Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
coach
coach
S
coldhardtruth: In my opinion, the most important thing that the state of South Carolina needs is more kids playing soccer. Note: This isn't an original idea (I don't have very many of those); this is the basis behind the "USSF pyramid" that has recreation as the foundation.

I just wish we had a group who had a mission that was associated with the promotion and development of youth soccer. Sigh...

S
coach
coach
S
Cola Fan: I agree that it was a bad year for a lot of women's soccer programs.

My problem is that when I put myself in the shoes of those coaches, I can't imagine deciding that a good way to better my recruiting would be to increasingly restrict my recruiting candidate pool to a small, relatively soccer-poor state.

world cup
world cup
Cola,

To support your point, look at the D2 schools as well. Unfortunately their records weren't up to par either.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
I agree that a college coach recruits to win. They must find the best players for their programs. I did find it interesting though, that when Western Carolina started their program, they recruited heavily in Greenville (makes sense, only 2 hours away). By their third season, they were regular season champs in the Southern Conference. From the beginning they were competitive with Furman and Wofford. Obviously some coaches "missed" these players or didn't recruit them hard enough. I think part of the problem stems from perception. But of course, that is only my perception.

Brace
Brace
Part of the problem is there is not enough solid clubs/teams in the state that can get into the 'right' club tournaments to get the players exposed to the coaches. College coaches do not recruit at HS games, and unless a player is very pro-active, it would be difficult if not impossible for them to be recruited. Looking at CESA, Bridge, and Charlotte (girls), players are finding homes but very difficult if you can't play in front of the coaches.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[lurker] I know one very talented high school girl who left South Carolina for Utah. She is now being actively recruited by several D-1 programs. According to her dad, there is no way those opportunities would have been available here.<<

>>[Chico] lurker: Did he hypothesize why he thought that there was no way those opportunities would have been available here?<<

Here's why I was asking. I know of one girl who decided to move to Utah last spring at the beginning of her senior (U18) year. She said that she moved because she wanted to get seen by BYU. Unfortunately, within about a month of her going she reportedly tore her ACL; however, I've heard that she will be going to BYU and will try to play.

This young lady was being recruited by at least one D1 school and there was supposed to be a lot of interest in her in the college pool games. Very athletically gifted player. Her fellow forward on that U17 team, Shannon Bigbie, signed with USC.

S
coach
coach
S
>>[kdlsc] I agree that a college coach recruits to win. They must find the best players for their programs. I did find it interesting though, that when Western Carolina started their program, they recruited heavily in Greenville (makes sense, only 2 hours away). By their third season, they were regular season champs in the Southern Conference. From the beginning they were competitive with Furman and Wofford. Obviously some coaches "missed" these players or didn't recruit them hard enough. I think part of the problem stems from perception. But of course, that is only my perception.<<

You make some great points.

I saw Western Carolina scrimmage last Sunday. They only had 10 players (had to borrow a keeper) and basically wore down after the first half. However, in the first half they were absolutely wonderful. Speed, size, strength, tactical awareness -- I was really impressed. They seemed to certainly deserved their wins and their berth in the NCAA tournament.

I know that Natasha Moore (SGU/Hillcrest) went there and was a senior last season. I've also heard that Kelly Gulledge (CESA) signed this year. Are there other SC players there or that have signed?

S
coach
coach
S
>>[Import] Part of the problem is there is not enough solid clubs/teams in the state that can get into the 'right' club tournaments to get the players exposed to the coaches. College coaches do not recruit at HS games, and unless a player is very pro-active, it would be difficult if not impossible for them to be recruited. Looking at CESA, Bridge, and Charlotte (girls), players are finding homes but very difficult if you can't play in front of the coaches.<<

I agree with the fact that some wonderful players are being overlooked because of the lack of club/team support. Take a look at the average goal differential of the second-place South Carolina team in RIIIPL-East. We had teams with goal differentials of -40!

It's hard some times to walk the sidelines of an RIIIPL-East U17G game and not run over at least a couple of D1 and D2 coaches. But if these coaches see a completely one-sided game with a a wonderful player's teammates not able to receive, trap, or pass -- it's going to make it awfully difficult for that college coach to tell the true attributes of that wonderful player.

world cup
world cup
If we had a half dozen D3 schools in South Carolina, would we have twice as many girls playing college soccer? These rosters would be chock full of SC residents. Do some of our better club/HS players choose not to play at an in-state D1 or D2 school because the commitment is too much?

The closest D3 schools to FM/RH are Greensboro College, Guilford, Roanoke, Lynchburg and Emory. You can't use your Palmetto or Life scholarships to help pay the way (and there are no athletic scholarships) so these options are very expensive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard