#69490 06/13/06 10:57 PM
G
goals66 Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
G
http://thetigernet.com/view/story.do?id=5907

i spend a ton of time on the thetigernet.com and found this article interesting. Its talks about baseball scholarships, but the same principle can easily be applied towards soccer. it gives a breakdown on how clemson used its soccer scholarships last year.

#69491 06/14/06 01:38 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
At least Clemson has the money to keep men's sports and add women's. Many smaller schools have opted to drop men's programs like soccer, wrestling, water polo, volleyball, etc. to comply with Title IX. I for one am a casualty of Title IX.

#69492 06/14/06 01:45 AM
S
coach
coach
S
This country began going downhill when the government allowed women to vote. Now the federal government expects federally funded institutions to be non-discrimanatory in terms of sports. Hard to believe.

P.S. I'm being very sarcastic. [Smile]

#69493 06/14/06 02:26 AM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Chico,
I saw a video the other night where a high school kid went to a girls school to get them to sign a petition to end women's suffrage. It was hilarious. So many girls were on board, they had no idea what it meant.
And I hope you understand that I am all for equal rights, I think the reporter at Clemson does not understand how lucky they are to not have to drop sports because of lack of funding.

#69494 06/14/06 01:56 PM
S
coach
coach
S
kdlsc: I think women's suffering should be ended as well. [Smile]

More seriously, when this subject was raised on this message board some number of months ago, I did some research and was amazed that almost all college football programs lost money. Clemson and USC are obvious exceptions to that and are able to fund more generously their athletic programs for both men and women.

It also should be noted that the proposal to the NCAA to add soccer scholarships was rejected by its members -- I asked someone at the NCAA about this and they said that it was primarily the smaller schools that rejected it -- Division IA schools like Clemson and USC were for it.

#69495 06/14/06 05:29 PM
B
kick off
kick off
B
quote:
Originally posted by Chico:

It also should be noted that the proposal to the NCAA to add soccer scholarships was rejected by its members -- I asked someone at the NCAA about this and they said that it was primarily the smaller schools that rejected it -- Division IA schools like Clemson and USC were for it. [/QB]

I was going to post something to this extent earlier, but Chico beat me too it. The loss of scholarships for college athletics are more of a result of the NCAA making the playing field level for the smaller schools without the money to offer full scholarships to a whole team than title IX. Before the NCAA limited the number of scholarships, large programs were "stockpiling" talent and making it impossible for the smaller schools to compete. The NCAA limited the number of scholarships in all sports (football included) not just Soccer to allow smaller schools a more competitive chance.

#69496 06/14/06 06:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's something to note. I heard this on Teddy Hefner's show regarding baseball scholarships, but it could apply to soccer as well.

In Georgia, their lottery pays 81% tuition to in-state students. Do you realize how far this helps their 11.4 baseball scholarships go? I would guess that school's interested in building a strong soccer program could go about it in the same way. The real irony is that USC's 2 most recognized soccer players are both products of Georgia; Clint Mathis and Josh Wolfe.

#69497 06/14/06 08:05 PM
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Mark,
Not sure what you were getting at but,
1. Yes, some Georgia schools could use the lottery to build strong soccer programs.
2. UGA does not field a men's soccer team.
3. Clint and Josh were pre Georgia lottery. OK I'm 95% sure of that.
4. I don't think the SC lottery pays 81% of in state students tuition.
5. Maybe we will elect a Governor who will put more of the lottery money to our elementary, middle and high schools or let some of us who have existing loans with the sc student loan corp. but were pre-lottery have some of that money (sorry to get into politics).

Link Copied to Clipboard