Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#69835 06/22/06 05:10 PM
coach
coach
Manu,
Thanks for your critique of my post. And maybe I did not put a great deal of thought into my 'terrible post', at a time when I am disgusted with the US showing. Its just my opinion and you can disagree all you want. I have been known to be wrong once or twice in my many years. It is difficult to compare American athletes with Euros or South Americans because soccer is their culture. Americans cannot develop into quality, skillful soccer players to be able to compete with the world, if they are not first athletic. I don't think the ODP/National program considers that at all. Too much emphasis and money has been placed on coaching and training these 'elite' players, and it has not produced any tangible results.
If those were the most skillful, athletic players in the US, then we are further behind the rest of the world than I would have thought.

#69836 06/22/06 05:42 PM
Brace
Brace
The U.S. sickened me with their lackluster performance the last 10 days. Today's display was absurd. A 4-5-1 when you HAVE to win. Stupid, utterly asanine.

The USA is an "attack-minded" country. Why do you think we have troops in Iraq/Afghanistan. Why have we stationed 80,000 American troops in Germany for 60 years. Why is the U.S. still protecting South Korea from North Korea? Why are we the only nation to drop an atomic bomb? Why?

Because we're attack minded and don't know how to stall, until we get to our MNT.

We should be playing a 3-5-2 at minimum and sending balls forward to wilt the defenses and then use our subs (2-3) for more front-runners and attackers. Not sit back and get a 4v3 and play the ball backwards [Mad] like we did on at least three occasions. Balboa referred to the Ghana defense as playing dangerous with their "high-line", but the U.S. could not exploit it due to getting a breakaway and then stopping the pressure by playing laterally or backwards (of all things). That's like Dwayne Wade (thanks Hurst66) getting a fast-break and pulling up after cross mid-court to let all five defenders catch up and go back in front.

Reyna was/is a joke and I'm glad he's finished with the national side. Donovan and Beasley are major league (no MLS pun intended) disappointments.

quote:
Americans cannot develop into quality, skillful soccer players to be able to compete with the world, if they are not first athletic. I don't think the ODP program considers that at all.
As for this statement, until our best athletes are directed towards soccer instead of football/basketball, the U.S. will continue to struggle on the global scene. What sport would Jan Koller play in the USA? Basketball (F). How about Michael Essien? Football (DB).

How do you direct our best athletes to soccer -- surely not through ODP (too expensive and narrow minded); not through club soccer (too expensive and scared to include minorities IMO). That leaves the school system, much like basketball/football rely on. Yes, I know of the AAU effect on basketball, but by and large kids get their first opportunities in low-cost youth leagues and their school teams. This is the path soccer must take if it truly wants to garner the best athletes in this country.

Not playing the race card, but I would like to point out some interesting data.

Why do African-Americans account for only 13% of the U.S. population (290 million), but makeup 65-69% of NFL football rosters (from 2002-04 reports)?

Major League Soccer in the 2004 season had 64% fo the league comprised of Whites; 17% of the rosters made up of African-Americans, 14% Latinos, and 1% Asian-American. MLS has addressed Diversity Education within the Hispanic populations via MLS Futbolito (Hispanic grassroots effort), MLS Budweiser Hispanic Nights, Hispanic Heritage Night (September).

The NBA has 77% African-American representation, while only 21% of the league is made up of whites (of which only 55% are American-born).

The NFL, like the NBA, is a sport with a black majority. Yet, according to Lapchick's most recent report card, the 65 percent black representation in the 2001 season was a four-year low. And the league's feeder system - Division I college football - was 49.4 percent white and 42.1 percent black in 2000-01. -- Jon Entine Online

Like soccer, baseball (the American pasttime) has met a similar fate as only 9% of opening day rosters in 2005 were comprised of African-Americans. Didn't the U.S. finish poorly in the spring World Baseball Classic too? While S.C. and most Sunbelt states do well in baseball, the national pasttime is certainly not that anymore as it has given way to the NFL, NBA and their college counterparts as the most popular team sports in this country.

