Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#69631 06/17/06 07:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is it that the US teams never sing the National Anthem? Every other country in the world sings their anthem except us. I really think it is a reflection of our society in that these guys are representing themselves instead of their country.

Was it '98 or '02 when we were humiliated by Iran? The Iranians were singing their athem at the top of their lungs and the US players were standing through their song dumbfounded. We have young people losing their lives to give these guys the opportunity to play their game and they don't give our country any more respect than this. They're disgusting.

#69632 06/17/06 07:54 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Mark,
I think you are being harsh on these players. It is a reflection of the US society as a whole. How often do you see American fans singing the Star Spangled banner at sports events?

#69633 06/17/06 08:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Often. But fortunately I sit in seats full of educators at USC football games. I also work at a school affiliated with the National Guard.

"A reflection of society as a whole", you say. They are representing our country, for goodness sake. They are in a position to lead our youth. I don't think I'm being too harsh. Go take a ride through Ft. Jackson some day and thank your lucky stars you have some patriots left in this country fighting to give you the right to be so passive. We take far too much for granted.

#69634 06/17/06 08:55 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Again, I think you are singling out just one group. Watch the other US professional teams during the pregame national anthem. Watch the Olympics. It is certainly not just the soccer team.

#69635 06/17/06 09:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hold soccer players to a much higher standard. Not that I don't find it disgusting among all who gain the right to represent our country. In fact, I find it disheartening that you even choose to defend their actions. Or lack of.

#69636 06/17/06 09:20 PM
S
Brace
Brace
S
Mark Ready, just because you don't sing the national anthem doesn't mean you dont have respect, pride, and gratitude for your country and those defending it. These players are proud to represent the colors and put forth their best effort. Like coach P said, you're being a litle too harsh. Many players from other countries dont sing their national anthem, but that doesnt mean they dont have pride in their country. All week these players were in a military base and were expressing how thankful and proud they are of their soldiers. Maybe these players feel the pride of hearing the National Anthem being played and admiring the fans singing it in unison.

#69637 06/17/06 09:22 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Ok Mark, let me just say that I was watching the national anthem and I was impressed with the US team's focus on what they had to do on the field. Why get all emotional with the idea that you are there to sing the national anthem. Last time I checked, athletes were not required to sing...they are there to play. I was usually focused on what I had to do rather than the national anthem before games that I played in. Who cares if they didn't sing it? Does it really matter that much? Do you believe in hyper-nationalism? Just let it go. And before you go ripping me on my support of the US, I am a veteran of the US Navy where I served 6 years.

#69638 06/17/06 09:41 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Ready:
"A reflection of society as a whole", you say.

Yes. A 2004 Harris poll found that 61% of Americans over 18 do not know all the words to the national anthem. An ABC news poll found that only 15% of American teenagers can sing the anthem from memory. It's kind of hard to sing a song you don't know.

If you believe it is disgusting to not sing the anthem, then you should be disgusted by a majority of Americans.

But I have to agree with the other posters that there are a lot of ways to show your pride and respect for America other than singing a song. Those men and women who won and defended our freedom, were winning and defending our freedom to choose what we do and what we believe in. Including the right to sing or not to sing.

#69639 06/17/06 09:53 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Ready:
In fact, I find it disheartening that you even choose to defend their actions.

I was not defending or criticizing anyone's actions. I was just saying that I think you are harshly singling out one small group of Americans when they are only reflecting the state of the country as a whole. If the US soccer team is representative of those in the Harris Poll, less than 5 of the 11 know all the words of the national anthem anyway.

#69640 06/17/06 10:35 PM
J
world cup
world cup
J
What about the fact that they're representing us when they're out on the field getting bloodied up and what not?!

If they were there for themselves..they wouldn't be there.. they'd be training for their club seasons..waiting for that check to roll in. People dream about playing in the World Cup..beacuse IT'S THE WORLD CUP! You think Brian McBride and Eddie Johnson are there for the paycheck and the fame?!

Get off your soapbox..

How dare YOU be so self-righteous..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard