Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69622 06/15/06 07:08 PM
coach
OP Offline
coach
One opinion from Ellinger-

John Ellinger, former coach of many of the players on the U.S. World Cup team, talks about the squad and its chances after a crushing loss to the Czech Republic
By David Gerlach -

June 14, 2006 - Though John Ellinger is hardly the only American to yell at the television and bark out commands Monday while watching the U.S. lose to the Czech Republic in the World Cup, he is one of the few who has a chance of getting his thoughts heard. Now coach of the Major League Soccer team Real Salt Lake, Ellinger has strong connections to the American squad playing in Germany. He led the Under-17 Men's National Team for seven years before moving to MLS in 2004. Four players from his first team—the squad that came from out of nowhere to finish fourth in the 1999 FIFA U-17 World Championships—and one from his 2001 group are important members of the current U.S. World Cup Team: Forwards Bobby Convey and Eddie Johnson, midfielders Landon Donovan and Demarcus Beasley and defender Oguchi Onyewu.

Ellinger’s involvement with U.S. youth soccer came in the aftermath of the 1998 World Cup, when the U.S. finished last among the 32 teams. The U.S. Soccer Federation responded with an intensive soccer development program to groom the nation’s top young players. Housed at the IMG sports academy in Bradenton, Fla., the players would live, go to school and play soccer together year round. The goal: to win the World Cup by 2010. While the U.S. has a way to go after a disastrous start to this year’s tournament, Ellinger remains optimistic. “I don’t think one game—though it was on a pretty big stage—is going to knock us back to where we were in 1986.” NEWSWEEK’s David Gerlach spoke with Ellinger on the loss, what it’s like watching players he helped develop, and why prospects for U.S. soccer are still good.

What’s your reaction to the American’s showing versus the Czech Republic?
It was disappointing. But the bottom line is we definitely didn’t deserve to win it. We had possession; we just didn’t do anything dangerous. We lacked a rhythm today.

What happened to the intensity the U.S. was expected to bring this year?
They looked outmatched in nearly every aspect of the game. I think that is what [Coach] Bruce [Arena] was alluding to [in postgame interviews]. That some people have to look at themselves and decide if this game at this level is really for them. You can’t get to that stage and put your heads down. You have to keep fighting. But knowing those four [Donovan, Beasley, Onyewu and Convey], their competitive nature, they definitely believe they can beat anybody.

What is it like watching guys that you coached play in the World Cup?
You watch it like a proud dad. They were the first group, and I saw them go through school and all the things you have been through with them and then to see them in a World Cup, it’s an exciting feeling.

How important do you think this U-17 program is to developing a strong U.S. national team?
For us at the time [1998], it was something that was definitely needed. The residency program changed the whole dynamic of player-development systems in the U.S. Now we are taking the elite players and putting them in an environment year-round, and they go to school and play soccer together every day. For us we knew we were creating a surreal professional environment.

You mean one different from the European model where youth teams are connected to older club and professional teams?
The top clubs in the rest of the world move players up and down through the different levels. Holland is a very small country, and look at the national team they produce. All the youth teams are tied into the professional teams. It’s just done differently here. Our youth team is totally separate from the pro ranks. But at least it was a start, and it certainly helped us develop players and make us more competitive at the youth level. And it helped some of the stars that came out and are still coming out; they can step into the pro ranks and actually be pretty successful right away.

Do you think U.S. soccer will continue to transform toward that model, like in Holland?
Yes, as much as we can. There’s some talk in the MLS of having some youth teams connected, but it would probably just be primarily during the summer months. At least having coaching staffs that are involved with the pro level would be better. It would be a chance to get some locally grown talent into your system.

Italy’s up next. What was it like playing against Italian teams on the U-17 level?
Italy is one of those teams, at least at the youth level, that they kind of look down at you. It is that attitude you get. Italy is the worst. They have no qualms about calling penalty kicks on you. There is a pretty good rivalry that has grown up. Any of the guys on the U.S. team that have played against Italy on the youth level will tell you the same thing: this is one team they want to beat.

Are you going to give a call to any of your former players as they prepare for the game against Italy?
I’ll send them some e-mails and tell them to pick their heads up and get the next one. They’re probably their own biggest critics.

What are you hoping to see out of these five guys and the entire team against Italy?
All five of them are probably embarrassed by the result, and they are going to go out and try and rectify the situation on Saturday. If they are playing, I hope they are more aggressive. More motivated. It comes down to … don’t fear your opponent. You have to respect them.

Give us a prediction.
I’m going to go with 2-0, U.S.

And the U.S. will then beat Ghana and make it through the group?
I’m the optimist on this one. We’re up against the wall. I know it’s at the low point right now. But I think we are still going to get through.

#69623 06/16/06 03:56 AM
corner kick
corner kick
U.S. 2-0....pffft, no wonder he is no longer the coach of the u-17's...

Link Copied to Clipboard