#69837 06/22/06 05:53 PM
Brace
Brace
quote:
Isn't Bora available?

;>)

First Cup I've seen him without a team in many years. Where was he last.....China?

It was mentioned earlier in the WC that he was working as a broadcaster for someone. I think he's fluent in something like five languages, so it makes sense.

Who should the U.S. turn to direct the MNT? Do we go outside the Bruce Arena clan (i.e. Glenn Myernick, current asst.) and go for a Gus Hinnick of Australia. [Confused]

#69838 06/22/06 06:05 PM
World Cup
World Cup
[Mad] Oh well, wouldn't you know that my detailed comments went to the great abyss in cyberspace as my computer froze. I'll try to get them compiled later today!

#69839 06/22/06 06:10 PM
world cup
world cup
Hammer,

I believe you are referencing Dwayne Wade.

#69840 06/22/06 06:19 PM
J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Pretty much all of my thoughts have already been covered in all of these posts.. but I will post anyway.. in honor of the US effort today. I give you.. "A Post in Futility"

I'd like to see the person that will defend Bruce Arena for his efforts in THIS World Cup. No doubt..he has done more for USMNT than any other coach..but I think the jig is up.

At the time I could stomach the fact that Arena didn't sub McBride for Johnson in the Italy match because they were playing for the tie. And at that time.. 1 point with 9 men looked GREAT. But now.. it bothers me even more. Not only did we pass up an opportunity to win a match we had no business winning. We admitted to the World..that we are humble and complacent.. rather than hungry and passionate. Arena should have subbed Johnson for at least the last 20 minutes.. told him to try to get a breakaway..but primarily play defense.

I have to echo what Hammer, Futbol G, and some others have said. How do you play a 4-5-1 for 60 minutes of a match you HAVE to win..

How do you let your players boom the ball up top.. when you're playing a 4-5-1. What's the point of that..when McBride..the LONE forward..is the only one that's probably going to win the ball.

4-4-2, 3-4-3, 3-5-2 ..these are the only formations we should have seen.

I don't really want to say much more about Arena.. I appreciate what he's done..and I don't think this WC should mar his legacy.. the USMNT simply has surpassed his abilities.

As for the players.. you can say all you want about player selection. But I mean sh**.. I would have rather had 3 Eddie Lewis in the middle instead of Donovan and Beasley..and that's something I NEVER thought I'd say.

It's really hard to produce..when your stars won't even show up.

Donovan, Beasley, Arena, they all need to go have a group session with Dr. Phil and figure out what the &(*# they're doing.

As far as Officiating goes..how much more can you beat this pulverized horse. I just watched a Croatian defender PULL Viduka down in the box.. and the bile rises again in my throat when I think back to the Italy match..and the PK Merk gave Ghana today.

POSITIVE: (yes..there is positive)

Overall..our defense did really well.. (which makes the 4-5-1 even more unforgivable) Excluding the Czech match.. which NO ONE showed up for.. we gave one goal on a set piece..and one on a give away by Reyna (and you can say Boca should have made better of the ball before the PK..but no one that PK is on the US)

Despite all the fouls, cards, and the PK.. I think Gooch lived up to the hype. With more consistent/unridiculous officiating..he is a standout.

Dempsey - His rap may suck..but he played with the best of them.

McBride - This guy is my "hero" as far as athletics go. I thought it was funny at first.. but this quote from Tommy Smyth the other day.. pretty much says it, "McBride will put his head where other people won't even put their foot."

I've already said so much..and there is so much more to say.. but I'm tired..and just..disappointed. Bleh.

#69841 06/22/06 06:28 PM
World Cup
World Cup
quote:
If the US ODP program cannot find and/or produce better quality, faster, quicker athletes, then their current method needs to be trashed. We have got to seek athletic players first, then train and then coach, in that order.
Amazing!

On my way back from the CESA North-South Soccer Classic this past weekend, I had a pretty good conversation with two Midlands area high school coaches concerning the Olympic Development Program at the national and state levels.

My comments targeted what is said above, in that the ODP system, in general, does not recognize the best individual "soccer players" in this state -- much less our country. Think of the Palmetto State as a microcosm of the entire picture. The fact that little Johnny/Joanne can tryout on a particular date and be one of the 18 players to show up and be selected based on the premise that he/she can fund his way to the ODP training camps, practices, games, etc. That's a fundamental flaw from the outset.

At this point, we are relying on the club system to identify these players, but that might not trickle down to the regular player/athlete that has not been made aware of this program via his club, school, or community. Also, shouldn't the "state team" truly represent the best players available? What if the player cannot afford this training and experience? Is he/she shoved to the side for a player that can fund these costs? Where does SCYSA pick up its tab in this development? Where do the clubs incur the 'coverage' of these players? The way it stands now the ODP does not address the best athlete at an early stage of his/her development.

And who chooses these teams? The SCODP statute says that an ODP coach cannot 'recruit' or encourage players to tryout. Why not? Maybe that particular player hasn't heard about the tryouts or perhaps some other factors (financial, transportation, etc.) limit that player's ability to tryout.

Again, let's look at the SCODP system. Van Taylor (who I like) is the Director and he is the head men's soccer coach at Lander University in Greenwood, S.C. An analysis of the Bearcats' current roster reflects seven players from the Palmetto State (albeit four from Greenwood) and only one outside of a 60-mile radius -- that's a player from Columbia (90 miles away). However, 11 internationals dot the Lander roster and I would think that a person with this much exposure to South Carolina's "best soccer players" would be able to attract more than seven student-athletes to a state-supported institution. Or is that the problem? Perhaps Taylor has recognized that the average South Carolina player just can't compete at the NCAA Division II level.

I have more I will be addressing in the near future, but for now that's it due to a meeting I have to attend.

#69842 06/22/06 06:36 PM
world cup
world cup
Kyle,

Check the rosters of any of our top D2 mens & womens programs in South Carolina and you won't see many Palmetto state residents.

Also, if the ends justifies the means, it's probably better to be on a CESA Premier roster than a SCODP roster. If you can only afford one "investment" due to limited resources (time & money), many will argue that the super-club offers more training and exposure.

#69843 06/22/06 06:39 PM
Brace
Brace
quote:
In all 2004stroker, terrible point in my opinion, bad suggestion, think before you post next time.
[Roll Eyes]

quote:
Always Right. Bad Comments my friend, you're asking for a lot of hell from other people with what you've said. As for myself, I actually would rather watch Fast Pitch Softball than a Baseball game anyday. At least there is a possibility that some of the softball players may be very attractive whereas the baseball players have nothing going for them to make the game more interesting then watching grass grow. Julie Foudy may not be the best person to analyze the world cup, I would agree with that, but I don't think saying it is embarassing is very fair. Think about your comments next time before you post them.
[Roll Eyes]

Don't worry 2004Striker, all Man U Fan does is say the same thing over and over. He's clueless. [Wink]

In fact, I think the only thing that I've agreed with him on is this:

quote:
scskeeper is possible the most pointless and annoying poster since THE Fenomeno left
. [Big Grin]

Man U Fan never did say where he played in regards to this post:

quote:
Being part of a team is a great benefit for a number of reasons. It is especially beneficial when the team gets along really well, as mine does. Attending college at the same time is good but a little hard as academics require a lot of work and there are many other social callings that you may be forced to miss out on due to soccer.
Hmmmmm, I wonder where he plays? [Confused]

#69844 06/22/06 06:52 PM
J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
I will vouch that Man U Fan has the street credz to speak..

..he just loves the Crouch.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard