goal
OP Offline
goal
W
Check this out.

Red Bull

goal
goal
I think that is great for US major league soccer. Get big mainstream investors in the teams and it can only get bigger and better. Go Red Bull New York!

world cup
world cup
My Metros jersey is now an old-school classic!

corner kick
corner kick
are you guys crazy? Red Bull New York is the stupidest name i have ever heard.

J
world cup
world cup
J
Are YOU crazy? aleksandrus11 is the stupidest username ever..like OMG and schtuff.

..seriously though.. i think this is pretty cool.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
THIS IS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS LIKE U CAN BRING A RED BULL CAN TO A GAME AND THEY KNOW WHO UR SUPPORTING, SCREW BUYING THE TEAM JERSEY LMFAO LOL !!!!!!!!!!

goal
goal
so when i make my jeger bomb i am actually supporting the team?

goal
goal
But honestly they could have come up with a more creative name then that

J
world cup
world cup
J
..may have had one too many *jager*

[Wink]

Party on Wayne.

World Cup
World Cup
It's a marketing tool. I belive you will find other examples of that all over the world. TSN soccer club in Wales I believe (Total Sports/Soccer Network) is the only business example that comes to mind. In South America you find sister clubs named after founding European clubs (Liverpool, Barca and Arsenal) and then of course the Chivas from Guatemala. You've got Ajax in South Africa, Feyenoord in Ghana, and Newcastle in Austrailia. I've gotten of topic. Perhaps they'll give out free "bombs" with every goal scored.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i think it is a pretty sweet name for a team, better than metrostars!!!

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Maybe it could be like

The Red Bulls

instead of imitating the drink

Red Bull

just some info, the first option of The Red Bulls signifies red bulls running aka something like a lamborghini logo, the second is red bull, which means soda cans on ur jersey, it will end up looking like a mexican league jersey lol

i have to say, metrostars sounds kinda classy, but the only good part about that name is stars, metro, wtf mate lol

brace
brace
I always hated the name New York/ New Jersey Metrostars.

I love the new name!

J
world cup
world cup
J
Yeah..I have to buy this one Woody. "Metrostars" give me a break! [insert joke about J.A. Adande's mother] Red Bull New York for the win!

..my tv only has two channels. Off and Sportscenter(unfortunately)

corner kick
corner kick
no, no, no. metrostars: Metro-a shortened form of metropolitan, as in the metropolitan area of a city, which is basically the entire new york area. Stars obviously denotes that they are the stars of the metropolitan, the stars of new york. Forgive me, but i'm just not too big on advertising being the main aim of the sports world. I like sports teams names to mean something, have a history. Metrostars reflects the city, much like the New York mets of the MLB.
I mean, just imagine if celtic of glasgow (which was named to reflect the irish and scotish heritage in the founders of the club) were bought out by ford motor company, and renamed glasgow motors. How well would that go over? I may just be crazy, but I watch sports to enjoy them, and I like to see teams which reflect the area from which they play.
The very problem with American soccer, is that we as a people don't care enough about our own league, and our own teams. Until we do, we will remain to be only a second rate destination for the beautiful game.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
but see i mean celtic and glasgow have a history, the mls is what in its 11th season, to me that's not history

goal kick
goal kick
quote:
Originally posted by aleksandrus11:
are you guys crazy? Red Bull New York is the stupidest name i have ever heard.

Come on, Real Salt Lake has got to be the dumbest name ever. It's just plain ridiculous.

L
corner kick
corner kick
L
I understand what everyone is saying but we are talking about alot of money for a league that is still getting off the ground. this is huge for mls.

Brace
Brace
I like the "Red Bull" moniker better than the MetroStars personally, but I know that doesn't count for much. Maybe they'll be as "hard" as their namesake intends!

corner kick
corner kick
Just saw the "Red Bulls" (as the announcer insisted on calling them) play in the carolina challenge cup versus DC united. Every time the announcer said "Red Bulls" or "Red Bull New York", it was met with laughs from the crowd (especially the drunk guy behind us, he laughed at everything). Maybe this tells us what the public thinks about the New York team's new name.

world cup
world cup
After Red Bull brouhaha, no word yet on next NJ team's name
By GEOFF MULVIHILL, Associated Press Writer
Published: Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Updated: Tuesday, March 21, 2006

GLASSBORO, N.J. (AP) - Major League Soccer officials say it's too early to talk about what name an expansion team proposed for southern New Jersey might take.

That's a good way for MLS President Mark Abbott to duck the question of whether the expansion team might have a Jersey-centric moniker or one that references nearby Philadelphia.

Rowan University and MLS officials this week unveiled plans for a new stadium on Rowan's West Campus. There are plenty of hurdles before it's a done deal, but officials hope to have a stadium built in time for the 2009 season.

Abbott said this week that until an owner is in place for the team, it's premature to discuss a team name.

The name question is a sensitive one elsewhere in New Jersey. Gov. Jon S. Corzine, among others, are upset that MLS' MetroStars are planning to become known as "Red Bull New York."

The problem, politicians say, is that the New Jersey-based team, which plays at Giants Stadium and is planning to move in two years to a new soccer-specific stadium, has no solid link to New York.

One odd factor when it comes to professional soccer in New Jersey are the planned locations for both new stadiums: The northern New Jersey team's arena is planned for Harrison in Hudson County while the southern venue would be built in Harrison Township, Gloucester County.

World Cup
World Cup
Red Bull New Jersey? Just doesn't roll off the tongue...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard