goal kick
goal kick
M
All I have to say is....  -

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
you should put some dreadlocks on him to have that name or for someone to pull on!!

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
coldhardtruth, my point exactly. The guy has been great but he has not played great for England since he scored the free kick that got us into the 2002 World Cup.
He does hit a sweet dead ball, but given the squad we have it is hard not to come to the conclusion that he should be left out and let Terry be captain.
For goodness sake lets just try it.
But the answer to your question is....not far.
If they play Ecuador in the round of 16 they may make it. If they play Germany, that will be a struggle. But in the quarter finals they are seeded to meet either Argentina or Holland. No way past either of those teams given the make up of the current team and the tactics they are using. Sad but true.!

world cup
world cup
Bazza, once we reach the knockout round, there are NO pretenders. I don't see any Turkeys or South Koreas out there this year (maybe Australia). It's the heavyweights from Central and South America and Europe's finest. All good teams....anybody can beat anybody if it is their day. England won't lose by reason of Crouch up top and Beckham in the midfield.

Regarding Beckham.....he's valuable and his liabilities can be covered by the other 10 players on the field. Does Terry possess the best personality to be captain? Sure....but Beckham has seniority.

Crouch is not only getting hammered by the faithful back in England.....there were plenty of patrons in the bar with me in Charlotte yesterday who also share your opinion. That's what makes the game great. Given the circumstances, I think England can win with Crouch, you don't think they can. Is he world class? No, not even as good as the reserve forwards that Argentina and Brasil bring off the bench. But how many guys out there are "world class"? How many guys on the US roster are "world class"?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Beckham is going to have to do more than serve balls if England expects to be around at the end.
The stronger defenses are going to be around at the end of the cup

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Hurst, Very few world class players for U.S. That's why they will not be around much longer

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Hurst66, I would have an easier time accepting Crouch's presence on the squad if there were no-one else fit. But there was. We don't know yet if Defoe is world class but he is better than Crouch. Fowler is absolutely world class even if he is not the player he was. Bent was the leading English scorer in the EPL behind Henry and Van Nistelrooy. Andy Johnson's scoring record is better than Crouch's. Now, if all those players wre injured and Crouch was all we had then I would accept your argument about doing the best with what you have. Given that he is on the squad, we cam still pick 11 players that will win us the game without him starting.
On the subject of Beckham, seniority alone should not guarantee you your place. If that is the case, he knows he does not even have to compete for his place, and that is how he plays.

M
goal kick
goal kick
M
And yet, after all of these arguments, it seems to me that England has scored 3 goals in the tournament, two gamewinners, and that Beckham has been an intricate part of both with Crouch getting one of them. Funny, isn't it....

S
Brace
Brace
S
Director(Man U) has a point. But nonetheless, England is not looking impressive at all. And i dont understand all this hate on crouch. Is he really worth all this talking about him? he's a good player, that's it. Ya'll treatin him like hes the coming of the Christ for english soccer. And Bazza, they're not getting past the next round. Ecuador has a real good squad, and Germany is self explanatory.

B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
I agree, given the team that Eriksson is picking and the tactics they are playing they may well not make it into the quarter finals. Hell, they may not even beat Sweden.
But I don't hate Crouch. It's not his fault he was selected. He is not responsible for Eriksson's poor judgment. He's an average EPL player,but not good enough for the World Cup given the other players available.
Man U Fan, your stats are correct, they just have no perspective. They have scored 3 goals. One against a poor Paraguay team and two against the worst team at the Cup. T&T were 2000-1 to win it!!!
If they had played the team I have suggested I believe they would have beaten both teams by 3 or 4 and that's without Rooney.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard