Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
world cup
world cup
J
I would say the US team & fans are capable of that kind of passion..but not on a consistent basis. We're getting there with matches like US/Mexico and US/Italy the other day. But..just not there yet.

We need to play more European teams..and beat them..that's when the tide will start to turn.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
One of my boys was at the Clemson camp last weekend. Since I had some time to kill, and I was staying down by Anderson, I went to Hooters to catch the Czech Republic / Ghana game. Granted, I wouldn't expect much interest for that game, but I was pretty sure that they would be showing it. The large screen was on a fishing show. I would have asked a waitress to change it, but there were quite a few people actively watching it. There are at least ten other TVs in the place. All of them were tuned to golf or sports talk shows. I sat at the bar where I could have one of the TVs to myself, and got the barmaid to put on the game for me. No one else showed any interest. I left before the US game that followed it, so I don't know if they ever switched the big screen to it. Somehow, I don't think so.

I'm ok with this remaining a niche sport. I'm also into bike racing. Once a year, we get some idiot reporters doing pieces where they say that's not a real sport, and any lycra wearing sissy can ride a bike. Doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I almost enjoyed it more when co-workers asked me less about it, especially when they get offended when I don't agree that Armstrong was the best cyclist ever. Same with soccer. Just let me enjoy it in peace. (BTW, I don't think Hooters shows the TdF on OLN either...)

World Cup
World Cup
I couldn't find George Lewis' comments in his Letter to the Editor (The State) from two weeks ago -- it may have been in the World Cup thread for some reason -- but here is a rebuttal in today's paper.
quote:
Tuesday’s Letters to the Editor

Soccer becoming more popular in U.S.
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/editorial/letters/14909544.htm

A recent letter writer stated that he would prefer to watch paint dry rather than a soccer match.

I challenge the letter writer, who is from Cayce, to attend a Brookland-Cayce boys or girls soccer game. If he does, he will see the enormous amount of dedication and passion that is displayed in the game.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. This month, as the World Cup is being played in Germany, many sports arenas in America are being turned into viewing venues for the World Cup, such as the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Soccer is becoming a popular sport in America. I am excited to see it continue to grow and hope one day the United States can be an even bigger World Soccer power, like Brazil.

J. SCOTT BUSBEE
West Columbia

coach
coach
Hurst,
I recommend this new book on American youth soccer. It is not a serious look at our soccer, but instead is a light-hearted look at the social side of youth soccer in America. I think sometimes, our coaches, clubs, high schools try too hard to exert excessive pressure and expectations on our kids, so much so that the kids do not enjoy the game as they should or could. The Euros, Mexicans, South American kids all enjoy the game much more than our American youth. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0865476942/qid=1151417702/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-9060640-6170268?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

coach
coach
American soccer fans say they love their sport and swear by its beauty and skill and style. They decry those that say it is too slow, cumbersome, and boring to watch. Fouls and penalties are viewed as lacking any definitive structure. The US players are viewed as less than athletic. So, are we, can we, be really passionate about our sport? I venture to say we are not. Look at the attendance at club games, high school games, tournament games in SC. It it usually just family members, and in a lot of cases not even those come to the games. The only time there are some numbers is for a state final or a big tournament final,i.e. Palmetto Cup. Nationally, there is a bigger following due to the various cultural cities and populations. And with the US teams are we really passionate about the game? Are we that upset that the US men did so poorly this year at the World Cup? Had we won our group or even advanced, would we be that excited? I have not seen or heard of passionate reactions to a loss or a victory like you see here with the Australians and Germans.
Australian fans -

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/dave1951/australia.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/dave1951/australia1.jpg

German fan celebration -

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/dave1951/germancelebration.jpg

B
kick off
kick off
B
Reading the article at top and other similar articles have made me think of what is a good sport? I figure I would use the American journalists idea of sport.

1. Must use your hands.
There goes Soccer, Cycling, Equestrian, Grecco-Roman Wrestling, skating, and surfing
2. Must have a set time limit. People must know how long the event is going to last.
There goes Aquatics, Archery, Track, Badminton, Baseball, Boxing, Canoe/kayak, Fencing, Gymnastics, Judo, Pentathlon, Rowing, Sailing, Shooting, Softball, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Triathlon, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Wrestling, Biathlon, Bobsleigh, Curling, Luge, Skiing, and Autoracing.
3. Cannot have offsides
There goes American Football and Hockey
4. Cannot have touch fouls (need to be able to tackle someone)
Goodbye Basketball
I guess there really aren’t any good sports these days.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard