Brian Diaz Named Converse Soccer Coach

June 2006

BRIAN DIAZ NAMED HEAD SOCCER COACH

SPARTANBURG, S.C. --- Converse College Athletic Director, Margaret Moore, has announced that Brian Diaz will be the head soccer coach. Diaz becomes the program’s fourth coach since it was reinstated in 1998. He will also serve as the sports information director for the All-Stars.

Diaz has been the assistant women’s soccer coach at Tusculum College for the last three years, where he has helped guide the Pioneers to a South Atlantic Conference Championship, two SAC Tournament titles and a pair of trips to the NCAA Tournament. During his tenure, Tusculum has posted an impressive 41-15-4 record, including 13-6-2 in league matches.

In 2006, the Pioneers posted a 12-6-2 overall record and finished ranked No. 18 in NCAA Division II while advancing to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in three years.

"I believe that this is an excellent opportunity for Brian, and he is very prepared to be a head coach," said Joy. "I also believe that he will be very successful and take that program to new heights. He has been an integral part of our program and understands all of the challenges that go with the coaching profession. I believe that Converse College is getting a quality person and coach, and he will be missed by all here at Tusculum College. I am very proud of him and will miss him a great deal."

The Tusculum graduate served as the assistant women’s soccer coach at East Tennessee State University prior to his post at his alma mater. ETSU qualified for the Southern Conference Tournament for the first time. “I am excited and look forward to the challenges ahead of me. I believe Converse College has a lot to offer its students and I feel that we can build a winning program.”

Diaz played for the Tusculum men's soccer team from 1999-2001, helping TC win the SAC Tournament Championship in 1999. A native of Boca Raton, Fla., Diaz graduated from TC in May 2002 with a degree in Sports Management and General Management.

Diaz holds an NSCAA Advanced National License.