Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#69390 06/12/06 05:06 PM
F
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
F
well the first goal comes in the 5 minutes with the giant koller with a header that was impossible for keller to stop. the second goal comes in from rosicky at the 36 minutes.

#69391 06/12/06 05:34 PM
F
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
F
3rd goal and rosicky puts it in the 31 minute.

#69392 06/12/06 05:50 PM
F
Corner Kick
OP Offline
Corner Kick
F
final score 3-0 czech republic

#69393 06/12/06 05:51 PM
corner kick
corner kick
all i have to say is what the heck was that. That was one of the worst games i have ever seen the USA play. Maybe it is because we were playing a very good, #2 in the world, non CONCACAF, czech republic team or maybe it is just because we are aweful.. Landon didn't show up, mastroni and reyne weren't there, convey thought he could meg world class players with little moves, Gooch fouled every single time. Oh...and was josh wolf in the game...i dont even think i noticed. What a sorry outing for US soccer....maybe a little Dempsey next game could help us out..switch to the good ol' LE dude 3-5-2?

#69394 06/12/06 06:00 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
CAP... I hate to agree with you... the most miserable game I have seen the US play in a long time.

If they are scared they do not deserve to be out there. I happen to think that Bruce is a good coach, but for crying out loud why not immediately switch to 3-5-2 when Koller when out?

Convey did nothing, Beasley did nothing, Reyna!! did nothing.

2002 we took it to every opponent, afterall, we were not supposed to win. This time there are expectations, so Bruce...."damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead", noone in the US really expects alot - just a news blip here and there.

Our style has to be aggressive until we have enough players were it does not matter. Now in a huge hole with 2 must win games... not the way to start.

If it was a club team out there, I am sure coach would have them running on the field right after the game... I know I would have.

#69395 06/12/06 06:10 PM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Very uninspired performance from the Americans. Beasley and Convey looked scared to run at the Czech's, yet when they did they actually produced a couple of decent crosses. Crossing the ball from 25 yards out on the wings just floating the ball in is never going to be effective. As you have stated, Reyna was pretty much ineffective except for his shot, but yet again, that stemmed from the US running at people. Donovan was my most disappointing player though. He looked absolutely awful, scared to even touch the ball. Overall a pretty pitiful performance from the US and right now Ghana is looking like giants.

#69396 06/12/06 06:28 PM
world cup
world cup
We sucked!

It's a shame for Czech that Koller is out. If he's healthy that team can do some serious damage. Are they that good or are we that bad? The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

#69397 06/12/06 06:32 PM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Yeah, I forgot to mention about Czech. They looked extremely strong and you're right, Koller was incredibly dangerous. Rosicky of course played tremendously and so did Nedved, but my star player of the game was the Czech Republic right back. Wonderful game, wonderful player.

#69398 06/12/06 06:59 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
I'm not defending the US' horrible performance, but I thought the Czech team showed they had scouted the Americans well and executed an excellent game plan. Their defense took away Convey's and Beasley's runs while physical play and professional fouls took Donovan out of his game. The early yellow card on Onyewu was huge. It probably resulted in tentative play that allowed Koller to score.

#69399 06/12/06 07:07 PM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
I cant believe the US' showing just now. Donovan was nowhere to be seen Besley and Convey were pitifull Onyweu I know can have a better game hat header on the second goal two clear was right to Rosicky. and how come on Czech corner I kept seeing Brian Mcbride tracking back to defend so much. Reyna had one good shot but thats bout it. Johnson played decently but John o'Brien comin in did nothing. Like I said before the world cup I think Clint Dempsey should be on the feild.

#69400 06/12/06 07:10 PM
goal
goal
PATHETIC!

#69401 06/12/06 07:23 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
MPSCplayer73:
I think you will definitely see Dempsey on Saturday. I also think we will see Bocanegro instead of Lewis in the back.

#69402 06/12/06 07:55 PM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
yes lewis looked terrible really hurtin without Frankie. There needs to be some big changes for Italy if US doesnt start getting it together Italy might crush us. Beasley needs to be back on his side but neither of them helped send balls in where Mcbride is best at in the air. will see wat bruce does come saturday

#69403 06/12/06 08:28 PM
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
What a crap game by the US! We played uninspired. We tried to meg world class players and tried to float balls into a defense that is much better than any we face in our region.

Dempsey needs to see the field!!

In addition, what a beast Pavel Nedved is! That boy ruled the whole field and we never did anything but foul him. He totally outplayed, out paced and outworked our midfield!

Better get our stuff in a sock or Saturday may be brutal!!

#69404 06/12/06 09:15 PM
goal
goal
If the U.S. wins Saturday, that will put them in a great position. They will hold the tiebreaker over Italy because of head to head. I assume Czech Republic will beat Ghana. The U.S. SHOULD beat Ghana but the way Ghana played against Italy, I wouldn't be so sure. The U.S just has to get the W Saturday.

Anyway, did any of yall watch the Ghana-Italy game? ESSIEN IS A FREAKIN BEAST!!!!!! He didn't shoot to well but that really isn't his role for Chelsea anyways. Ghana looked pretty darn good in the second half. They controlled the second half in my opinion. They should of received at least 1 PK, possible even 2.

U.S.A has to bring their stuff Saturday. Italy didn't impress me that much. Onyeweu has to play better, especially against the 6'4 Luca Toni (he's no 6'8 but he still pretty tall). I honestly think the U.S.A will win this game. They need to put Beasley back on the left, put Donovan as a center attacking mid, and start Johnson up top along with McBride. As for the RM slot, I have on clue. Maybe Dempsey or try Convey out over there. A 4-1-2-1-2 would suit them well, with Reyna controlling the game at defensive mid.

I have said too much. My fingers hurt.

#69405 06/12/06 09:17 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
The U.S. was terrible. Pope was soft; Donovan invisible; Reyna plays with no "uh-factor"; Beasley was awful on the right side; Lewis struggled ... We looked like "we had arrived" and the "been-there-done-that attitude" proved detrimental to a team that generally thrives on an underdog mentality.

I definitely want to see Dempsey, Johnson, and Wolff in the mix on Saturday ... If we play anywhere close like we did today we won't score a goal in the tourney, much less win a match.

We've got to try and get endline and serve, not float balls in from 30-40 yards out when we're giving up 4-5 inches per player or try to take on world-class defenders 1v1 hoping for a meg.

Awful display today!

#69406 06/12/06 09:19 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Just to let everyone know...we are dead last in the tourny right now...with 0 points and a -3 goal difference.

Another thing we gotta give it to czech, they are #2 in the world and obviously so. Just to think, they were missing another star striker in milan baros, and another star mid in Smicer....what would they of done to the US with those two.

Apparently Koller is done for the tournament(from Bruce Arena).

#69407 06/12/06 09:27 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
[Frown]

..we looked like the team they showed in all those highlights from the 90s.. ..just a bunch of nobodies. Really disappointing.. nobody stepped up.. [Frown]

Eddie Johnson did seem to be a silver lining for the US..but that's just about it.

#69408 06/12/06 09:31 PM
coach
coach
USA looked like Flora v. LE in 1st game or Dreher v. Riverside in state final or Irmo v. Lexington or BL v. Pinewood

#69409 06/12/06 09:55 PM
Goal
Goal
BUMS!!!

-

#69410 06/12/06 09:59 PM
Brace
Brace
First goal- I have never seen a LB more out of position. Pope looked like it was his first time marking a striker.

2nd goal- Reyna wanted no part of closing down the ball, a half-assed attempt.
3rd goal- completes total collapse by the defense, which I thought would keep us in games.

Imagine how Keller feels.

Overall I thought Beasley was the only guy playing with passion, although he needs to get more balls. The others had the "deer in the headlights" look.

#69411 06/12/06 10:17 PM
coach
coach
Blame this one on Bush too -

Gemma Clarke
Monday June 12, 2006
Guardian Unlimited
<<This wasn't quite the clash of the titans the Fifa rankings suggested was in store. If the Czech Republic proved worthy claimants to the title of Second Best Team In The World with confidence, poise and excellent finishing, the USA showed how laughable their fifth billing is with a stunning lack of ingenuity.
Perhaps it was George Bush's ominous 'good luck' speech that sent the USA team into a combat looking completely unprepared and overwhelmed. " The whole country is behind you," Bush said. " Give them hell.">>

#69412 06/12/06 10:25 PM
coach
coach
Arena also singled out PSV Eindhoven midfielder DaMarcus Beasley - alongside Donovan one of his most important players - for strong criticism.

"We got nothing out of Beasley on the night," Arena said.

"Not enough players took the initiative. We didn't get too many good performances."

Although known for his generally blunt style, Arena was in top form as he rattled off his team's failings with refreshing candor.

"A number of players played poorly," he said. "Aside from giving up the early goal, second balls were a big part of the game and they won more than their fair share."

#69413 06/12/06 10:56 PM
goal
goal
They need to put Beasley back on the left. Having Eddie Lewis as LB and Convey as LM was not smart on Arena's part. They both aren't that great of defenders. Lewis basically plays LB just to run the flank and serve in balls, which he did not do well today. I thought Convey played decent offensively but did not track back to much defensively. If they put Beasley back on the left and get Dempsey playing right, that would be more beneficial to them. Did John O' Brien even play?? I mean he played the entire second half and did absolutely nothing. Donovan, McBride, O'Brien, Beasley were practically non existent.

On the upside, I feel they will play WAY better on Saturday with some moderations to the line-up. Arena is a good coach and will find a way. I believe they can beat Italy.

Remember, "One Game Changes Everything"

#69414 06/12/06 11:06 PM
Goal
Goal
HAHA I feel bad for you people who have keller on your fantasy lineups [Frown]

#69415 06/12/06 11:24 PM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
Wayne?

Are you sure you meant Beasley was the only guy playing with passion? He looked absolutely dreadful, like he did not want to be there, and had absolutely no interest in attacking at all. Every time he got the ball he turned around. Sorry, but he did not play with passion at all.

#69416 06/12/06 11:45 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
..all I have to say is.. WHERE WAS ZIDANE!!?!?

#69417 06/13/06 12:17 AM
G
throw in
throw in
G
while benp, jack, and I watched the Italy and Ghana game, benp asked, "how come zidane is not in the starting line up". benp lost 1/2 of his "infamous" standing with me.

#69418 06/13/06 12:21 AM
J
world cup
world cup
J
Ronaldinho ..Gilardino.. whatever!

Totti.. that's how you say Zidane in Italian.

#69419 06/13/06 01:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How can anyone say Arena is a good Coach. He played with this starting line up and no tactics to break down a defense that looked like every other European teams defense. Strong in the air in the middle.

Someone in midfield has to get the ball on the floor and run at the middle of the defense. So many of the goals scored in the WC have come from just that. Lots of people on this post are saying the same, so how come Arena is so blind he could not see it.

Dempsey had scored so many goals from attacking mid for the US team, he must have been asleep then too.

He had the same problem against Morocco recently and learned nothing. The definition of futility is keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. Chip the ball from 30 yards to the opposition center half - "brilliant" as the Guiness advert says. But welcome to the World of Bruce Arena. Great job for naming names by him too, lots of teambuilding spirit being created right there too. So for me, I don't think the vast majority of the blame goes to players, it is to the coach. No tactics and no Johnson/Dempsey.

On the plus side at least the US might look at a foreign coach for 2010. On the negative side, the loss of rankings will mean another tough group.

#69420 06/13/06 01:15 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
I slept 2 hours that night, and not at all friday night...i think i'm excused. Plus I have no cable...

seriously though, I know that zidane and "pires" (pronouced just like i said it) are old timey stars of the french national team, i forgot who was playing as i awoke from my slumber. I'm more dissapointed that none of the others knew who the latter was, and he being the one who laid off the pass for the game winning goal in the world cup final in 98!

#69421 06/13/06 01:54 AM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
i honestly think Bocanegra, Albright, and Berhalter could of played better defense than lewis. I wont be surprised if Bocanegra or Berhalter start saturday. Midfeild needs to change. Beasley we all know where he belongs, Donovan needs to play like all the hype expects him to. Clint Depmsey needs to be in there. O'Brien just isnt ready to play I think. Mastroeni needs to play like he can and Reyna we all know will always start. Mcbride wont score very much when he has midfeilders who cant serve a ball. Johnson I really hope he starts saturday because he was the one person I think who looked like he wanted to play.

#69422 06/13/06 03:55 AM
G
throw in
throw in
G
i agree that lewis should not start on saturday. left foot i completely agree that somebody in the midfield has to run at the defense. I thought that this would be donovan and he briefly showed that he was capable of doing this when he forced the czech defender to foul him midway through the first half, but then completely disappeared. I really hope Johnson starts on Saturday because he was eager to go to goal. I know the US played poorly, but how much of that can be contributed to the Czech's just being the #2 team in the world?

#69423 06/13/06 04:40 AM
A
throw in
throw in
A
the czechs were a lot better than i thought, but that is no excuse. just to think, the czechs were missing two players that would've started in milan baros and anothe midfielder.

once again, donovan and beasley have lackluster games, just like the warm-ups. as much as i like convey he was terrible! he def needs to come on as a sub. I also think reyna hasnt done much. I know he's the captain and will never sit but im not a big of fan of how he "slows down" the game for the us. also, dempsey would seem to be a good fit, but i think he also works better coming off the bench

#69424 06/13/06 04:55 AM
B
throw in
throw in
B
if it means anything,

i liked the blue jersies. much better than those red ones which looked like everyone was soaked with sweat.

.... that's probably the only good remark i have after watching the game.

#69425 06/13/06 01:59 PM
coach
coach
You don't look good in any color when you play like that. The Brit reporting can always say it just right- United States 0 Czech Republic 3: Rosicky reigns as Czechs cut through Americans
By Jason Burt at the Arena AufSchalke
Published: 13 June 2006

The environs of the stadium, the sweltering heat, the bare-chested, beer-swigging chanting masses. It was like a frat party in Florida. The only thing was the Americans were facing the Czechs. And no one consumes like they do. It was no contest. It was the same on the pitch. What looked an even enough encounter in Group E was rendered a mismatch by the Czechs' dazzling attacking play and two stunning goals from Arsenal's newest recruit, Tomas Rosicky, who also struck the crossbar, and who linked throughout with a re-energised Pavel Nedved.

Together they were simply devastating. They cut through and outclassed the United States and passed the first test of whether they can replicate the verve that took them to the last four of Euro 2004.

But they paid a price. Another injury to Jan Koller, who missed most of last season after tearing cruciate ligaments, will bite hard. Koller injured his hamstring but the damage did not appear as serious as first thought. He raised a thumbs-up as he limped out of the stadium.

Koller would be some loss as he is crucial to the way his country play. In the absence of the injured Milan Baros, who should return for the next game, they looked even more potent with Nedved and Rosicky, who could be a star of the tournament, breaking from midfield and Koller dominating the nervous US defenders.

Among them was Oguchi Onyewu and, after this, maybe Middlesbrough will rethink their £2m bid for him. He was booked for his first challenge on Nedved and was then horribly out of position as Koller thumped a header, from a whipped cross from the impressive right-back Zdenek Grygera, past Kasey Keller after just five minutes.
Keller was the only American survivor from the previous World Cup encounter between the two nations, back in Italy in 1990, when the then Czechoslovakia ran riot in a 5-1 victory. Keller was on the bench for that match and probably feared a repeat of the scoreline.

The Americans have made vast strides since then, qualifying for every subsequent finals, while the Czechs have struggled to reach this far. This was the first time they have done since the split with Slovakia.

It was also effectively a last hurrah for a generation of their players ­ led by Koller, Nedved, Karel Poborsky and captain Tomas Galasek ­ who are all the wrong side of 33 and cannot expect to be playing in four years' time. They certainly looked like they wanted to seize the moment.

Still, the US almost drew level but Claudio Reyna's low, bouncing shot re-bounded off a post after beating Petr Cech. It proved decisive as Rosicky, a £7m recruit for Arsène Wenger, then took over. Collecting another poor clearance by Onyewu he took a touch 25 yards out and struck the most glorious of angled right-footed shots high beyond a flailing Keller.

Then, in the second half, he stepped forward again and this time crashed a dipping effort that beat Keller only to thump back off the crossbar. But it was not just about long-range shooting. He then linked once more with Nedved, who released him through the centre. Rosicky ran on and, as the goalkeeper advanced, he calmly flicked his shot over him and into the net.

It could have been more. Earlier a header by Tomas Ujfalusi had narrowly cleared the far post and then Koller's replacement Vratislav Lokvenc fluffed his shot after being picked out by Poborsky, who himself volleyed into the side-netting.

"I'd like to congratulate Arsenal on getting such a player," said Czech coach Karel Bruckner of Rosicky. No doubt Wenger would have nodded his approval.

#69426 06/13/06 02:49 PM
goal kick
goal kick
Eddie Johnson was the only player that wanted to be there yesterday.

#69427 06/13/06 02:59 PM
brace
brace
For those of us who coach, the awful match by the US would be a great game to show our teams to stress the value in putting quality pressure ON THE BALL. The cross that led to goal one? The shot that led to goal two? US played with no interest in applying pressure on the ball. Match one—embarrassing.

#69428 06/14/06 04:54 AM
coach
coach
Onyewu has gotta be an aggressive beast out there, too.

#69429 06/13/06 05:59 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Gooch had to be careful because he picked up a yellow in the first minutes of the game. He also has to be careful against Italy because the cards accumulate from game to game, not that if we lose to Italy it will matter much against Ghana.

#69430 06/13/06 06:35 PM
C
bench
bench
C
We can go on and on about the things that went wrong but let's face it... One of the biggest problems the US had against Czech was the speed of play around the field. You can definitely tell the difference between our players who play internationally and those who are domestic players. Landon Donovan did all he is good for 4 years ago. You will never see anything better than what he has done because he came back to the US to improve??? Doesnt say a lot for him because he has not gotten any better playing in the MLS, he's just a big fish in a little pond now. I would love to see Bocanegra in the back as well, but no matter how you shake it, whatever 4 players we have in the back will be severely outclassed. I don't think the US has developed as much as we hear about (due to the #5 FIFA Ranking which is a joke). Tactically we struggled everywhere in the Czech game. And for a team touted as one of the fittest and most physical teams in the world we did not show up. It looked like no one on the pitch cared. And Wayne I hate to disagree with you, but Beasley was probably the most disappointing player on the field. I don't understand how or why Arena never took him off.

#69431 06/13/06 06:46 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
Though.. the majority of our starters play internationally..and Eddie Johnson was the one glimmer of hope for us??

#69432 06/13/06 07:15 PM
K
corner kick
corner kick
K
Food for thought: the US was so clearly lackluster--could they have taken a loss to Czech as a given and purposely not wanted to show what they had to the Italians?

If the strategy is to advance, take your lumps against Czech and pour it on for Italy.

#69433 06/13/06 07:20 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
..that would be a horrible strategy for a tournament that only happens once every four years.

#69434 06/13/06 07:23 PM
coach
coach
kicker,
Pour it on Italy? Have you had too many American brewskies??

#69435 06/13/06 07:51 PM
coach
coach
Why are these guys so happy?
 -

#69436 06/13/06 09:18 PM
Brace
Brace
this wasn't in Germany!

#69437 06/13/06 10:13 PM
throw in
throw in
Best line I've heard yet is that Donavan keeps going to Germany and never plays. [Big Grin]

#69438 06/14/06 12:53 AM
B
bench
bench
B
Here is the reality. We have an individual who is arrogant enough to think that 4 ncaa championships, an MLS title and a lacrosse background(Arena) qualifies him to lead the USA national team on to the worlds largest stage. We have a group of individuals( the MNT) who are arrogant and stupid enough to read their own hype and wave in in the face of the world on the worlds biggest stage and we have a disaster for a developmernt and national team program. I blame the US soccer federation most of all. They have created this mess and yes it is a mess. The US showing in this world cup will set us back ten years and create profound damage to the fragile credibility that soccer has now. The big problem is the fact that a small gene pool is running soccer development(if that is what it is called)in this country. Money and politics are the means to whish an individual makes it to the MNT and top tiers of development. Until this changes we are going nowhere. God forbid we should concentrate our efforts at the grass roots level and truly allow development to take place. This cannot and will not happen unless we stop letting upper middle class to upper class insecurities dictate what will happen and who will be playing.
If we continue to allow opportunists and bozos to make rediculous amounts of money for their "expertise"in the form of camps, academies etc. then we will continue to exclude the mainstream. Why are we different from England where there is a Football association with a code of ethics that directly prohibits the use of membership or credentials for self seeking interests. With 339 million people in this country please do not tell me that the 23 guys on the MNT are the best we have. That would be almost as embarrassing as the MNT getting waxed in front of 32 billion people. The powers that be need to be removed and?or get off their ARSE and participate in the development of the game for the games sake and for pride, not for money or ego or for little johnny to make us proud. This is the reality and until we figure out that the rest of the world rewards itself after the job is done and we need to do the same than we are going nowhere.

#69439 06/14/06 02:19 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
AMEN!!! I think that says it all.

#69440 06/14/06 02:58 AM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
First off, 339 million Americans? 32 billion people??? On what planet do you base your facts?

Does US Soccer have faults? YES, but they are trying to address those needs IMO. As for the facts above, the latest US Census has the population at 298,971,390 (300 million); World population of 6,522,042,619 (6.5 billion).

The U.S. is pouring in millions of dollars into soccer development at all levels to address talent needs in American soccer. I agree that it will be interesting if more inner-city kids, African-Americans, and Hispanics will be truly addressed, especially at the State, ODP, and National levels. This is where talent recognition will be paramount -- not just where parents fork over more money for their kids to receive top training in return for a DII coach to notice them.

It was recently brought to my attention that several of the European countries (England, Germany, Holland, etc.) have tried desperately to emulate the American model of training and that the "Europe of yesteryear" is now gone -- meaning that pickup soccer games and growing up with the game have given way to X-Box, organized soccer training (read parents taking kids to two practices per week), piano lessons, tennis/golf (country-club sports), etc., just like the U.S. faces. This will certainly have an adverse effect on future soccer generations in those countries and may really pave the way for a balance amongst U.S. and European soccer, but allow for tremendous gains in Asian and African countries where the sport is still played by "everybody". The difference is that many of these countries don't have the momey/resources to contribute to high level training and serious year-round player development or education.

It seems totally plausible that this years run in the World Cup may just be a hiccup in the grand scheme of US Soccer, but may force our "soccer folks" to re-focus on the real problems facing the American game and find solutions!

I look forward to seeing how the US and Bruce Arena will try to right the ship against Italy and Ghana and get the points needed to advance to the Round of 16. Should be interesting!

#69441 06/14/06 03:38 AM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Until soccer development becomes more important then education, then America will always be behind the rest of the world. Sport needs to be the main, and only, focus for the elite players from the young ages. That means maybe leaving home to go to clubs with room, board, some education and ALOT of soccer. The obvious place for these schools? MLS clubs.

As far as the person who referenced the English and the FA? Another problem in this country: too many accents and "tea bags." Look at England's system and development. The only successful clubs are ones filled with foreigners and the National Team has been crap for a while, including that Paraguay performance.

#69442 06/14/06 09:30 AM
hat-trick
hat-trick
I believe that by "in front of 32 billion people", balnogowan was referring to cumulative TV viewers. In 2002 it was 28.8 billion and in 1998 it was 33.4 billion. See this web page

#69443 06/14/06 11:39 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Our ODP system.....Since tryouts in December have had two practices and one sub regional..And this is a developmental program? The cost for training does play a role in who is attending these tryouts

#69444 06/14/06 12:23 PM
coach
coach
balnogawon said it perfectly: 'God forbid we should concentrate our efforts at the grass roots level and truly allow development to take place. This cannot and will not happen unless we stop letting upper middle class to upper class insecurities dictate what will happen and who will be playing.'
That is the key - development at the grass roots. As much as I jest about the evil Red CESA empire, that is exactly what they seek as part of their overall mission in SC. If the US does not 'right its ship' this World Cup, then the US and the highly political ODP system of selection can be considered to be broken. Many younger quality players U14 to U18 do not even consider ODP because of its high- class image. Obviously our system of training is not equal to that of many other countries, i.e., the Netherlands, Brazil.
Also, the US system involves no passion, as you see from the Euro, African & Asian countries. Part of the reason is of course the excessive and multiple avenues of other entertainment available to our youth, many other organized sports, and our very own unique society of social soccer in many youth clubs. The Euros, Asians, Africans and South Americans would never conceive of soccer as a social sport.
The 'friggin' Ivory Coast even temporarily stopped a Civil War in its country so they could focus on their passion for soccer at the World Cup!!
I guess a determination will be made on the future of ODP and the National US approach to soccer after our next two games.

#69445 06/14/06 12:59 PM
Goal
Goal
How much does ODP actually cost? Do they offer scholarships for underpriviledged kids? What are the coaches paid? What is the administration of ODP paid?

#69446 06/14/06 01:25 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
1. I think Beezer is correct. Until soccer development is more important than education, the US will lag behind.
2. That being said. I will never place sports (or whatever) ahead of my sons education.
3. As I have posted before, I would like to see the USSF have a "Bradenton" u17 academy in each region and I would like to see each state create a soccer (or multisport) magnet/charter academy. This would be along the lines of IMG. In SC we are already lucky enough to have residential high schools with the Governors schools (Art and Math/Science).

#69447 06/14/06 01:36 PM
world cup
world cup
kdlsc,

For competition purposes, who would each state's "Bradenton" play against? Would they have to travel to play Georgia's Bradenton and Atlanta's Bradenton and Florida's Bradenton?

Nobody in SC wants to play Bishop England because the playing field is not level. I don't think that even the Wando's, Irmo's and Northwestern's would be interested in taking on "Bradenton".

#69448 06/14/06 01:43 PM
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Thanks Coach P for the clarification.

quote:
Look at England's system and development. The only successful clubs are ones filled with foreigners and the National Team has been crap for a while, including that Paraguay performance.
The same is true in Germany as Bayern, Dortmund, etc. have all loaded up their in-house youth development teams with Eastern European players and this has caused some alarm amongst the Germans as the natives are not being trained in this environment like they used to be.

#69449 06/14/06 02:09 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Hurst,
There are two programs that I am talking about. The USSF should create regional u17 residential programs(like bradenton)and each state should create a public sports academy (IMG).

You pose a great question. I will follow that up with who do bradenton and IMG play? First of all, I am talking about high schools, so sorry to the Wando's and Irmo's, they would have to play the SC school. In addition, in SC, the school could possibly play in an adult league. I know that some of the CESA teams have played in the Greenville men's league. I think the real problem you run into is the High School League rules on practicing and number of players from one club. Now, this would be year round (9 months anyway)and the players may not play club, but I think it would need the cooperation of a club.

#69450 06/14/06 09:47 PM
M
goal kick
goal kick
M
The ODP program is a great program but a fact is that not one player in SC ODP has ever made it to the professional level.

#69451 06/15/06 12:31 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Temoc Suarez didn't play SC ODP?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard