Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#69440 06/14/06 02:58 AM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
First off, 339 million Americans? 32 billion people??? On what planet do you base your facts?

Does US Soccer have faults? YES, but they are trying to address those needs IMO. As for the facts above, the latest US Census has the population at 298,971,390 (300 million); World population of 6,522,042,619 (6.5 billion).

The U.S. is pouring in millions of dollars into soccer development at all levels to address talent needs in American soccer. I agree that it will be interesting if more inner-city kids, African-Americans, and Hispanics will be truly addressed, especially at the State, ODP, and National levels. This is where talent recognition will be paramount -- not just where parents fork over more money for their kids to receive top training in return for a DII coach to notice them.

It was recently brought to my attention that several of the European countries (England, Germany, Holland, etc.) have tried desperately to emulate the American model of training and that the "Europe of yesteryear" is now gone -- meaning that pickup soccer games and growing up with the game have given way to X-Box, organized soccer training (read parents taking kids to two practices per week), piano lessons, tennis/golf (country-club sports), etc., just like the U.S. faces. This will certainly have an adverse effect on future soccer generations in those countries and may really pave the way for a balance amongst U.S. and European soccer, but allow for tremendous gains in Asian and African countries where the sport is still played by "everybody". The difference is that many of these countries don't have the momey/resources to contribute to high level training and serious year-round player development or education.

It seems totally plausible that this years run in the World Cup may just be a hiccup in the grand scheme of US Soccer, but may force our "soccer folks" to re-focus on the real problems facing the American game and find solutions!

I look forward to seeing how the US and Bruce Arena will try to right the ship against Italy and Ghana and get the points needed to advance to the Round of 16. Should be interesting!

#69441 06/14/06 03:38 AM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Until soccer development becomes more important then education, then America will always be behind the rest of the world. Sport needs to be the main, and only, focus for the elite players from the young ages. That means maybe leaving home to go to clubs with room, board, some education and ALOT of soccer. The obvious place for these schools? MLS clubs.

As far as the person who referenced the English and the FA? Another problem in this country: too many accents and "tea bags." Look at England's system and development. The only successful clubs are ones filled with foreigners and the National Team has been crap for a while, including that Paraguay performance.

#69442 06/14/06 09:30 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
I believe that by "in front of 32 billion people", balnogowan was referring to cumulative TV viewers. In 2002 it was 28.8 billion and in 1998 it was 33.4 billion. See this web page

#69443 06/14/06 11:39 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Our ODP system.....Since tryouts in December have had two practices and one sub regional..And this is a developmental program? The cost for training does play a role in who is attending these tryouts

#69444 06/14/06 12:23 PM
coach
coach
balnogawon said it perfectly: 'God forbid we should concentrate our efforts at the grass roots level and truly allow development to take place. This cannot and will not happen unless we stop letting upper middle class to upper class insecurities dictate what will happen and who will be playing.'
That is the key - development at the grass roots. As much as I jest about the evil Red CESA empire, that is exactly what they seek as part of their overall mission in SC. If the US does not 'right its ship' this World Cup, then the US and the highly political ODP system of selection can be considered to be broken. Many younger quality players U14 to U18 do not even consider ODP because of its high- class image. Obviously our system of training is not equal to that of many other countries, i.e., the Netherlands, Brazil.
Also, the US system involves no passion, as you see from the Euro, African & Asian countries. Part of the reason is of course the excessive and multiple avenues of other entertainment available to our youth, many other organized sports, and our very own unique society of social soccer in many youth clubs. The Euros, Asians, Africans and South Americans would never conceive of soccer as a social sport.
The 'friggin' Ivory Coast even temporarily stopped a Civil War in its country so they could focus on their passion for soccer at the World Cup!!
I guess a determination will be made on the future of ODP and the National US approach to soccer after our next two games.

#69445 06/14/06 12:59 PM
Goal
Goal
How much does ODP actually cost? Do they offer scholarships for underpriviledged kids? What are the coaches paid? What is the administration of ODP paid?

#69446 06/14/06 01:25 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
1. I think Beezer is correct. Until soccer development is more important than education, the US will lag behind.
2. That being said. I will never place sports (or whatever) ahead of my sons education.
3. As I have posted before, I would like to see the USSF have a "Bradenton" u17 academy in each region and I would like to see each state create a soccer (or multisport) magnet/charter academy. This would be along the lines of IMG. In SC we are already lucky enough to have residential high schools with the Governors schools (Art and Math/Science).

#69447 06/14/06 01:36 PM
world cup
world cup
kdlsc,

For competition purposes, who would each state's "Bradenton" play against? Would they have to travel to play Georgia's Bradenton and Atlanta's Bradenton and Florida's Bradenton?

Nobody in SC wants to play Bishop England because the playing field is not level. I don't think that even the Wando's, Irmo's and Northwestern's would be interested in taking on "Bradenton".

#69448 06/14/06 01:43 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Thanks Coach P for the clarification.

quote:
Look at England's system and development. The only successful clubs are ones filled with foreigners and the National Team has been crap for a while, including that Paraguay performance.
The same is true in Germany as Bayern, Dortmund, etc. have all loaded up their in-house youth development teams with Eastern European players and this has caused some alarm amongst the Germans as the natives are not being trained in this environment like they used to be.

#69449 06/14/06 02:09 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Hurst,
There are two programs that I am talking about. The USSF should create regional u17 residential programs(like bradenton)and each state should create a public sports academy (IMG).

You pose a great question. I will follow that up with who do bradenton and IMG play? First of all, I am talking about high schools, so sorry to the Wando's and Irmo's, they would have to play the SC school. In addition, in SC, the school could possibly play in an adult league. I know that some of the CESA teams have played in the Greenville men's league. I think the real problem you run into is the High School League rules on practicing and number of players from one club. Now, this would be year round (9 months anyway)and the players may not play club, but I think it would need the cooperation of a club.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard