Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
goal
OP Offline
goal
I couldn't resist posting this pic entitled "The real reason Argentina lo  - st the World Cup"

goal
OP Offline
goal
Extremely important advice and recommendations to be passed on to wives, girlfriends, fiancés, mothers, sisters, daughters, etc. (to all women in general).

These rules are to be communicated prior to the World Cup in June/July this year...

LIST OF RULES

1. From 9 June to 9 July 2006, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so that you are aware of what is going on regarding the World Cup, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations. If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will be totally ignored. DO NOT complain about not receiving any attention.

2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, at all times, without any exceptions. If you even take a glimpse of the remote control, you will lose it (your eye).

3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during a game, I don't mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor and without distracting me. If you decide to stand nude in front of the TV, make sure you put clothes on right after because if you catch a cold, I wont have time to take you to the doctor or look after you during the World Cup month.

4. During the games I will be blind, deaf and mute, unless I require a refill of my drink or something to eat. You are out of your mind if you expect me to listen to you, open the door, answer the telephone, or pick up the baby that just fell from the second floor....it wont happen.

5. It would be a good idea for you to keep at least 2 six packs in the fridge at all times, as well as plenty of things to nibble on, and please do not make any funny faces to my friends when they come over to watch the games. In return, you will be allowed to use the TV between 12am and 6am, unless they replay a good game that I missed during the day.

6. Please, please, please!! if you see me upset because one of my teams is losing, DO NOT say "get over it, its only a game", or "don't worry, they'll win next time". If you say these things, you will only make me angrier and I will love you less. Remember, you will never ever know more about football than me and your so called "words of encouragement" will only lead to a break up or divorce.

7. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when the commercials are on, and only if the halftime score is pleasing me. In addition, please note I am saying "one" game, hence do not use the World Cup as a nice cheesy excuse to "spend time together".

8. The replays of the goals are very important. I don't care if I have seen them or I haven't seen them, I want to see them again. Many times.

9. Tell your friends NOT to have any babies, or any other child related parties or gatherings that requires my attendance because:
a) I will not go,
b) I will not go, and
c) I will not go.

10. But, if a friend of mine invites us to his house on a Sunday to watch a game, we will be there in a flash.

11. The daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves. Do not even think about saying "but you have already seen this... why don't you change the channel to something we can all watch??", the reply will be: "Refer to Rule #2 of this list".

12. And finally, please save your expressions such as "Thank God the World Cup is only every 4 years". I am immune to these words, because after this comes the Champions League, Italian League, Spanish League, Premier League, etc etc.

Thank you for your cooperation.

T
kick off
kick off
T
thats pretty funny man!

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Chuck..... Amen...

I might want to add... If I am taping the game I do not want to hear that you finally took interest and know that the score of the game is... (Insert scream here)

K
throw in
throw in
K
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckNorris:
Extremely important advice and recommendations to be passed on to wives, girlfriends, fiancés, mothers, sisters, daughters, etc. (to all women in general).

Good set of laws you have there, Chuck. Though, I must say I'm a bit peeved at who you have these laws directed to. (I am a female athlete and a soccer addict. And my coach, a reader and poster on the boards, can testify to that.) I know for a fact that my guy-friends aren't nearly as excited about the world cup as I, if they are even excited about it at all.

I doubt many of my guy friends (who do play soccer, mind you) know that Germany is playing Costa Rica tomorrow at noon on ESPN2 and that Michael Ballack, Germany's captain is not going to be playing due to minor injuries (I was told by a friend of mine who lives in Germany that he was having problems with his calf.) I doubt many know that Brazil (one of my favorites in the World Cup) is staying in a hotel in Königstein, Germany and that most of the city is closed off to make sure nothing happens to the team. And I'm willing to bet that even fewer know that Ronaldinho was eating at a pizza place in Germany this past Tuesday.

Cut the women some slack, eh? Let's direct those laws to the crazy people that look at us when we say "Ronaldinho" and go "who?!" Those peoplew who think we're the crazy ones. (Oh, and about all the happenings going around the World Cup in Germany, I could go on for days...)

goal
OP Offline
goal
Chuck doesn't waver woman! You'll find no politicaly correctness here! I stand as is.

K
throw in
throw in
K
Politically correct? Nah... I am simply here for the game and to let you know that despite what you may think, there are women who care about the World Cup more than alot of guys do.

You stand by what you think. If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything and what a waste that would be!

goal
OP Offline
goal
Calm down keeper, its just a joke! Take a deep breath we will all get our fix in a few hours.

K
throw in
throw in
K
No raised blood levels here. :-)

I was just bored...

You think Costa Rica has a chance? I put down my bet with Germany winning 4-1.

S
Brace
Brace
S
How about we just say those rules are for your "significant other" .........dont know about that score BHS, I say 2-2 in a surprise........mark my words n remeber this score, you know i gotta support my latin countries

goal
OP Offline
goal
I have already called Germany by 2

K
throw in
throw in
K
Well, I was right about Germany getting four goals but I suppose I wasn't expecting Costa Rica to get two. I really hadn't expected them to get one but I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt there; Germany is a really fine team.

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
I'm not so sure about Germany being a fine team. They looked decent going forward but were obviously playing a low class opponent. As for in the back, they were continually exposed for their lack of speed in exchange for the height advantage they held but I am not sure if that is going to be such a huge advantage, especially if they get into the later rounds where they are going to be facing people who have more speed and more than one danger man, like Costa Rica had in Wanchope today.

K
throw in
throw in
K
Point taken. It is true that the height advantage will not be very useful in the later rounds but for now, it's working. I have faith that Germany's coach knows what he has and will be able to adjust accordingly to the later rounds. And, I've heard from a friend that the absence of Michael Ballack changed their lineup around a lot. In any case, I still think they are a good, or "fine" team.

Any opinions on other teams?

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
I think it not so much changed their lineup a lot, but rather changed the way their team played because of the more defensive outlook they had. Their wingers pushed forward a lot and this gave them a good outlet to give the ball to. I was definitely impressed by Germany, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if they are really good enough to progress much farther then the next round or too.

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Which other teams would you like opinions on? I'd be glad to give you mine

hat-trick
hat-trick
quote:
Originally posted by BHS Keeper:
Well, I was right about Germany getting four goals but I suppose I wasn't expecting Costa Rica to get two.

Actually it should have been only one goal. Wanchope was clearly offside on the second goal!

K
throw in
throw in
K
Any team, really. How about some perspective from the Poland/Ecuador game or maybe some predictions for the England/Paraguay game coming up tomorrow? I meant that as an open question for anyone who had anything to say about any team to respond to.

Coach P: I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was definitely a questionable play but I think the official was right in calling it a goal. It wasn't the deciding goal of the game and Germany still won so I haven't worried too much about it. However, if that had been the deciding goal, now that would be a different story...

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Poland vs Ecuador

Poland looked simply boring. They did not have any sort of way to attack until they bought their subs on at the end and changed to a 4-4-2. I really liked the two subs and I think that the starting forward is obviously a good player but it is hard to play with barely any help, as he had. When they were playing a 4-5-1 they almost played a 4-4-1-1 but the 4 in midfield played extremely defensively and I didn't really think this was effective at all

Ecuador looked like a very strong, athletic team, although I am not sure how well they will fair against Germany. They look like they could be opened up, especially by the height of the midfielders and forwards that the Germans have. Still, I think it was an impressive show by Ecuador and I hope they'll do well in the remainder of their games.

England vs Paraguay - I am very Biased about this game being English, and that is all I am going to say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard