Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think this is a good topic.

I've traveled a lot since I have family all over the States (LA, Miami, SF, NC, NYC, Atlanta, DC, TX). I think Los Angeles which I consider my hometown (I love LA dude, I cant wait to go back) is the only place in America where soccer is really serious now days. Los Angeles Galaxy and Chivas are some good examples of it.

Around here, club soccer is good, its kind of expensive though, HS is not really a big deal, 4 or 5 competitive games in the season, when I was a senior we used to beat teams like 15-0.

I guess College is the only place where you can see a good bit of the most beatiful sport in the world. There is a quote that says.

"70 Billion Hooligans can't be wrong."

Here, read what the ESPN crew think about soccer.

http://espn.go.com/eoe/rome62003.html

quote:
Lastly, further proof that I just don't get the passion and creativity of soccer or evidence that soccer player and soccer fan takes himself way too seriously, soccer star, at least I'm told he's one, David Beckham got all bent out shape recently when he and his former spice girl wife asked a Beverly Hills shoe store owner to close the store so they could shop. The owner, a smart guy, said he had no idea who Beckham was and refused. When Beckham said he and his wife were a big deal in England, the owner smacked him again saying, you're not there, you're here, and I've never heard of you, the store stays open. Becknaldo is a beauty: imagine this guy rolling into store in Beverly Hills and saying, "Becknaldo and his wife are here, lock the doors, we need some socks. . I don't know how to break this to you, Becknaldo: but you're a soccer player: unless your name is Alexi Meola-Chasti-Donna-Hamm, no one in this country is going to know who you are or care, much less close a store for you. If you want to be treated like John Lennon, you're going to have to stay home.

I think the "big boys" of ESPN haven't been exposed to the real deal yet (futbol). I think!

Henry and Beckam haven't impress the American "athletic" crew. That's just my point of view.

I wonder what would Michael Jordan, Mohammed Ali, Koby Bryan or Shaq Oneal will think of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Maradona, Gerrard, Zidane, Batistuta, Hugo Sanchez...

As far as I know America hasn't been exposed to Latino-Futbol yet... that's just my opinion, not to make controversy. Certainly if you think of soccer by watching David Beckam playing... your opinion on soccer will be different that what us(Latinos) think of soccer.

Alright, later dudes.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
feminin when are you going to take life serious. honestly just do us a favor and take your life. i mean if you want to offend americans and our way of life well youve just done. i think we should close this topic just to save feminin some face. just close it before more people see it and respond to this myopic idiot.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
oh yeah way to bring race into the mix you f/n idiot. you call everyone else racist but your just displaying what you really are. gosh im tired

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by SwanseaWinger07:
oh yeah way to bring race into the mix you f/n idiot. you call everyone else racist but your just displaying what you really are. gosh im tired

Is just my opinion on that ESPN article. Go to the link that is below. There is nothing racist in that. Any more comments.

goal
goal
WOW, well said winger07! I guess you boys from Swansea can bring a little something to the board! Feminin is a joke, and if he LOVES LA so much why is it so hard for him to get there? I guess the enticing Columbia MAN's league is to much for him. Go for it feminin, get yourself another trophy, I beleive in you. haha

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College, Pro & International Soccer
This is the place to discuss, college, pro, or international soccer!

quote:
Originally posted by AH2K3:
WOW, well said winger07! I guess you boys from Swansea can bring a little something to the board! Feminin is a joke, and if he LOVES LA so much why is it so hard for him to get there? I guess the enticing Columbia MAN's league is to much for him. Go for it feminin, get yourself another trophy, I beleive in you. haha

Go to the High School side of the board amigo, oh wait you didn't even make the High School team...

S
Goal
Goal
S
I'll take a honest stab at answering the question.

Q: When is America going to take soccer seriously?
A: We already have, in the 1920's.

This website has the best history of US soccer on the web. Check it out if you haven't already.

An Overview of American Soccer History

A few excerpts from the above:

quote:
During the mid 1920's, the crowds for games were large, with 10,000 a not uncommon attendance figure. This was on a par with the NFL for much of the 1920's.
quote:
By the mid 1920's, the ASL had reached such a level of prominence that major foreign teams were enticed to perform major tours of the US playing against top ASL and other clubs. Sparta Prague and Vienna Hakoah, an all-Jewish side both toured the US in 1926, to record-breaking crowds. Hakoah's first three games drew 25,000, 30,000 and 36,000 spectators respectively, culminating in the famous May 1 1926 match at the polo grounds in front of 46,000 spectators, a crowd record that stood until 1977 when three consecutive records were set by the Pele-led New York Cosmos.
We have a rich soccer history that has been all but forgotten and buried. The real question is when will we as a nation rediscover the sport.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by Soccer Watcher:
I'll take a honest stab at answering the question.

Q: When is America going to take soccer seriously?
A: We already have, in the 1920's.

This website has the best history of US soccer on the web. Check it out if you haven't already.

An Overview of American Soccer History

A few excerpts from the above:

quote:
During the mid 1920's, the crowds for games were large, with 10,000 a not uncommon attendance figure. This was on a par with the NFL for much of the 1920's.
quote:
By the mid 1920's, the ASL had reached such a level of prominence that major foreign teams were enticed to perform major tours of the US playing against top ASL and other clubs. Sparta Prague and Vienna Hakoah, an all-Jewish side both toured the US in 1926, to record-breaking crowds. Hakoah's first three games drew 25,000, 30,000 and 36,000 spectators respectively, culminating in the famous May 1 1926 match at the polo grounds in front of 46,000 spectators, a crowd record that stood until 1977 when three consecutive records were set by the Pele-led New York Cosmos.
We have a rich soccer history that has been all but forgotten and buried. The real question is when will we as a nation rediscover the sport.

I know most of the history... but somehow "the big boys" still don't recognize soccer as an american competitive sport.

Professional Football players, Basketball players, Hockey players, even Beisball players still trash soccer a lot, on tv, radio, and everywhere. Not to mentions comedians... They describe soccer as a "foreing hobby" as an sport for "third world countries." Is Germany a third world country I wonder?

I was looking into an article the other day, published by a Harvard graduate. He was talking of soccer as a thread... soccer is still a joke for a lot of Americans, mostly conservative Americans or those from the East side of the country...

Americans that travel a lot, that have actually been out of the States, is kind of embarrasing looking to all the World Super powers competing at a high level, and the US is still another guest... I don't think America has any chance of winning this World Cup, neither the next one. I wish it would be different though.

Just some thoughts on this sensitive issue.

I have been out of the US twice already since I moved from ES... people always come out with the same questions... when is America going to win a World Cup? How much more time do you guys need?

The answer is obvious.

Give us 5 or 10 more years... Do we really need all that time, living in the most powerful country in the world?

goal
goal
feminin, you think you are better than me because I didn't make a team? That's laughable!

When is America going to take soccer seriously? Maybe you should ask that of your own countrymen? ....oh OK then come back when you are better! Stop trying to give us that tired old line of "latino soccer is the best". We all know their strenghts and we know that the popularity of American soccer is not as great, just as you are not as great and if you were you would be playing for your country or maybe even a real college team, Columbia MAN's league does not make you a good player. Why don't you try to do something to make soccer here "more popular" instead of trying to remind everyone that "american soccer is not good and is boring and unpopular" and "Latino soccer is so great, I pee myself everytime I think about it"
Your post are neither interesting nor ground breaking, they are just cheap shots at anything other than DF, MAN's league, and Latino soccer...kinda like all my post to you!

Later dudes?!....really, could you be more of a dork?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote:
Originally posted by AH2K3:
feminin, you think you are better than me because I didn't make a team? That's laughable!

When is America going to take soccer seriously? Maybe you should ask that of your own countrymen? ....oh OK then come back when you are better! Stop trying to give us that tired old line of "latino soccer is the best". We all know their strenghts and we know that the popularity of American soccer is not as great, just as you are not as great and if you were you would be playing for your country or maybe even a real college team, Columbia MAN's league does not make you a good player. Why don't you try to do something to make soccer here "more popular" instead of trying to remind everyone that "american soccer is not good and is boring and unpopular" and "Latino soccer is so great, I pee myself everytime I think about it"
Your post are neither interesting nor ground breaking, they are just cheap shots at anything other than DF, MAN's league, and Latino soccer...kinda like all my post to you!

Later dudes?!....really, could you be more of a dork?

First of all you start for introducing yourself. Second what do you know about soccer? Who do you play for? Whats the point of coming to the "College, Pro & International Soccer side."

Why don't you go to the High School side and post about how Swansea is going to win the state this year?

What the kids that never made the High School team need to do to make it!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard