Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
http://www.cofcsports.com/news/item.aspx?/sports/wsoc/news|966

This press release was obviously created before we added NSCAA All-American Christian Patton from Brookland-Cayce.

B
throw in
throw in
B
it is still sad that of the six from the press realase, zero are from south carolina.

Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Well, we did get Patton. Also, please tell me another S.C. player who would have been....

#1- better than any of these recruits
AND
#2- wanted to come to the College

Too many people criticize college coaches for not recruiting in-state players. However, this is how a college coach makes their living. Why should they take an inferior player just b/c she or he is a S.C. player?

Also, I still remind you that it is a two way street. Many people say, "why do S.C. colleges not have more S.C. players?" But they fail to ask, "why do so many S.C. players leave the state to play or choose not to continue their playing careers?" When it comes down to it, college coaches have to get the players they feel are going to fit best in their program and help them win.

Please justify why a coach at a S.C. college should take a player simply b/c she or he is from S.C. over a superior player who happens to be from out-of-state.

B
throw in
throw in
B
voice of reason, I completely understand the argument. It is the sad truth. And I know a different post earlier this year went over the reasons and beat it to death but perhaps my anger comes from the fact that when attending the C of C, Clemson, or USC games, I feel no connection to any of the players. However, coaches are not going to design their recruiting process around me and my feelings, but perhaps this is why I enjoy going to the Division II games around the state. Limestone, Barton, etc. have many players from SC. Being a senior in high school means that I have played with many of the college players on the pitch for these schools, and it is a highlight to point at the forward and say, "i used to play with/against her when she went to so and so high school."

world cup
world cup
VOR,

You are correct, a college coach must win and needs to recruit and develop the best talent possible regardless of state of residency.

I see very, very few SC girls leaving to play college soccer out-of-state. I understand that there are probably more "very good" players who decide not to play in college than there are girls continuing their careers outside the borders.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[TVOR] Why should they take an inferior player just b/c she or he is a S.C. player? [...] Please justify why a coach at a S.C. college should take a player simply b/c she or he is from S.C. over a superior player who happens to be from out-of-state.<<

I once asked pretty much the same thing; I was told it was "chemistry."

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
I know one very talented high school girl who left South Carolina for Utah. She is now being actively recruited by several D-1 programs. According to her dad, there is no way those opportunities would have been available here.

Just one point of circumstantial data for Hurst et al.

S
coach
coach
S
lurker: Did he hypothesize why he thought that there was no way those opportunities would have been available here?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Question...What should the state of South Carolina be doing to bring our girls to the level where they could be recruited within the state?

Goal
Goal
If this statement is true:
quote:
When it comes down to it, college coaches have to get the players they feel are going to fit best in their program and help them win.
Then don't you think the D1 college coaches in South Carolina might realize that their "current recruiting methods" aren't working?

Charleston (7-9-2)
Clemson (9-9-2)
Coastal Carolina (13-6)
Furman (14-6-2)
South Carolina (6-12)
Winthrop (8-11-1)
Wofford (5-12-3)

By my count that is two teams with winning records this past fall (with a majority of non-South Carolina players).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard