Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70307 05/19/03 12:43 AM
Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
Maybe its just me. It seems a shame that any state championship is decided the way ours is. A PK shootout in the finals seems unjust to me. I think at that point we should consider declaring co-champions. Not sure, but I think Ga may do this. I am all for OT and golden goal OT. If the teams are still tied I think that should be it. Either that or keep playing. I can't think of another team sport that in case of a tie, takes 90% of the teams off the field and reduces it to 1 on 1. Hockey is an exception but they play another full period first.
Some may say it encourages teams to play for a tie. Ties have always been a part of soccer. And, if a team can hold a superior team to a tie for say 80 min of reg, 20 min of OT and 20 min of Golden Goal(I would advocate extending this), they deserve some credit.

Just my two cents worth

World Cup
World Cup
Wayne -

I'm all for ending the State Championships in a tie if the match is still tied after regulation, overtime, and the "golden goal" periods. We were discussing this over the weekend that it seems awfully unfair for teams to play an entire season and have nothing decided for them in the finals "on the field".

On another note, I'm all for scrapping the PK Shootouts during the regular season and using these only for playoff matches. At every level of soccer you have ties -- they're simply part of the structure of the game of soccer! I'm going to come up with a proposal for regular season games and such in the very near future (probably this weekend). Since Class 4A got rid of that silly point system, you won't see much difference, because the region season is what will seed you in the playoffs.

The NSCAA Soccer Poll does not even recognize PK Shootouts, that's why Irmo's record is 18-1-5 on their web site -- and I agree that's what it should be! What do others think? Please post in this thread!!!

World Cup
World Cup
How about a "Silver Goal" that UEFA uses in the Champions League and will be incorporated into the 2004 European Cup Championships in Portugal.

quote:
Champions League games that go into extra-time will be decided by the new "silver goal" format next season. Uefa is set to introduce the decider as a replacement for the current golden goal system.

Unlike the golden goal, which immediately concludes the match, the silver goal rule means the half of extra time in which a team scores will be played to a conclusion.

As with the current system, if the game is level at the end of extra time the outcome will be decided on penalties.

The decision to change the system was made at a two-day meeting of the European Club Forum, which represents over 102 clubs.

Uefa decided last year to change the golden goal system and hope the new-look will be a fairer way of settling games.

World Cup
World Cup
I say we scrap the PK Shootouts too! I'm all for ties and co-champions if the above stated overtimes are completed. So be it, if two teams are equal on the final day!

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard