Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#69420 06/13/06 01:15 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
I slept 2 hours that night, and not at all friday night...i think i'm excused. Plus I have no cable...

seriously though, I know that zidane and "pires" (pronouced just like i said it) are old timey stars of the french national team, i forgot who was playing as i awoke from my slumber. I'm more dissapointed that none of the others knew who the latter was, and he being the one who laid off the pass for the game winning goal in the world cup final in 98!

#69421 06/13/06 01:54 AM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
i honestly think Bocanegra, Albright, and Berhalter could of played better defense than lewis. I wont be surprised if Bocanegra or Berhalter start saturday. Midfeild needs to change. Beasley we all know where he belongs, Donovan needs to play like all the hype expects him to. Clint Depmsey needs to be in there. O'Brien just isnt ready to play I think. Mastroeni needs to play like he can and Reyna we all know will always start. Mcbride wont score very much when he has midfeilders who cant serve a ball. Johnson I really hope he starts saturday because he was the one person I think who looked like he wanted to play.

#69422 06/13/06 03:55 AM
G
throw in
throw in
G
i agree that lewis should not start on saturday. left foot i completely agree that somebody in the midfield has to run at the defense. I thought that this would be donovan and he briefly showed that he was capable of doing this when he forced the czech defender to foul him midway through the first half, but then completely disappeared. I really hope Johnson starts on Saturday because he was eager to go to goal. I know the US played poorly, but how much of that can be contributed to the Czech's just being the #2 team in the world?

#69423 06/13/06 04:40 AM
A
throw in
throw in
A
the czechs were a lot better than i thought, but that is no excuse. just to think, the czechs were missing two players that would've started in milan baros and anothe midfielder.

once again, donovan and beasley have lackluster games, just like the warm-ups. as much as i like convey he was terrible! he def needs to come on as a sub. I also think reyna hasnt done much. I know he's the captain and will never sit but im not a big of fan of how he "slows down" the game for the us. also, dempsey would seem to be a good fit, but i think he also works better coming off the bench

#69424 06/13/06 04:55 AM
B
throw in
throw in
B
if it means anything,

i liked the blue jersies. much better than those red ones which looked like everyone was soaked with sweat.

.... that's probably the only good remark i have after watching the game.

#69425 06/13/06 01:59 PM
coach
coach
You don't look good in any color when you play like that. The Brit reporting can always say it just right- United States 0 Czech Republic 3: Rosicky reigns as Czechs cut through Americans
By Jason Burt at the Arena AufSchalke
Published: 13 June 2006

The environs of the stadium, the sweltering heat, the bare-chested, beer-swigging chanting masses. It was like a frat party in Florida. The only thing was the Americans were facing the Czechs. And no one consumes like they do. It was no contest. It was the same on the pitch. What looked an even enough encounter in Group E was rendered a mismatch by the Czechs' dazzling attacking play and two stunning goals from Arsenal's newest recruit, Tomas Rosicky, who also struck the crossbar, and who linked throughout with a re-energised Pavel Nedved.

Together they were simply devastating. They cut through and outclassed the United States and passed the first test of whether they can replicate the verve that took them to the last four of Euro 2004.

But they paid a price. Another injury to Jan Koller, who missed most of last season after tearing cruciate ligaments, will bite hard. Koller injured his hamstring but the damage did not appear as serious as first thought. He raised a thumbs-up as he limped out of the stadium.

Koller would be some loss as he is crucial to the way his country play. In the absence of the injured Milan Baros, who should return for the next game, they looked even more potent with Nedved and Rosicky, who could be a star of the tournament, breaking from midfield and Koller dominating the nervous US defenders.

Among them was Oguchi Onyewu and, after this, maybe Middlesbrough will rethink their £2m bid for him. He was booked for his first challenge on Nedved and was then horribly out of position as Koller thumped a header, from a whipped cross from the impressive right-back Zdenek Grygera, past Kasey Keller after just five minutes.
Keller was the only American survivor from the previous World Cup encounter between the two nations, back in Italy in 1990, when the then Czechoslovakia ran riot in a 5-1 victory. Keller was on the bench for that match and probably feared a repeat of the scoreline.

The Americans have made vast strides since then, qualifying for every subsequent finals, while the Czechs have struggled to reach this far. This was the first time they have done since the split with Slovakia.

It was also effectively a last hurrah for a generation of their players ­ led by Koller, Nedved, Karel Poborsky and captain Tomas Galasek ­ who are all the wrong side of 33 and cannot expect to be playing in four years' time. They certainly looked like they wanted to seize the moment.

Still, the US almost drew level but Claudio Reyna's low, bouncing shot re-bounded off a post after beating Petr Cech. It proved decisive as Rosicky, a £7m recruit for Arsène Wenger, then took over. Collecting another poor clearance by Onyewu he took a touch 25 yards out and struck the most glorious of angled right-footed shots high beyond a flailing Keller.

Then, in the second half, he stepped forward again and this time crashed a dipping effort that beat Keller only to thump back off the crossbar. But it was not just about long-range shooting. He then linked once more with Nedved, who released him through the centre. Rosicky ran on and, as the goalkeeper advanced, he calmly flicked his shot over him and into the net.

It could have been more. Earlier a header by Tomas Ujfalusi had narrowly cleared the far post and then Koller's replacement Vratislav Lokvenc fluffed his shot after being picked out by Poborsky, who himself volleyed into the side-netting.

"I'd like to congratulate Arsenal on getting such a player," said Czech coach Karel Bruckner of Rosicky. No doubt Wenger would have nodded his approval.

#69426 06/13/06 02:49 PM
goal kick
goal kick
Eddie Johnson was the only player that wanted to be there yesterday.

#69427 06/13/06 02:59 PM
brace
brace
For those of us who coach, the awful match by the US would be a great game to show our teams to stress the value in putting quality pressure ON THE BALL. The cross that led to goal one? The shot that led to goal two? US played with no interest in applying pressure on the ball. Match one—embarrassing.

#69428 06/14/06 04:54 AM
coach
coach
Onyewu has gotta be an aggressive beast out there, too.

#69429 06/13/06 05:59 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Gooch had to be careful because he picked up a yellow in the first minutes of the game. He also has to be careful against Italy because the cards accumulate from game to game, not that if we lose to Italy it will matter much against Ghana.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard