Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#68540 05/18/06 07:48 PM
goal
goal
The referee admitted he made a mistake, I think UEFA made a mistake appointing an officiating crew from Norway in the first place. They were clearly not up to the task.

"I would have liked to have taken a few more seconds before I made a decision," Hauge told a Norwegian newspaper.

"If I'd done that, I could have given a goal and given a yellow card as well."

Thats all well and good for him to say now, but UEFA should really have the best officials at the Champions League final, regardless of where they're from (obviously excluding the nations contesting the final).

It isn't sour grapes from Arsenal at all and I believe that they have legitimate grievances. Early doors they looked to have settled into the final far better than Barca did and created far more chances. Henry, who is usually calm and collected no matter what happened on the field was clearly upset and felt that the ref had been wearing a Barca shirt.

All said, neither team covered themselves in glory - the referee was a total disgrace and ruined what could have been the greatest final ever played, Henry won out in the battle of the stars against a Ronaldinho who looked more like his old self at Paris St.Germain (yes he did actually play for someone else other than Barca) as he was moody, hot&cold and when he did have the ball he was selfish and failed to use it effectively.

-

The only thing that was proven last night was what Jose Mourinho has been saying for the last few months - Barcelona are the greatest team in the world (at beating teams with ten players).

#68541 05/18/06 08:17 PM
G
goal kick
goal kick
G
marcelo balboa (spelling?) is a horrible commentator.. he stutters and cant get his words out at all.. he makes stupid and repetitive points and im very disappointed to hear hes one of the main commentators for the world cup this summer..

#68542 05/19/06 01:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well I gave Arsenal a lot of stick last year and this year they were a different team (much improved without Viera) and better to watch.

After the same Ref messed up so badly in the Chelsea home leg against Barcelona, (Mesi vs Del Horno - another Red card) I cannot believe he was chosen for this game. Doubt he'll ever do another final with an English team in it.

Based on the fact a Barcelona player had to commit three bad fouls before he saw a yellow, I have to say I thought he favored them.

On the night Barcelona deserved to win, but probably due to the 10 men and in my opinion the very poor refereeing in general. Of course we'll never know if 11 v 11 would have meant Arsenal would win. Eto had no space to work due to Arsenal being forced to defend, and that may have helped them stave off Barcelona for 75 minutes.

Let's hope things even themselves up and Arsenal get the luck (or a Ref with an English Grandfather) next time.

#68543 05/19/06 02:48 AM
M
kick off
kick off
M
how bout that half time commentary from the ABC actor? what was his name? does he really know a thing about soccer? i hate ABC/ESPN more and more each day...you can't keep it on the channel for two minutes without hearing about ABC's NEW HIT DRAMA!!! TUESDAY NIGHTS AT 8 P.M.!!!!!!!!! CHECK OUT EMILY's REASONS WHY NOT! Did they really think advertising that garbage would make anyone watch it?

Can't wait to be bombarded with ABC promos throughout the Cup.

#68544 05/19/06 02:55 AM
M
kick off
kick off
M
Oh...and as far as Arsenal's complaints about the officiating... Cry yourselves back to Londontown. The referee could not see a clear advantage, as (I think it was Giuly) was running on to finish it, and the foul was clearly red card worthy; had he not blown the whistle, and Giuly ended up getting tackled or blocked, the ref would've lost his job and probably been murdered. Hindsight is 20/20, and I was as let down as anyone to see a red card in the first 15, but it was not in any way a bad call.

And complaining that Barcelona was diving? How was it that Arsenal scored in the first place? There was clearly ZERO contact and it was a total dive, so that argument should go no further.

#68545 05/19/06 11:09 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Good news for Arsenal fans!

Henry Pledges His Future with Arsenal
quote:
'I hope to stay for as long as I can keep running. I could not face leaving the fans. They are like my family.

My team showed me I didn't have to leave. They showed me they had heart.

Everything was up in the air for a very long time. But at the end of the day, the team raised their game.

Don't get me wrong. I love Barcelona. But on Wednesday night, Arsenal showed me they had heart."

#68546 05/19/06 01:07 PM
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
A lot of people are slamming this ref. Think about this for one moment:
If the ref had waited before he blew the whistle and the ball had gone to Ludovic Giuly as it did. Then Giuly had missed!! Once Giuly takes posession of the ball the advantage has been realised and so then the ref cannot take it back. If Giuly had missed all he could have done was to Give Lehman a yellow and gone with a goal kick if the ball had gone wide.
Is that fair to Barcelona?? They would have said that Lehman should have gone and they got robbed.
The ref didn't know what would happen once the ball went to Giuly. In this case he scores and everyone is on the ref's back.
But he could have missed and I think Lehman deserved more than a yellow for what he did.
The ref did the right thing.
Blame Lehman for doing such a stupid thing so early in the game.

#68547 05/20/06 04:54 AM
goal
goal
Bazza & MK#11 - the referee did all that he was expected to do and once he had blown his whistle for the initial foul there was no way he could ever change his mind. What everyone is upset about is not that Lehmann was sent off, but that by sending Lehmann off the referee (who was clearly out of his depth) ended the match as the spectacle everybody had waited all year too see.

There is no disputing the fact that Lehmann deserved his red-card, but, if the referee had waited a fraction of a moment longer (as most top-class referees do) to see if there was an advantage to Barcelona, he would have seen Giuly slot home - Lehmann would no longer have completely prevented a clear goal-scoring chance (albeit by default), the goal would have been the punishment for Arsenal and the game could have continued in the attacking vein in which it started.

Personally, I felt a little bit shortchanged by the referee's decision as the Champions League Final is second only to the World Cup Final as a showpiece for the sport... and I neither shelled out for a flight/hotel/ticket as many thousands did do nor do I support either of the teams involved.

But don't just take my word for it

#68548 05/19/06 05:40 PM
E
goal kick
goal kick
E
I think AF raises a very good point. At what point does a good referee do his job within the parameters of the rules versus within the paramaters of the game at hand? Very little is as simple as black and white on a soccer field. In this case the referee was within the parameter of the laws by blowing the foul or allowing advantage. Good referees are able to see the advantage and enjoy seeing a goal scoring opportunity come off a no call. No two situations are exactly alike and no two games are exacly alike. A referee's style will often determine how a game may be called so how much does a good referee alter his style to fit the game being played? Everyone would rather watch a European final at 11 v 11 so wouldn't a referee do what he could to avoid a red if he were justified to issue it or not?

#68549 05/19/06 06:34 PM
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Referee's have to apply the laws of the game without prejudice to either team OR the circumstances. Ref's are often asked if they would issue a red card in a final in the first 2 minutes of a game or the last 2. The question is really superfluous. Ref's are paid to make tough decisions and believe me if he had played the advantage and Giuly had missed he would be getting slated in the Spanish press right now.
Players are responsible for what they do. Lehman is to blame, not the ref.
As for the link to Blatter, most people in Europe regard him as a fool and will totally ignore his opinion on pretty much everything.
To say that because this ref is from the Norwegian League he shouldn't have done this final is condescending. He hasn't just jumped from Norwegian club games to this match. He is a FIFA ref which means he has done full internationals. In England a lot of people said the same thing about an American ref in the World Cup in Italy in 1990, that because he only refs in the States he shouldn't be at the World Cup! That's nonsense and we all know it. There are refs here that could ref anywhere and I'm sure there are in Norway too.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard