the reason you see so many dives and faked injuries is because they are trying to protect themselves? I was born at night, but it was not last night. You see a player rolling around on the ground in agony and pain, they carry him off on a stretcher, they get him off the field, A MIRACLE HAPPENS, He has fully recovered!! He is back on the sideline waiting to go back into the game. All this happens within minutes. What a joke. Why all the acting??? Play the game. You call that skill?

#67542 01/27/06 05:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by NOTREBMALHH:
Fenomeno - Who are you trying to fool? Be realistic about this subject. Are you trying to say the reason you see so many dives and faked injuries is because they are trying to protect themselves? I was born at night, but it was not last night. You see a player rolling around on the ground in agony and pain, they carry him off on a stretcher, they get him off the field, A MIRACLE HAPPENS, He has fully recovered!! He is back on the sideline waiting to go back into the game. All this happens within minutes. What a joke. Why all the acting??? Play the game. You call that skill?

I never said it was skill... I said that it could be a way to protect yourself.

Diving is one thing, acting is a different story. Somebody said it before... it does not belong to the game, but it happens... Cheating is part of any sport, is part of life, whether we like to recognize it or not. Like I say, the best solution is encourage players to play the ball, try to avoid the boring physical game, develop skill, and of course CHEATING IS WRONG!

If Adu was as good as some people think he is. He would be on the newspaper because of his great perfomance, like Lionel Messi does, not because of a "controversy" diving scene.

Diving was well devoloped by a German, I don't remember his name. In one World Cup he got about 3 penalty kicks. He was some sort of "master" fooling refferes.

The diving I was talking about is to avoid hard tackles. I guess I went the wrong way. Diving looking for penalty kicks is absolutely wrong! The acting thing is also wrong, but is hard to judge if somebody is truly in paint at the moment.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard