Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wayne Offline OP
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
We are never going to please everyone. I know this. I also know that for the first time I was one of those displeased coaches. I wonder if the following would help the process:
Around mid-season we should post a "Watch List." This list should include any players that may be considered for All State or North/South and would be made available to coaches only. Then, armed with this list, a coach can keep an eye out for players he may coach against who are on the list. This would be especially handy during spring break when teams often play opponents who they would not normally see. Any coach could have a player from his or any other team recommended for the list. Maybe we don't post a player unless he is recommended by 2 or more coaches including his own.
Maybe this process would insure that players from other teams get a serious look from opponents because they saw them on the watch list. If a coach does not submit one of his players for the watch list he would have to rely on 2 other coaches submitting him. Otherwise, if he is not on the list too bad.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Wayne --

I agree completely and this was the original intent of the "Preliminary Meetings" that were so poorly attended in 2004 and 2005. We dumped those meetings due to only 8-10 coaches showing up at Stratford HS (South) and T.L. Hanna (North) those years.

I certainly believe that the selection process can be enhanced, but it takes commitment on the coaches part to get out and watch games (not just those that they compete in) and evaluate as many kids as possible.

I also like the idea of having to have coaches outside of the mandated "player's head coach" for additional endorsement.

However, I believe that schools should be limited to 3 nominations so that more diversity can exist in the selection process.

Moderated by  Kevin Heise, Kyle Heise 

Link Copied to Clipboard