Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Anyone get a reply besides the out of office one?

J
world cup
world cup
J
Of course not.

world cup
world cup
What happens this Sunday morning? Is England-Ecuador on ABC?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Hurst...not a clue... but you are welcome to view my video of church TV this past Sunday if you like.

Hopefully you will not have this issue in your area.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Since the England-Ecuador coverage does not start until 10:30, I would suspect it will be shown.

hat-trick
hat-trick
I emailed Dave Aiken and he responded that they will be showing the ABC broadcast of the World Cup game at 10:30 on Sunday.

World Cup
World Cup
My comment about Doug Nye's column, "On the Air", that appeared on Columbia's "Talking Sports with Teddy Heffner" (AM-1400).
quote:
Teddy -

I see where The State newspaper's resident "television writer", Doug Nye, is poking fun at soccer once again.

The myopic Nye, who would have been awarded a Pulitzer prize for poor sports writing if it was offered years ago, states that the World Cup has averaged a 2.0 rating in the United States.

Well, in my opinion, that's not a bad figure at all considering the U.S. men's national team didn't advance to the Knockout stage of 16 teams and that the Quarterfinals begin today.

Just below that mundane column, Nye hails college baseball's National Championship game between North Carolina and Oregon State as drawing a 2.2 rating, which was the third-highest-rated college baseball game ever, and Nye shows his sporting bias.

I'm sure he'll be disappointed at these comments:

ABC and ESPN's ratings for World Cup have been excellent despite the cynics and obvious contempt of the soccer hating sports media in this country.

The Czech Republic-USA match was the highest rated program thus far in 2006 on ESPN 2, and the USA-Italy game garnered a 5.8 overnight rating for the ABC telecast. ABC also had a 3.1 rating for its telecast of Trinidad &Tobago versus Sweden and is averaging a 2.8 overall rating on weekend games, including games that start early in the morning US time.

This is compared with an average rating of 1.5 for Prime Time NHL Stanley Cup finals telecasts on NBC. OLN's cable telecasts of the NHL playoffs averaged a 0.4 cable rating as compared to ESPN2's average daily rating of 1.8 for World Cup telecasts. Keep in mind the Soccer broadcasts are during the day when viewership is typically much lower than Prime Time when the NHL games are being broadcast.

Yet the sports media in this country by and large assumes more people are interested in the NHL than the "foreign" game of Soccer. Or is it just that the media is fueled by Northeastern elites who seek to force Hockey down our throats?

Says ESPN senior vice president Artie Bulgrin, "I'm amazed at the interest." That's good news as we continue to build a soccer culture in this country.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard