Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#67622 02/01/06 05:57 AM
J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
I figure..since at least half of the posters here no longer play "competitive" soccer..(also known as "wash-ups) ..that a thread about Intramural soccer might be interesting.

(No. This does not mean we want a Men's League thread..because people that play Men's League..are old..and REALLY washed-up. We only care about the young wash-ups [Cool] )

Anyway...

I'll repost this from the Boys Forum:

In the first night of Clemson Men's Advanced Group B:

Real Everywhere - 0 (Irmo Wash-ups) (The name of the keeper escapes me..but people were saying he was going to try to walk onto the CU Varsity squad. Can't really say we tested him much..so I can't comment on his skill)
Rowdy Rebels - 0 (Seneca/Daniel/TL Hanna/Me Wash-Ups) Our keeper Steven Benson from Parkview HS in GA had a solid night. Made at least one key save.

Decent match for our first match. I was surprised that we played so passive. I had a little trouble staying back at fullback, but managed to mark my man well enough.

Next match is 10PM on the 7th against "Im With Search" ..let me know if you have trouble getting tickets. I'll hook you up.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Just found the rosters:

Rowdy Rebels:
Brett Nolan
Sean Nolan
Nick Kickham
Paul Hughes
Michael Hansen
Adam Frey
Brian Mahler
Stephen Marshall
Brian Hill
Steven Benson
Angelo Dinkov
Evan Kaiser
Jack Rozier
Colin Merrill
Joe Garber
Jonathan Walker

Real Everywhere:
Josh Endress
Tim Runyon
Mark Bowman
Andrew Coyle
Patrick Faust
Christopher Hostetler
Andrew McClure
Phuc Nguyen
Kerry Shay
Justin Willingham

Schedule

coach
coach
So you are in a lower div. or are they all similar ability? Also, is there a traveling club team at Clemson?

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
The Divisions are:

Novice A & B
Greek Novice
Greek Advanced
Advanced A & B

Advanced is the "highest" division.

Yes. There is a traveling club team. But for some reason this year..they decided you can't join second semester. So..yeah.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
This just in:

We(Rowdy Rebels) are ranked #4 in all of intramural soccer. However.. we received a sportsmanship rating of 2.00 so we won't be able to play in the playoffs.
(They started this rule two years ago..that if you are given a rating of less than 3 on a scale of 1 to 5..or get a red card at any point in the season..your team is out of the playoffs)

I'm thinking we'll probably protest..since it's the first game of the season and we're ALREADY disqualified.

That has been your CU Intramural breaking news.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
I don't know about you guys..but I need a break from all this NECSA/CESA and Public/Private stuff.

If you haven't noticed..it has been three weeks since my last update.

The match scheduled for 2/7 against "Im With Search" was postponed/cancelled because of rain. Haven't heard any word yet on if/when that is being rescheduled.

On 2/14 we(Rowdy Rebels) did have a match against "Kellys Krew" ..as a preface.. Kellys Krew features a few CU Club futbolers..

Long story short..we had the same ref as our first match which was frustrating..and after a missed offsides call Kellys Krew went up 1-0. After the half things got worse..as in..dirty physical (on both sides)..guess it looked like your average men's league game. Anyway.. they put two more in and we suffered a shameful 3-0 defeat.

Kellys Krew Roster:
Sean Brown
Bradley Richards
Andrew Wilson
Eric Boessneck
Bryce Dill
Glenn Bollinger
Ryan Bollinger
Charles Miraziz
Lee Brackett
William Hardee
Edward Jolly
Luke Dimaggio
Christopher Allen
Adam Smith
Steven Dejonckheere
Brandon Macias

This week however(today).. we played "Out of Your League" and were very much in their league.

Rowdy Rebels came out on top 3-0. 1-0 at the half.

Goals:
Brian Hill
Brett Nolan
Sean Nolan

..i had an assist(ish) from a throw-in and missed an OPEN goal (not so good in the air).

Out of Your League
Richard Leary
John Longshore
James Southwick
Brandon Aveille
Nick Picaut
Ryan Martin
Jacob Barwick
Grayson Miller
Blair Clarkson
John Burnett
Trevor Strange
Edward Reynolds
Siqiang Zhu

..next/final match 2/28 against "Stage 5 Clingers" 10PM

World Cup
World Cup
I'll be holding my breath, Jack. Be very careful out there. USC has a no slide rule that was ignored by an opposing team member in a match against my brother's squad. He slid, my brother fell, and now has a broken humerus.

Live and let live

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
We could probably use a no slide rule. People don't do it often..but when they do..it's usually malicious.

By the way.. turns out the sportsmanship rule is accumulative..so after a rating of 2 then 3 then 5.. we are back in the playoff hunt.

coach
coach
From the Clemson intramural soccer website, this pic at one of LEdudeman's practices. They role-play to learn the game. (I believe ledudeman is #5). Good idea!

-

goal
goal
hahahahahahaha, I just love finger puppets!

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..if only we had that many people show-up for practice.

World Cup
World Cup
I can't see it. My computer sucks...

coach
coach
It was not a pretty sight.

World Cup
World Cup
New computer, picture pops up. I played against that guy on the right in high school. Tough defender...

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Well folks. The regular season has come to an end. Yes..after a rigorous season that tested the will power and heart of all involved it is playoff time.

Tonight the Rowdy Rebels showed everyone how to go out in style. It was a very physical match against the "Stage 5 Clingers" aka ROTC Mongrels. But R&R made this senior night a special one putting away five unanswered goals and securing the goose egg.

Goals:
Evan Kaiser (PK)
Brian Hill
Paul(Moon) Hughes x2
Jack Rozier

3-0 at the half (i believe)

It will officially go down as a 1-0 forfeit win for us b/c one of their players didn't bring his ID card..so he couldn't officially check-in to the match. So they only had 10..and decided to forfeit rather than play a man down. This could actually potential hurt the Rowdy Rebels in our aspirations for a playoff berth.

The Rowdy Rebels share an identical record with Real Everywhere..whom they tied earlier in the season. Tonight Real Everywhere lost 1-0 to Kelly's Krew..who unfortunately put in 3 against the Rowdy Rebels. So it looks as though R&R may have just missed the playoff boat (or some other metaphor that makes sense) ..but you never know.

As soon as we get the word on our playoff future (or lack there of) I'll fill you all in..since you're dying to know!

Stage 5 Clingers
Steven Jackson
Russell Maben
Paul Faulkenberry
Francesco Cardella
Andrew Lundskow
Derek Heinz
Benjamin Heinz
Jared Kleiman
Jordan Faulkenberry
Richard Tuckfield
Andrew Lukshis
Richard Baker
Phillip Hoyt

..oh yeah. The skinny on my goal. I was playing Right-Mid ..while making a run into the box I was played a great ball by Adam Frey..let it meg myself..and the defender..turned the corner.. basically a one-on-one with the keep.. right foot bending near post..barely past the keep. Only sounds good because I'm telling the story..

..candidate for ugliest goal of the season. [Big Grin]

goal
goal
dont ever try a joke like that again, weak.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Touche' ..i feel the burn.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
I guess it was above your head WDIM. Good call on that one!

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Well.. it turns out playing in the advanced league counts for more than I thought..despite being 4th in our division.. we ended up being ranked 9th out of the 25 teams that made the playoffs (advanced, greek, & novice combined).

You can check out the brackets and what not here.

Anyway.. so..first round of the playoffs were tonight. Before I get to the Rowdy Rebels. I would like to say that the team I played for last year "The Sexy Beasts" ..now "Pat MaGroin" won their first round match 2-1 against fellow novice team "Wu-tang steamin rooster-tossers"

As for the Rowdy Rebels.. we won tonight 3-0 against the 24th ranked novice team "The Cru"

1-0 at half

Goals by:
Brett Nolan
Colin Merrill
Jonathan Walker

Pretty solid game overall..weren't really tested too much..lots of missed chances (Ex: I hit the crossbar with a wide open goal)

Tomorrow night we play (i believe) #8 Real Everywhere ..the team we tied 0-0 in our 2nd match of the season. Should be a close one.

That is all.

Edit:

The Cru
Zachery Ashton
Matthew Williams
Benjamin Glasemann
Andrew Pyrch
David Welday
Andrew Ross
Clifford Milner
Christopher Hewitt
Drew Powell
Nathan Wise
Richard Cook
Jonathan Douglas
Scott Lagstrom
Daniel Leach
Nathan Perron
Clint Cagle
Ray Hobbs
Lucas Young
Steven Hammett
William Reeside

World Cup
World Cup
It is funny. I care nothing about intramural soccer at Clemson, but the storyline has me hooked.

coach
coach
Who cares about this crap rec. ball?

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..it is a bit of a soap opera/circus.

I didn't mention that last night I didn't play most of the first half because I had to get a friend to bring his cleats. For the first time all season they checked for metal studs..so yeah. High drama indeed.

World Cup
World Cup
I care...and so do you judging by all of your post in the first page.

Apparently he cares about this as much as you do about Boston Parental Ethics towards officials . Everyone has their "thing". Why squash it?

coach
coach
Because it deserves to be squashed!
Besides, he missed an open goal shot!
Pure rec ball.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
A ball was played into the six.. I beat the keeper to it..but somehow the ball went straight up (my theory is that I suck)..it hit the crossbar. After the shot went off the keeper knocked me down..so..not totally "open"..just trying to keep it simple since I don't really take this too seriously.

coach
coach
A perfect ball played to you in the 6? And you blew it? Did you ask Chico what he would have done? And no red card on the keeper in the box? After he lightly touched you and knocked you down? What kinda #@&*% refs did you have?

World Cup
World Cup
I'm halfway through a letter ripping the intramurals department for allowing a) you to play in the highest league and b) for slow-trigger officials

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..i have played fullback most of my life.. this offense thing is pretty new to me.

Most of the refs are intramural players themselves.. I would definitely say there is a conflict of interest..but with 3 leagues and at least 30 teams a league.. they can't have Collina out there.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
The Rowdy Rebels fight on!

Not only was the cold numbing tonight..but some of the bone jarring contact made you want to head straight for the Icy/Hot and Tylenol. In a rematch of the first regular season match (a 0-0 tie) the #9 Rowdy Rebels faced #8 Real Everywhere.

Real set the tone in the first 30 seconds with a blatant foul on Brian Hill. Somewhere between the pushing, shoving, and dust..Evan Kaiser put a rocket past former Irmo keeper Josh Endress.

Just before the half the physicality reached a flashpoint when two players got tangled up and went to the ground. After players were separated physical play continued but luckily the half came quickly.

At the half I think both teams mellowed out..though the 2nd half was no pansy tryst.

About ten minutes into the 2nd half Brett Nolan put a ball onto the crossbar..and Paul "Moon" Hughes was there to finish with a header to put R&R up by two.

For the last ten minutes play was mainly in advantage of Real Everywhere. With about five minutes to go a PK was awarded to Real..but their player blasted a rocket right into the left post (four inches to the right and it would have been perfect). After that R&R pretty much had things rapped up. Aside from a card issued to a Real player for contact with our keeper.. the match concluded without incident.

Unfortunately though.. "Pat MaGroin" fell in PKs tonight to the Pi Kappa Phi - Bushpigs.

Rowdy Rebels play tomorrow against the winner of #1 "s factor" and #17 "WTE" ..either way it's going to be a tough match for the Rowdy Rebels.

S Factor has a record thus far of 4-0 ..while WTE is 3-2 but is an intramural powerhouse loaded with varsity atheletes. So..we shall see.

No goals..no missed open goals from me. Just played the mid.. That is all.

coach
coach
Sounds similar to a recap of a playoff game in the Red Neck League.

World Cup
World Cup
How's that?

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Tonight at 8:00 the #9 Rowdy Rebels will face #17 ranked WTE (Worst Team Ever). WTE defeated #1 ranked "S Factor" 2-1 to move onto the Quarterfinals.

WTE
Benjamin Passwater
Steve Pilar
Nick Bascom
Ryan Posey
Keith Godfrey
Thomas Lepoutre
Warren Scoggins
Ryan Fenton
Stephen Furr
Eric Odom
Robert Wiksell
Anthony Greer
Marc Leech
Cole Chason
Christopher Wade
Aaron Morgan
Nic Riddle
Ryan Stenvall

..might be some names there you've heard before.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Pretty decent game tonight for an intramural match. Don't know how else to say it..so I'll just say it.

Rowdy Rebels beat WTE tonight 2-1.

1st half R&R dominated play. About four missed opportunities against a suspect defense and keeper. Couldn't put anything away though.

0-0 at the half.

WTE's Cole Chason scored a shielded grounder from outside the 18 about 10 minutes into the 2nd half.
For the next five minutes R&R played on their heels but kept WTE at bay. With about five minutes left.. R&R sweeper Nick Kickham pushed up to mid, received a throw-in, and launched a floater from 40 yards out. I suppose the WTE keeper figured it would sail wide. But Nick's "shot" found the far post corner net to tie it up 1-1.

For the rest of the match R&R kept the ball on WTE's side of the field. With less than a minute to go Brian Hill dribbled in from the left 18..schooled at least 3 WTE defenders..dribbled back then put a beauty past WTE's keeper for the win.

The Rowdy Rebels advance to the Semifinals and will face "The Varsity" tomorrow at (i believe) 10PM. The winner of this match plays Wednesday for the Championship in Historic Riggs Stadium.

W
goal
goal
W
Cole Chason the punter for the TIger Football Team?

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Aye.

WTE is an intramural juggernaut. Varsity soccer players can't play intramural soccer..but other varsity players can. Football players play intramural basketball. Etc etc..

A win over a WTE team is pretty substantial.

I haven't checked out the whole team..but the names Cole Chason and Nic Riddle certainly stick out to me.

Cole's goal was ugly..but his overall play was pretty solid.

World Cup
World Cup
Sounds like Cole Chason is a better soccer player than a punter [Big Grin] . He's the worst punter I've ever seen in D1 college football.

W
goal
goal
W
AYE! That's why Mark bucholz will be first team punter! R jackson will RS.

PS Bad hair for Cole as well

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..i won't argue with you there.

He's nice enough though..but I suppose you should be if your job is up in the air.

W
goal
goal
W
or if you are the punter that avg's 34 yads a punt! hahha

How good of a player is he?

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Like I said..he was a solid player. He held his own on the right wing. Decent touch and seemed like he had a natural feel for the game (unlike a lot of WTE players..who are just exceptional athletes) I would definitely say Cole was in their top five players...but his goal was a fluke and there were definitely greater threats on the field.

D
throw in
throw in
D
Jack - do you know anything about the WTE/sfactor match?

My son plays for sfactor and I haven't been able to get him to talk about the match. Heard it was 0-0 and went to PK's? sfactor is a mostly Summerville group - S'ville High, Pinewood, Fort D. with a couple of BE players in the mix.

Oh, congratulations on the win.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Dain-

Unfortunately..I don't know anyone on "s factor" personally..and because playoffs are four games in four days..there isn't really much time to scout other teams. You just show up and play.

If your son's team is who I think they are..then we scrimmaged them before the season started..and they were a very impressive bunch.

I don't know how it is at other schools..but Clemson Intramural really does have some quality players.

As for R&R- It has been confirmed that we'll be playing "The Varsity" at 10PM tonight. From what I hear these guys are mainly old Daniel/Seneca guys (our guys know a bunch of their guys)..so..should be a pretty intense match.

The Varsity
Ryan Johnston
James Orders
Roland Knight
Justin Cooley
Erik Forbes
John Cooper
Brian Sestito
Geoff Shyatt
Patrick Schwedler
Spencer Smith
Andrew Corontzes
Tanner Leggett
Brian Kniery
John Beeco
Phillip Thomas

Former CU Varsity players

W
goal
goal
W
that team is loaded. Forbes and cooper used to play on CU's team. Tanner Leggett can play as well.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
I believe John (Adam) Beeco played for Lander and Brian Kniery for Wofford at some point too.

World Cup
World Cup
Stephen Furr

He sounds familiar...

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Stephen Furr

2005 2nd team placekicker.
2002 handled kickoff duties in 13 games.

..he was pretty good for WTE.

coach
coach
LEDudeman,
Not that I care, but could you possibly request that your next game be played on Bowman Field so we could watch?

http://camera.clemson.edu/

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..is that the 3rd or 4th time you've said "not like I care" ..hmm curious.

(perhaps you saw me out there moments ago Mr. Peeping Tom)

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
The improbable has become reality.

Tonight the Rowdy Rebels (minus captain Brett Nolan and Michael Hansen[broken ribs]) defeated "The Varsity" (who were also missing players..but I assure you..had all they needed..heh).

R&R came out strong as we have been lately. Evan Kaiser opened up scoring about five minutes in with a header off a throw-in from Jack Rozier. The Rowdy Rebels controlled most of the first half but in the waining minutes let Forbes, Leggett, Phillips, and Cooper get some space. Bad idea. After a few near misses a tackle from behind gave Erik Forbes a PK opportunity and he buried it.

1-1 at the Half.

Rowdy Rebels came out strong in the 2nd half. It was pretty hard to keep momentum with the ball sailing out of bounds and down a huge hill every 2-3 minutes. But eventually R&R forced a corner. Goal #2 was an own goal. Service from Sean Nolan, header by Paul "Moon" Hughes on the far post..I don't know who headed it in from The Varsity..but the goal was well deserved. With about three minutes to go Jonathan Walker schools at least two defenders then puts one into the far side net..just out of the reach of the keeper for the insurance goal. With under a minute to go The Varsity pressed pretty hard and eventually put in a goal..but it was too little too late.

Rowdy Rebels now 6-1-1 will face 7-0 Kelly's Krew.

Championship match will be March 15th (next Wednesday) on Historic Riggs Field at 8:00PM.

R&R's only loss was a 3-0 loss to Kelly's Krew in the 2nd match of the season. Luckily we've improved a lot since then..so it should be a pretty good match.

On a personal note: w00t!

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
More personal note stuff:

Say what you will..intramural is crap..that may be. But I haven't been this excited to play soccer in a long time.

I could probably write a thesis now about competition.

But instead I'll just say.. that a bunch of old HS wash-ups beat some pretty serious competition tonight(and last night)..and it's pretty cool.

That's all I've got. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow..so you won't be graced with my presence for a few days. Play nice.

coach
coach
Graced?
But seriously, I wish you well with the teeth extraction. It is best to not have any novocaine or other anethestic because the Dr. needs to know how your nerve endings are responding.
As an aside, since intramural ball is mostly for fun with a significant dose of competitiveness, what is the traveling club team at Clemson like? Who is usually on it and do they play other colleges?
GOOD LUCK again with that extraction.

World Cup
World Cup
No novocaine or anethestic?

So hundreds of dentist across the world are doing it wrong?

My most fond memory of intramural soccer is being late for a game and flying down past the stadium to get there in time. Lurking in the corner was the Po-Po who snagged me for a 50mph in a 25mph zone...but it was worth it because we beat the tall goofy kid who would yell "Ole!" after every goal.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
I already had two out without being put to sleep..everything went fine. I was pretty much normal in about 12hrs..but thanks anyway.

As for CU Club ball:

As I said before..I didn't get to try out this year because they just implemented this rule about no tryouts second semester. However, two guys from the year before me at Lugoff-Elgin (Joe Garber and John Jordan) played CU Club ball their freshmen year. From what they said club ball is fairly competitive. There are two squads- "Orange" and "White" ..Orange being the "varsity"

Umm..that's pretty much all I know other than most of the guys on Kelly's Krew play CU Club.

And if I remember correctly they go on at least one big tournament trip (to Virginia or something). I'm no authority on CU Club ball though.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
For all you concerned fans out there. My extraction went even better than the first time.

I was off the pain meds by 8PM yesterday..and because I had one side done at a time..I'm already eating solid food. No reason why I won't play in Wednesday's Championship.

..unless I'm injured in our first Intramural Dodgeball game (Monday). [Cool]

corner kick
corner kick
jack rozier is bringing new meaning to a "well rounded" student.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..freshman year excluded..sure.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
The Cinderella Season for the 2006 edition of the Rowdy Rebels has come full circle.

Tonight on Historic Riggs Field The Rowdy Rebels faced their conference foe Kelly's Krew in the Clemson University Intramural Soccer Championship.

Unlike the first match (3-0 Kellys Krew) tonight's match went scoreless through regulation and two overtime periods. Rowdy Rebels came out ontop 3-2 in PKs.

I have to say..R&R was fortunate to survive regulation and overtime. Kellys Krew had about a 3 to 1 shot ratio advantage..but our keeper Steveo came up HUGE for us on multiple occasions.

R&R wasn't all defense though..we had some excellent chances created by Jonathan Walker and Sean Nolan..and nearly won the game w/ 2 minutes left in regulation with a header from Brian Hill that went just over the crossbar.

PKs

1st Kelly's Krew shooter hit the post
2nd was blocked by our keeper (crucial stop)
3rd & 4th were made
5th put over the crossbar

Personal note: ..my..fitness..is..crap. I'm happy because we won..but depressed because Rigg's kicked my ass. Heh. I'm happy with my play though and am always up for a free shirt. So yeah.. that's it.. it's over. Hope this whole thing has been in some way entertaining for you guys..if not a way for you to waste a few minutes. As for me.. it's been a blast. I love soccer. [Big Grin]

goal
goal
So is that the end? I heard...dont know if it is true...that USC's and Clemson's top intramural teams play each other. U know anything about that?

Congrats

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
That's the first I've heard of anything like that. I'd definitely be up for it..but yeah.. I can't confirm or deny..though I don't think it's true.

W
goal
goal
W
Congrats Jack.

coach
coach
Dudeman,
Props, I guess....... But you don't wanna play Our Gamecocks top intramural team. Talk about a but whupping!

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..just a few pics from last night.

-
Blurry one of me in action.

-
On the attack.

-
Defense.

-
..back in the attack.

-
..and of course. Weezing on the sideline.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
do teams go out and recruit. me and a few friends were in hibbets sports and we were juggling a disply ball and some guy walked in and just came straight to us talking about playing in some league. then he left the store without even looking at anything.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..most teams are just groups of friends. So..that guy probably doesn't have any friends.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Just one of Stevo's big SAVES.

goal
goal
not bad

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
..just to put faces to names.. this is before the Semi-Final match against The Varsity.
[Minus Brett Nolan and Michael Hansen]

-
L to R: Paul "MOON" Hughes, Adam Frey, Brian Mahler, Nick Kickham, Joe Garber, Brian Hill, Colin Merrill, Evan Kaiser, Sean Nolan, Jack Rozier, Jonathan Walker - Front: Steven Benson

...and no word of any match with USC. Sorry kids.

goal
goal
Yea i didnt really think the USC vs Clemson game would ever happen........Maybe it could. I will shoot you more info about the winning team when the playoffs are over. Next week is last week of regulation.

Maybe if they dont put it together we could, or atleast try

goal
goal
How many games does your team play in a season?

USC plays 4 during a 5 week period, I think that the seasons should be expanded a little.

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
5 games in 5 weeks (one every Tuesday [or whatever day you sign-up for])

5 games from playoff play-in to the championship.

25 teams in the playoffs out of 2 Advanced Divisions, 2 Novice Divisions, 1 Advanced Greek Division, and 1 Novice Greek Division ..46 teams in total.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard