Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Bluffton girls fall to Airport 4-1 in first round of Class 3-A playoffs -- Lady Bobcats get taste of state competition

BY JEFF KIDD, The Island Packet
Published Tuesday, May 3rd, 2005

The first truly crucial game of the season also turned out to be the last one for the Bluffton High School girls soccer team.

The Lady Bobcats, who walked unobstructed into the Class 3-A state playoffs because no other Region 8-AAA school fielded a girls soccer team, were eliminated Monday by a 4-1 loss to visiting Airport High School.

"When you never play against region teams, you never seem to get that sense of urgency," said Bluffton coach Erin Archer, whose team finished 8-7-1. "We played random teams most of the year, just kind of a mish-mash of teams, and that lack of experience probably hurt us."

No such problems for the Lady Eagles.

Airport finished fourth in Region 5-AAA, arguably the toughest in Class 3-A. Region champion Brookland-Cayce is ranked No. 1 in its classification, and Dreher and Chapin have spent most of the season in the top 10.

"That makes a big difference," said Airport coach Keith Morris, whose team takes a 16-7 record into the second round. "But you can tell Bluffton has a lot of heart. They played well."

They also played without one of their key offensive threats, Jessie George, who was lost to a torn ankle ligament in the Lady Bobcats' regular-season finale.

Without George in the lineup, Airport was on the attack most of the afternoon, but the Lady Bobcats sagged back on defense and held the Lady Eagles at bay through much of the first half.

But in the 26th minute, Airport's Heather Smith centered the ball from the left corner to teammate Hannah Wilson, who booted in a goal from 15 yards out.

"Still, just down 1-0, I felt like we still had a good chance," Archer said.

Unfortunately for Archer's squad, Airport tacked on a second goal during the first-half injury time on Casey Barlow's penalty kick. The score followed a rare delay-of-game penalty on Lady Bobcat keeper Samantha Britt, who took more than the allotted six seconds to punt away the ball after making a save.

"During the game, the momentum went back and forth, and the referee was part of that," said Britt, who was called again for a delay violation in the second half, although Airport didn't capitalize the second time around. "I'm not saying they won or lost the game for us, but it contributed to our attitude."

Bluffton cut the Lady Eagles' lead to 2-1 seven minutes into the second half, when Kaylee Cummings lofted a direct kick from just outside the right side of the box over the head of keeper Brittany Holcombe.

"I couldn't believe it," the freshman forward said. "I didn't think it was going in when I kicked it, but it turned out just perfect."

But when Wilson scored again, from a spot almost identical to her first goal, Archer saw the handwriting on the wall.

"It wasn't like we had shot after shot after shot," she said.

Indeed, the Lady Bobcats were out-shot 23-4 and squeezed off just one more shot after Cummings' score.

In the 68th minute, midfielder Lindsey Dangerfield capped the scoring with a 15-yard shot from the center of the field.

"It was a pretty good first year," Archer said. "We only have one senior and a bunch of girls who have never played (varsity) soccer before."

Nonetheless, the Lady Eagles will have to make soccer a full-time vocation if their next playoff appearance is to last more than one game, Archer said.

"The main thing I don't see here is the youth program developed the way it needs to be," Archer said, adding she hopes her varsity players participate in summer camps during the offseason.

Despite Monday's loss, at least one player seems motivated to do just that.

"At the beginning of the season, I wasn't even sure I wanted to play soccer," Cummings said. "I just wasn't sure how it would work out because we just had no experience.

"I'm glad I did though. I definitely made the right decision."

Britt, the team's lone senior, felt the same way.

"It was better than I expected," said Britt, who could have remained at Hilton Head High School this year, where she would have been a third-year starter. She chose not to because she liked Bluffton principal Aretha Rhone-Bush and the faculty she assembled at the newly opened school.

"All the girls were willing to learn and really grew together this season."

Easin' down the road -- Seahawks swamp Conway on home turf

BY RYAN O'CONNOR, The Island Packet
Published Tuesday, May 3rd, 2005

For the past week, Hilton Head High School boys soccer coach Jose Pumarejo has been drilling his team on setting, working the ball in, crossing the ball from the in lines and winning 50-50 balls.

The practice paid off Monday night in the first round of the Class 4-A state playoffs against Conway.

The Seahawks, one of four No. 1 seeds in the Lower State bracket, got four goals from sophomore Diego Zanandreas and two goals each from juniors Juan Chavarria and Nico Moreno to cruise to a 10-0 victory over the Tigers.

"They're moving the ball like they need to," Pumarejo said. "It's a good first game of the playoffs. They could do things they have been working on at practice."

Juniors Paul Vecchione and Justin Fox added goals for the Seahawks, who will host either Ridge View or West Ashley at 6 p.m. Thursday in the second round.

"The thing with this team is they came out punting the ball," Pumarejo said. "They just kicked it up the field. They had to start moving the ball."

Chavarria scored the first two goals for Hilton Head High, which led 5-0 at halftime. The Seahawks' offense continued in the second half as they scored three goals in a three-minute span.

The Seahawks (18-5-2) are looking to get back to the Lower State finals for the second straight year. But after a slow start to the season, it looked as if Hilton Head High would be fortunate to get out of the first round.

However, the Seahawks started to play better soccer down the stretch and tied Summerville for the Region 8-AAAA title.

"They have come a long ways," Pumarejo said. "Since the beginning of the season, they have come along ways. They started to come together as a team. Passing and moving the ball has come along tremendously."

Hilton Head High girls 6, Conway 0

Emily Delozier and Lauren Buonaiuto each scored two goals and had one assist to lead the Lady Seahawks past Conway and into the second round of the Class 4-A state playoffs.

Hilton Head High (12-5) will play either at Irmo or host Stratford in the second round at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

The Lady Seahawks, who finished second in Region 8-AAAA to earn a No. 2 seed in the state playoffs, had 45 shots on goal, but managed just one goal in the first half on Delozier's first of the game.

"We played uninspired and down to their level in the first half," said Hilton Head High coach Mike Parkey.

One reason for the Lady Seahawks inability to get the ball in the net was the play of Conway goalie, Ashley Monahan.

"I thought she did a good job," said Lady Tigers coach Rebecca Snider, whose team finished the season 7-7. "She moved around well and came up with some key saves, especially in the first half."

But Hilton Head High got its offense going in the second half, scoring three goals in a 15-minute span to blow the game open.

"Flood gates opened at that point," Parkey said. "We finished to the corner and didn't do that in the first half."

Parkey, however, said if his team played like they did Monday night, their season could end in the next round.

"I told them at halftime, if we come out like that in our next game, we're going home," he said. "We can't play like that. We need to be more intense, aggressive and focused. We missed all that in the first half."

Lara Caudy and Ashley Buonaiuto added goals for the Lady Seahawks. Adrienne Sist chipped in with an assist.

The Seahawks, one of four No. 1 seeds in the Lower State bracket, got four goals from sophomore Diego Zanandreas and two goals each from juniors Juan Chavarria and Nico Moreno to cruise to a 10-0 victory over the Tigers.

"They're moving the ball like they need to," Pumarejo said. "It's a good first game of the playoffs. They could do things they have been working on at practice."

Juniors Paul Vecchione and Justin Fox added goals for the Seahawks, who will host either Ridge View or West Ashley at 6 p.m. Thursday in the second round.

"The thing with this team is they came out punting the ball," Pumarejo said. "They just kicked it up the field. They had to start moving the ball."

Chavarria scored the first two goals for Hilton Head High, which led 5-0 at halftime. The Seahawks' offense continued in the second half as they scored three goals in a three-minute span.

The Seahawks (18-5-2) are looking to get back to the Lower State finals for the second straight year. But after a slow start to the season, it looked as if Hilton Head High would be fortunate to get out of the first round.

However, the Seahawks started to play better soccer down the stretch and tied Summerville for the Region 8-AAAA title.

"They have come a long ways," Pumarejo said. "Since the beginning of the season, they have come along ways. They started to come together as a team. Passing and moving the ball has come along tremendously."

Hilton Head High girls 6, Conway 0

Emily Delozier and Lauren Buonaiuto each scored two goals and had one assist to lead the Lady Seahawks past Conway and into the second round of the Class 4-A state playoffs.

Hilton Head High (12-5) will play either at Irmo or host Stratford in the second round at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

The Lady Seahawks, who finished second in Region 8-AAAA to earn a No. 2 seed in the state playoffs, had 45 shots on goal, but managed just one goal in the first half on Delozier's first of the game.

"We played uninspired and down to their level in the first half," said Hilton Head High coach Mike Parkey.

One reason for the Lady Seahawks inability to get the ball in the net was the play of Conway goalie, Ashley Monahan.

"I thought she did a good job," said Lady Tigers coach Rebecca Snider, whose team finished the season 7-7. "She moved around well and came up with some key saves, especially in the first half."

But Hilton Head High got its offense going in the second half, scoring three goals in a 15-minute span to blow the game open.

"Flood gates opened at that point," Parkey said. "We finished to the corner and didn't do that in the first half."

Parkey, however, said if his team played like they did Monday night, their season could end in the next round.

"I told them at halftime, if we come out like that in our next game, we're going home," he said. "We can't play like that. We need to be more intense, aggressive and focused. We missed all that in the first half."

Lara Caudy and Ashley Buonaiuto added goals for the Lady Seahawks. Adrienne Sist chipped in with an assist.

HHH, Bluffton open soccer playoffs -- Both schools' boys, girls squads get high seeds

BY RYAN O'CONNOR AND VICKI NEEDHAM, The Island Packet
Published Sunday, May 1st, 2005

With the flip of a coin, the Hilton Head High School boys soccer team landed a No. 1 seed in the Class 4-A state playoffs.

After the Seahawks' 5-0 victory over Beaufort, which moved their Region 8-AAAA record to 9-1, identical to its region nemesis, Summerville, Beaufort principal Dan Durbin flipped a coin to see which team would represent the region as the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds.

The coin bounced Hilton Head High's way and the Seahawks will host Conway at 7 p.m. Monday in the first round of the playoffs. The Lady Seahawks also start their playoffs, with the 5:30 p.m. game against Conway on Monday.

The Seahawks and Green Wave boys tied for the region championship, but both teams beat each other 2-0 during the regular season.

That forced a coin toss to determine seeding.

The Seahawks are in the bottom section of the Lower State bracket, arguably the weakest of the two. State powers Irmo, Wando and Summerville are all in the top half of the bracket.

Hilton Head High, ranked No. 6 in the state, would host a second-round game with a victory Monday. The Seahawks would play either Ridge View or West Ashley.

The Lady Seahawks, ranked No. 11 in the state, will likely be on the road at Irmo in the second round. However, if Stratford upsets Irmo, Hilton Head High would be at home Wednesday against the Lady Knights.

The Lady Seahawks finished second in the region behind Summerville.

The Bluffton High School boys and girls soccer teams kick of their first-ever Class 3-A state playoffs, beginning on Monday at home.

The Lady Bobcats, the Region 8-AAA champions, will face Airport at 6 p.m. Airport moved down from Class 4-A.

Airport's girls are ranked 10th in the state with a 15-7 record.

The boys squad, which also won the conference title, will play Airport at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

The Bobcats are 13-6-1 and are ranked No. 12 in Class 3-A after three straight wins to end their regular season. Bluffton outscored its opponents 26-2 during that span, beating Timberland in its final region contest, 15-0.

"I think we've done a much better job lately of finishing," said Bluffton coach John Woodring. "We'll have to do that against an Airport team with a great goalie and playoff experience."

Bluffton's players have limited experience in the playoffs but Woodring has been emphasizing that winning will take more than just talent.

"I keep telling them that it's one thing for us to have the ability to win," he said. "But most of all we have to want to win."

HHH girls share sport, friendship, high grades

BY VICKI NEEDHAM, The Island Packet
Published Friday, April 29th, 2005

Laura Kitashima had a goal -- to score 800 on the math portion of her SAT.

After three tries, the Hilton Head High School senior soccer player hit the mark.

"It was within reach, I wanted to get it," said the soft-spoken Kitashima, who missed two questions the first time and one the second before getting a perfect score.

Kitashima's persistence is indicative of the academic prowess on the Lady Seahawks' girls soccer team. While they aren't competitive with each other, put their grades and SAT scores up against any other team and they'll probably come out on top.

Kitashima, this year's valedictorian, is surrounded by teammates who excel in the classroom. It's not unusual among the Lady Seahawks' seven seniors to see straight A's or high SAT scores.

As a group, the seniors boast a combined 4.4 GPA and nearly all take advanced placement classes. Besides Kitashima, three other Lady Seahawks are in the top 10 of their class -- Glenn Love is No. 4, Jen Hergenroeder is seventh and Lizzie Hubbard is eighth. Lara Caudy, who plans to attend Furman University, is No. 15.

But they are more than good students -- they are friends who have shared countless school bus rides to games working together on homework assignments or studying for tests.

With the exception of Ashley Buonaiuto, who moved to Hilton Head Island just before her freshman year, all of the team's seniors have played soccer together and been in the same classes since sixth grade.

"We're really the best of friends, and we can call each other any time, especially when we feel like we just can't deal with something," Hergenroeder said. "We all have classes together, so it's good to talk to someone who knows exactly what you're going through. We're really supportive of each other."

Despite their closeness, Kitashima, who plans to study biomedical engineering at Georgia Tech, neglected to tell her teammates that she was taking the standardized test for a third time.

"Laura's pretty modest," said teammate Charlotte Carroll, who ranks 14th in the Class of 2005.

Pressed to choose between an 800 on the SAT's math section or a 790 and a season sweep of Region 8-AAAA rival Summerville, Kitashima balked -- she said she would probably take the SAT a fourth time.

"She's an overachiever," Carroll chimed in.

With their college choices locked in, the Lady Seahawk seniors hope to overachieve on the field, too. They open the Class 4-A state playoffs at 5:30 p.m. Monday in a home game against Conway. Though unable to defend their region title -- losses to Summerville and Fort Dorchester relegated them to a second-place finish -- the Lady Seahawks look forward to a lengthy foray into the postseason.

"We're really going to need to step it up for the playoffs," Carroll said. "We've got to make up for not winning the region."

But they will have to do so without Carroll and Hubbard, each of whom are out for season after suffering ACL tears. (Although Hubbard will miss the end of her senior season, she will continue her soccer career at Georgia Southern University in nearby Statesboro, Ga.)

Buonaiuto, who attended the Heritage Academy last year before transferring back to Hilton Head High, is headed to Spartanburg Methodist to play soccer.

"I loved it up there," she said. "They had a nice coach and players and they made me feel wanted."

The other five intend to play club or intramural soccer in college.

"I don't know what my life would be like without soccer," Hergenroeder said.

In fact, all seven credit soccer for bringing a sense of discipline and structure into their academic lives.

At the same time, the sport gave them a chance to leave biology and physics in the classroom.

"We probably all stay up until midnight studying but playing soccer is relaxing and fun and it's a place where we don't have to think about school," Hergenroeder said.

With the soccer season and their school year winding down, the seven know they'll miss each other but they are eager to graduate and see what the world has to offer.

"I'm excited about all of the new people and opportunities," Caudy said.

Hubbard, who wants to major in psychology, is ready to ditch classes like history for subjects she prefers, and Carroll wants to be able to walk down a street in Clemson and not have anyone know about her torn ACL.

"I'm ready to meet new people and branch out," said Hergenroeder, who will attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

With their minds on the playoffs and their graduations on the horizon, the seven would love to have a miracle run through the state tournament but are content with what they achieved.

"Looking at the people sitting here and considering the other people in our class, I'd say there's a lot of character and class," Love said. "We're going to go out into the world and we're going to be ready for it. We'll do well, we'll be all right."

Playoffs continue for area teams
By TRAVIS BOLAND, T&D Sports Writer

The South Carolina High School League playoffs continue tonight when most of the T&D Region teams will take the field in search of a state championship.

The Edisto Cougar boy's team will open today with a familiar opponent, as their first round game will take place in Petticoat Junction against the Silver Bluff Bulldogs.

The Cougar's defeated Silver Bluff 5-2 in Cordova early in the season, but fell on the road by the same score later in the year.

"We're excited about being in the playoffs, we took a dive near the end, but we are ready for the playoffs," Edisto head coach Andy Palmer said. "We have been down the past couple of years, and we feel like we're back on the right track."

Palmer is excited about about playing an opponent that they have seen before.

"It's better for us to be playing an opponent that we have already seen," Palmer said. "Instead of drawing a team that we haven't seen before and not knowing anything about them, we have an advantage to know what this team is going to do."

Edisto slipped out of the Class 2-A rankings late in the season, after being ranked as high as number seven early in the season. Barnwell is currently ranked number 10 in Class 2-A and will have a first round bye. The War Horses will travel to take on Wade Hampton Thursday, May 5. Swansea, unranked, will travel to take on Saluda in the other Class 2-A game.

In Class A two T&D Region teams are currently ranked in the Top 10 and will host their first round games. Blackville-Hilda, ranked number eight, will play host to Lincoln High School today while Bamberg-Ehrhardt, ranked number 10, will face off against T&D Region school, Branchville. Williston-Elko will have to travel to face the Governor's School.

In the Class 2-A/A girl's playoffs the Barnwell Lady War Horses, currently ranked number nine in Class 2-A, will play host to Hanahan.

SCHSL SOCCER PLAYOFF SCHEDULE
Class 2-A/A Girls
Hanahan at Barnwell (May 4)
Class A Boys
Lincoln at Blackville-Hilda (May 3)
Branchville at Bamberg-Ehrhardt (May 3)
Williston-Elko at Governor's School (May 3)
Class 2-A Boys
Swansea at Saluda (May 3)
Edisto at Silver Bluff (May 3)
Barnwell at Wade Hampton (May 5)

Dorman knocks off Lexington in soccer playoffs
From staff reports,

Nathalie Emplit's 18-yard blast with 64 minutes played broke a 2-2 tie and propelled Dorman to a 3-2 upset at Lexington in the first round of the 4A girls soccer playoffs Monday evening.

It was Emplit's second goal of the game.

Dorman, a No. 4 seed, led 2-1 at the half, thanks to goals from Emplit and Alex Zongrone.

"This was a big win for us and should give us a lot of confidence in our next match," said Dorman coach Josef Lorenz.

Lorenz noted that despite being young his team was peaking at the right time.

Dorman (11-10-1) advances to face T.L. Hanna in Anderson on Wednesday.

Lexington, a No. 1 seed, entered the game ranked seventh in the state.

Byrnes 5 North Augusta 1: Liz Kinney scored twice to lead Byrnes over North Augusta (3-9) in first-round action.

Alecia Nederostek, Kristen O'Shields and Garrett Patton also scored for the Lady Rebels.

Byrnes (14-8) will play Wednesday at Fort Mill.

South Aiken 2, Spartanburg 1: South Aiken scored twice in the final nine minutes to eek out a win over Spartanburg (12-10).

Emily Clements gave the Lady Vikings a 1-0 halftime off an Anne Breeden assist.

Meredith Chevier scored the game-winner for South Aiken.

3A -- A.C. Flora 8, Union 0: Union's season ended with a shutout loss on the road.

2A -- Ninety Six 7 Chapman 0: Kristi Cameron scored three goals and added two assists as Ninety Six eliminated Chapman (5-6). Chapman's Jessica Harris recorded seven saves but it was not enough.

Hanna routs York in first round of Upper State playoffs

By Lee Boggs, Special to the Anderson Independent-Mail
May 2, 2005

Despite slamming into a goalpost then icing a bruised hip for 20 minutes, Hanna’s Caitlin Robinson re-entered the game against York Monday, turned a hat trick and helped lead the Lady Yellow Jackets to an 8-0, first-round Upper-State playoff win.

The freshman forward was taking a shot at the corner of the goal halfway in the first half when York goalie Brittany Clark earned one of her 28 saves.

"I was crashing the goal and the keeper came out and she took my legs out from under me," Robinson said. "I just, like, nailed my hip on the post. I just have a bruise on my hip, but after I walked it off, it was pretty much fine."

Robinson iced the bruise until after halftime, but then re-entered the game and scored a goal off sophomore midfielder Vanessa Adams’ assist with just 40 seconds ticked off the second half clock.

"Caitlin is fantastic," coach Michael Young said. "She’s got some things she’s going to work on, but right now, she’s the best player in the region. She’s going to be something special for years to come."

Robinson began the show for Hanna with a goal at the 36:30 mark in the first half from a Megan Witcher assist. She earned a hat trick with her third goal, a solo shot to the left corner of the net, in the middle of the second half.

The win is the Lady Yellow Jackets’ first in a home playoff game in five years, Young said. They’re now 17-4 overall and will play host to Dorman, who beat Lexington on Monday, in the second round. Hanna lost to Lexington 3-0 in the first round in 2004.

The Lady Yellow Jackets, who were Region 1-AAAA runners-up, have a combined two-year record of 31-9. They were 17-25-1 in the previous two years. Senior forward Maranda Adams played on all four of those squads and has been a contributor to the Lady Yellow Jackets turnaround, Young said.

"She’s one of those players you wish you had 15 more of," he said. "We’ll miss her very much when she goes."

Like Robinson, Adams, a three-time All-Region pick and 2005 North-South All-Star selection, had a hat trick. She scored Hanna’s third goal in the first half, and last two in the second.

On Adams’ first goal, York attempted to stop Hanna’s offensive drive by kicking it out of bounds. But sophomore forward Mary Holahan kicked it to the penalty area, Robinson deflected it and Adams got the score.

Adams’ two second half goals came with less than three minutes remaining.

"We beat them on their offside trap," Adams said. "They tried to pull us out, but I think we did a good job playing off the back. We were composed and did a good job."

Hanna – 4 4 – 8
York – 0 0 – 0
Goals
H – Robinson (3), Holahan, M. Adams (3), V. Adams.
Assists
H – Witcher, Davis, Holahan, V. Adams.
Saves
H – 2; Y – 28
Corner Kicks
H – 12; Y - 0

Wilson, South have changed local soccer landscape
By LUKE REASONER, Morning News
Tuesday, May 3, 2005

FLORENCE - There were some slight changes in who rules high school boys soccer in Florence this year. It has been 16 years since South Florence claimed a region title.

Last Tuesday, the Bruins ended that drought following a 4-0 win over Marlboro County, which sealed the Region 6-4A title and a No. 1 seed for the playoffs.

But not to be outdone, Wilson, under the direction of first-year coach Jamie Harloff, enjoyed its winningest season in school history and claimed the Region 6-3A title with a 15-5 overall and 7-1 region record.

South Florence and Wilson are just two of five Pee Dee boys soccer teams that begin their quest today toward Eugene E. Stone III Stadium and a chance at playing for a state championship.

Wilson, which hosts Carolina Forest at 6:30 p.m., claimed a region title for just the second time in school history.

“It’s great,” Harloff said. “To come over here with this group of kids, who don’t complain about anything, it makes you feel good knowing the support that you have.”

Despite the outstanding season, the youthful Tigers exceeded even their coach’s expectations.

“Having two seniors and having such a young group, that I haven’t coached before, the expectations at the beginning were not as high,” Harloff said. “Winning the region, none the less winning 15 games was great. Especially when our first two scrimmages, we were outscored 13-0.”

Senior forward Lee Johnson and midfielder August Langley had a lot to do with the Tigers’ turnaround.

“Those two seniors and a few others with experience showed the importance of working hard in practice day in and day out,” Harloff said. “They now have that experience of winning, and they are working hard to continue to win.”

Wilson lost 5-0 to Carolina Forest on Feb. 19.

“It should be interesting to see what progress we have made (today),” said Harloff. “This game will tell us a lot about how we have grown as a team and as individuals.

“In order for us to be successful, all of that has got to come together.”

The Bruins (16-3 overall and 9-1 Region 6-4A) host Fort Dorchester at 7 p.m.

“I think we should be able to make a pretty strong run in the playoffs,” South Florence coach Todd Moore said. “I like our chances in the first round.”

The Bruins enter the postseason riding a six-game win streak, which is highlighted by a 1-0 victory over West Florence two weeks ago. That loss snapped the Knights’ six-game win streak.

“We need to play with 100 percent effort,” Moore said. “We have really picked that up in the last three or four games here - especially the West Florence game. We have been working really hard and I hope that carries over to the playoffs.”

South Florence goalkeeper Jeremy Crooks, who signed to play at Francis Marion next year, recorded nine shutouts and 124 saves this season.

Crooks was named the most dedicated player at the Bruins’ awards banquet.

“He has been outstanding,” Moore said. “He is very reliable, consistent and has a great attitude about the game.”

Senior midfielder Stephen Grantham leads the Bruins with 25 goals and 11 assists. Justin Bramblett has 20 goals and nine assists.

On the other side of town, West Florence (13-10, 8-2) hosts Beaufort today in its first-round playoff game at 6 p.m.

“I expect us to come out and play well,” West Florence coach Billy Andrews said. “We need to just play and not worry about the officials.”

Andrews, in his 28th season as coach, has led the Knights to 11 region titles.

“This group of guys are very special,” said Andrews, who recently won his 400th career match. “They want to win and they hate to lose.”

With the success of South and Wilson, Andrews is hoping the sport will gain more attention in the Pee Dee.

“It should make people more aware of soccer,” he said. “Hopefully more kids will hear about soccer, which means more kids coming out. This success is good for the sport.”

In other boys soccer playoff action, Marion travels to Myrtle Beach and the Governor’s School hosts Williston-Elko.

GIRLS SOCCER

Trinity Collegiate 9, Newberry Academy 0
DARLINGTON - Rebecca Leviner recorded a hat trick to lead Trinity Collegiate to a 9-0 shutout of Newberry Academy.
Mary Lawton led Trinity with three assists.
GOALS - TC: Rebecca Leviner (3), Alyssa Pignone (2), Kristen Morin (2), Martha Anne DeBerry, Nicole Wetternek.
ASSISTS - TC: Mary Lawton (3), Robbi Cauthen (2), Whitney O’Kelly, Leviner, Katherine Adams.
KEEPER SAVES - TC: Katherine Adams (0), Caroline Jones (0).
RECORD: TC 8-3.

BOYS SOCCER
The King’s Academy 3, Covenant Christian 2
COLUMBIA - Austin Crane, Matthew McCabe, and Michael Moore each scored a goal for The King’s Academy to secure a 3-2 win over Covenant Christian and first place in the region.
Brad Turner had seven keeper saves for the Lions.
GOALS - TKA: Austin Crane, Matthew McCabe, Michael Moore.
ASSISTS - TKA: Patrick McCabe, M. McCabe, Ben White.
KEEPER SAVES - TKA: Brad Turner (7).
RECORD: TKA 7-2, 7-1.
NEXT GAME: TKA will play at Wilson Hall today at 7 p.m.

Trojan soccer coach learning on the fly
Bob Castello, Greenville News

Fortunately for Carolina High boys soccer coach John Larkin, his players had a lot more experience in the sport than he had.

Carolina (7-2) hadn't had a soccer program in four years, but the Trojans managed to win the Appalachian AA Region. They begin play in the Class AA playoffs against West-Oak at home at 7 tonight.

"Several of our students had played club soccer before for various groups and organizations, so they've had some experience, even though the school hadn't had a team," Larkin said.

Larkin, a science teacher at the school, had played a little bit of rec soccer. Other than that, he learned on the fly.

"I rely on an assistant coach and some other people I know to give me a lot of information," Larkin said. "I also checked out books from Furman Public Library and the Greenville Public Library, and basically coached from books. I also listened to players saying, 'This drill will work. Why don't we try to do this during practice?' "

The methods may sound primitive, but they must have worked. Carolina lost two of its first three games, sandwiched around a non-region victory against Southside.

Because the Trojans' first two losses came in the region, they had to rally. They did, winning their final six matches and the region title.

"About the second or third game we found a lineup that worked pretty well and developed a pretty good chemistry," Larkin said.

Not only have the Trojans fared well this year, they've done so without any seniors. Miguel Rodriguez, the leading goal scorer, is a junior. The captains are junior defender Juan Gonzalez, sophomore goalkeeper Marco Fuentes and sophomore forward Jaime Orhendo.

"We're all surprised by how well it's gone this year," Larkin said.

GIRLS SOCCER

Eastside 10, Chester 0
Goals: Bielby 2, Jenkins, Woodbury, Martin 2, Jensen, Rice 2, Ruck. Assists—Roberts, Wessel, Ruck. Shutout—Rankin, Hayes. Records: Eastside 18-5, Chester 9-7.

Greenville 10, Seneca 0
Goals: Tollison 2, T. Conett 2, Smith, Halter, Staford, O'Neil, Dubis, Madre. Assists — Scovel 2, T. Conett 2, C. Conett, Bomen, Smith, Jamison. Shutout — Madre, Sobeck. Records: Greenville 17-3.

Wade Hampton 7, Pickens 0
Goals — WH: Alberti, Robertson 3, Hudek, Scott, Haselden. Assists — WH: Robertson, Ables. Shutout — Norris. Record: Wade Hampton 14-4, 7-3.

Mauldin 5, Aiken 1
Goals—Hirt (M), Lentz (M), Webb (M) 3, Few (A). Assists—Brennan (M), Webb (M). Record: Mauldin 20-1-1.

Cameron’s offense sparks Lady ’Cats
By BRIAN HOWARD, Assistant sports editor

May 3, 2005

NINETY SIX — Kristi Cameron scored three goals and added two assists to lift the Ninety Six High School girls soccer team to a 7-0 victory over Chapman at Wilson-Campbell Stadium Monday in the opening round of the Class AA/A playoffs.
The Lady Wildcats (9-4) advanced to Wednesday’s second round at Woodruff.

“I know they (Woodruff) have two or three up front that are pretty good,” Ninety Six coach Brian Neal said. “We’ve got to try to slow their offense down a bit and see if we can get something generated on the other side.”

Ninety Six wasted little time getting its first goal, scoring in the third minute. Cameron received a give-and-go pass from Kaitlin Rexrode about 25 yards out shot past Chapman keeper Jessica Harris and into the right top corner for the 1-0 lead.

“We practice that a lot, taking those outside shots,” Cameron said. “You never come out expecting to score that many goals.”
Eleven minutes later, Cameron assisted on the Lady Wildcats’ second goal, playing a ball into the middle of the penalty area, as Rexrode tapped in for a 2-0 advantage.

Ashley Williams gave the Lady Wildcats a 3-0 lead with two minutes remaining in the first half, scoring off a turnover.

“We got a little flustered (in the first half) with some calls and with the physical play, and we just needed to get back to doing what we do,” Neal said.

Cameron got her second goal in the 55th minute, from a cross by Williams, giving Ninety Six a 4-0 lead. Rexrode had the Lady Wildcats’ fifth goal from an assist by Cameron in the 65th minute, and two minutes later Nicole Moon gave Ninety Six a 6-0 lead, scoring on a penalty kick.

Cameron got her third goal in the 75th minute on a corner kick that went past Harris. Harris finished with seven saves for the Lady Panthers (5-6), while Samantha Stewart had one for Ninety Six.

Spending time at home -- Six area soccer teams will play host to first-round games
By RON COX, Index-Journal sports writer

May 2, 2005

Many of the high school soccer fans in Greenwood and the Lakelands area won’t have to go very far to cheer on their team in the opening round of the state playoffs.

Six of the seven area soccer teams that qualified for postseason play will spend its first game at home, leaving the Greenwood girls as the only Lakelands team to travel for its first game. The Lady Eagles, the third-place team from Region I-AAAA, will play at 6:30 p.m. today against Northwestern.

The Greenwood boys, one of four area teams to win region championships, along with both Emerald squads and the Dixie boys team, plays host to York 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The Saluda and Dixie boys will join the Eagles in action Tuesday. The Tigers, with the No. 5 seed in Class AA Upper State, will have Swansea in town for a 5:30 p.m. match, while the Hornets, the Class A Upper State No. 3 seed, will face Landrum 6 Tuesday night.

The Ninety Six girls are the only Lakelands team playing at home today, as Lady Wildcats, the AA No. 7 seed, plays host 5:30 p.m. to Chapman.
The defending Class AA state champion Emerald boys team and the Lady Vikings both earned first-round byes and won’t play until Thursday and Wednesday, respectively.

The Lady Vikings, who earned the No. 3 seed in the AA Upper State, will await the winner between Gilbert and Walhalla, while the Upper State top-seeded Vikings will see the Woodruff-Broome winner.

The Vikings lost seven seniors off their state championship team from a year ago, including the school’s all-time career goal-scorer, A.C. Cogburn, and key playmaker Brock Scott.

But adding to their adversity was early-season injuries to all-state senior goalkeeper C.K. Kirkland and forward Demetrick Cooper.

But the Vikings worked through the adversity and spent much of the season ranked either first or second in Class AA.

“When you lose seven seniors even if it’s off a state championship team, you could think that it would be a re-building year, but these guys have really done well,” Emerald coach Brad Nickles said. “But we’ve had some young kids really step up and play well for us.”

Junior Jim Welborn leads the team with 28 goals, while freshman Josh Taylor, son of Lander University’s soccer coach Van Taylor, chipped in 17. But Nickles said the key to his team’s success has been its defense, with the return of senior defenders Christopher Tommie and Andrew Pillman, and most importantly backup keeper Josh Dean.
“You can have the best defense in the world in front of you, but you can still give up a ton of goals without the right keeper,” Nickles said. “Josh has been perhaps the brightest spot for us this season. C.K.’s back, but he’s got to earn the spot back. Right now, Josh is the man until C.K. proves otherwise.”

The Eagles finished second in Region I-AAAA last year, but were awarded the No. 1 seed in the playoffs because of the South Carolina High School league declared Hillcrest ineligible because of a violation.

This year, behind the play of eight seniors, Greenwood claimed that No. 1 seed on its own by going undefeated in region play in Jamie McClendon’s first year as the boys coach.
In fact, the AAAA No. 7 Eagles are currently enjoying a 17-game winning streak. The team suffered its last defeat way back on Feb. 25 in a 4-3 loss to No. 5 Fort Mill in their first game of the season.

“We may not have any standouts, but it’s really been something where everybody’s just pulled together to win,” Greenwood coach Jamie McClendon said. “We don’t really have any weak spots on the field. Everybody is steady and consistent and they all like playing for each other.”

Senior Tyler Davis leads the Eagles with 19 goals and 13 assists, while fellow seniors Alex Bollinger and Jay Bishop have brought in 13 and 12 goals, respectively. Senior keeper Ben Shirley has a goals-against average of 0.5 for Greenwood, which has only surrendered 11 goals in 18 games.
The Lady Vikings were less than pleased with their No. 3 seeding in the Upper State, the team’s worst placement in three years. Emerald, which won the Region III-AA title, only suffered three losses on the year, falling to AAAA Greenwood and Upper State top-seeded Christ Church and No. 2 Woodruff.
But the Lady Vikings also avenged all three of those losses with wins over each of those three teams.

“We were seeded third and we’re slightly perturbed about that, but understanding the criteria for seeding, we understand,” Lady Vikings coach Paul Dodd said. “It does make things a little more difficult. But ultimately, we’ll have to play those teams if we want to reach our goal of making the state title game.”

The pair of sister acts have been key for the Lady Vikings’ run this season. Junior Kasie Sears and freshman sister Kayla led Emerald in scoring, with 37 and 16 goals, respectively. Junior Erica Bishop provided 11 goals and eight assists, while sister Alex, a freshman, has nine goals and 15 assists.

Fort Mill blanks Easley
By Michael O'Brien Herald Correspondent

Published May 3‚ 2005

FORT MILL -- The Fort Mill Lady Yellow Jackets began their quest for a State soccer championship on Monday night by dispatching overmatched Easley 8-0 in the first round of the Class AAAA playoffs.

Fort Mill, ranked No. 1 in Class AAAA, was never challenged, although for the first five minutes, the visiting Green Wave looked prepared to give them a game. As the two teams settled in, however, Easley barely crossed midfield.

"They (the girls) took this game for granted a little bit to start," Fort Mill coach Jim Finnerty said. "Hopefully we learned from that."

The Lady Yellow Jackets may have taken their opponent lightly to begin with but as the game progressed Fort Mill forced the play into the Green Wave side and poured on the pressure.

Just eight minutes in, Fort Mill's Jennifer ****len would register the first of her three assists on the night as she received a throw in along the sideline. She made a nice touch to turn her defender around and clear enough space to fire the ball into the Easley box, where Erica Mayhall got a head on it and sent it to the back post for a 1-0 lead.

Finding space on the sideline would be a running theme on the night for the Lady Yellow Jackets as Easley allowed space along the sides for the wings to operate and funnel the ball into the middle.

"Some teams like to try and pack the box against us and try to keep us from shooting inside," Finnerty said. "But we will take the space down the flanks and send numbers crashing in the box."

Fort Mill doubled its lead in the 20th minute when Melanie Blaschke found Nicole Bainbridge on an overlapping run down the right sideline that sprung her for a one-on-one with Green Wave keeper Haleigh Smith.

Bainbridge shot right at the charging Smith and the ball found space between her legs and into the open net behind her.

Bainbridge found the net 13 minutes later, this one after getting a ball in deep from Rachel Datz.

After receiving the pass, Bainbridge cut back to beat her defender and then chipped the ball over the Smith, who was barreling down on her and Fort Mill lead 3-0.

The Lady Yellow Jackets closed out the first half scoring when Bainbridge centered a perfect cross right to the hard charging Ashleigh Sheets, who, with a flick of the head, left Smith flat footed and the Lady Yellow Jackets with a comfortable 4-0 cushion.

"Sheets is a killer on 50-50 balls, one of the strongest we got," Finnerty said. "Anything in the air, she is going to go get it."

While the Fort Mill offense was finding its groove, the defense was standing strong.

Fort Mill won virtually every loose ball and didn't allow the Easley players even the slightest bit of space to operate thus forcing them to try and dump the ball long when they had the ball long enough to do something with it. Easley managed just three shots on net, with not one coming from inside 30-yards.

"Our backs do well to play like that on defense," Finnerty said. "We don't want to allow the other team any space."

The second half was a virtual carbon copy of the first as the break didn't slow down the Fort Mill attack and didn't breathe any new life into the Green Wave.

Fort Mill will return the field in the second round against the winner of North Augusta and Byrnes with kick-off slated for 6:30 Wednesday night at Fort Mill.

Area hosts postseason soccer matches this week
By Barry Byers The Herald

Published May 2‚ 2005

York County is home to the top two Class AAAA soccer teams in the state, and both start the playoffs at home this week.

Tonight at 6:30, the top-ranked girls from Fort Mill host Easley. The Lady Yellow Jackets begin the postseason in search of the state championship that slipped from their grasp last season with a 1-0 loss to Mauldin in the Upper State championship game.

Northwestern's boys, who lost to Irmo in the past two state championship games, returned to the No. 1 spot last week. The Trojans had dropped to second after losing in the finals of their own tournament to Class AAA power Eastside.

Northwestern hosts Easley's boys Tuesday night at 7.

Trojans take Jackets to overtime to win 1-0 in soccer
By Staff Reports The Herald

Published April 28‚ 2005

The Northwestern Trojans defeated the Fort Mill Yellow Jackets in a hard-fought game that ended 1-0 in overtime.

"We knew Northwestern was going to be a good team and we felt that if we got healthy and stayed healthy, we could play with anyone," Fort Mill head coach Denny Saverance said. "We played right down to the end in overtime. We're very proud of our players; both teams played well."

The Trojans are now the Region 3-AAAA champions, as well as the No. 1 seed in the Upper State.

Northwestern will host Easley on Tuesday, May 3, in the first round of playoffs.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
End of the road -- Airport eliminates Bobcats in soccer playoffs
BY VICKI NEEDHAM, The Island Packet
Published Wednesday, May 4th, 2005

The Bluffton High School boys soccer team never quite settled into their fast-paced, quick-shot game on Tuesday.

In their first-ever postseason contest, the Bobcats lost 2-0 to Airport in the first round of the Class 3-A state playoffs.

"I'm disappointed, but for a first-year team we might have set a record for how well we did," said Bluffton coach John Woodring. "I think we had one of the best first years that any new school has ever had."

The Bobcats reached No. 12 in the Class 3-A state rankings this season, pummeling their conference competition along the way. In their final two region games of the season, the Bobcats outscored Timberland and North Charleston by a combined score of 23-2.

But they struggled on Tuesday night to punch the ball in for a score.

"I think they tried too hard. I think when Airport got that one goal they got panicky," Woodring said. "It's going to take time. We've done well."

On the other hand, the fourth-seeded Airport came out of Region 5-AAA, one of the state's toughest regions with Brookland-Cayce, ranked third in the state, and Chapin and Dreher ranked 10th and 11th respectively.

For Airport coach Matt Hornsby, a 3-5 conference record didn't accurately reflect how well the Eagles played this season, but their schedule did get them ready for the playoffs.

"Playing in that region prepared us well," he said. "We'll have a tough match with Socastee and they probably won't expect the game they're going to get."

But Airport, which dropped down to Class 3-A this year, came into the game ready to show just how much they'd improved since their foray into the 4-A playoffs last year, when they lost to Hilton Head High School.

"It's a load off of our shoulders," Hornsby said. "A lot of people didn't expect us to win tonight but we've played good soccer all year."

Bluffton controlled the sluggish flow in the scoreless first half and couldn't come away with a goal to show for it. Woodring emphasized to his Bobcats that they play two-touch soccer and work the ball inside-out, using the wings to try to slip a score past Airport keeper Bryson Summers.

"We just didn't do that tonight," Woodring said. "When you get up against a tough team you have to connect whenever you have an opportunity and we didn't."

Throughout the game, with Bluffton forward Diego Miranda double- and triple-teamed, those chances flew over and wide of the goal.

"We really just needed someone else to step up tonight," Woodring said. "We knew Diego would be heavily covered. We wanted Diego to be a distraction to confuse the keeper but we just couldn't get the shots we needed."

So, the first-year Bluffton head coach did what he felt necessary after the game, he took the weight of the loss, crediting his young team for getting this far.

"It's obvious I didn't get them prepared well enough for this game," he said. "I take the responsibility for the loss, I should've done more."

After battling to a stalemate in the first half, Airport (16-6) scored 49 seconds into the second on a sideline throw-in by Jarrett Epperson that bounced around in the box before Cody Crocker popped it in for what amounted to the decisive goal.

The Eagles scored for the second time at 68:13 into the game on a kick into the box from the right wing that was headed in by Daniel Steele.

Still, Bluffton continued to charged down the field but the Bobcats just couldn't get back a goal to put any pressure on Airport.

While the Bobcats matched up well with an aggressive and fast Eagles squad, for Woodring there was a little more involved than just sheer talent.

"I had told them that it was a question of who wants it more," he said. "I knew Airport was going to come in really wanting to win and that was the big concern because my guys lacked playoff experience. But we'll be ready next year."

Bamberg-Ehrhardt moves on to second round of playoffs
By TRAVIS BOLAND, T&D Sports Writer

BAMBERG — "Boomer Ball" won out again Tuesday for the Bamberg-Ehrhardt soccer team. Coined by Red Raiders' head coach Dan Reynolds, "Boomer Ball" describes how his team kicks the ball down field and uses their speed to beat opponents to the ball.

For the third time this season, Branchville got an unhealthy sample of "Boomer Ball", this time getting shut out 3-0 in the first round of the Class A soccer playoffs.

"We don't have a lot of skill players, and a lot of people think we look like a recreation league team, but it works," Reynolds said. "A lot of our kids are busy with other sports at the beginning of the season, so we don't get a chance to practice set plays. We just have to use our athleticism to out play opponents."

So far it has worked for the Red Raiders, who have compiled an 11-4 record and are ranked 10th in the latest Class A poll. They used their pressure offense to out shoot and outscore Branchville Tuesday night.

B-E did all of their scoring in the first half, keeping the pressure on Yellow Jacket goalie Eric Young, who rose to the challenge for most of the evening.

The Red Raiders broke through late in the first half after Branchville was unable to clear a shot deep in their own territory. Jamar Johnson gathered in a ball in the goalie box and kicked a shot past Young to give the Red Raiders a 1-0 lead.

It looked as if the Yellow Jackets would tie the score when Chaz Williams flicked a pass down the center of the field deep into Red Raider territory. The Yellow Jackets had a player streaking down the middle of the field and was there to head the ball past Red Raider goalie Stephane Wheeler.

However, the goal was nullified as the referee called offside on the Yellow Jackets and the score remained 1-0.

"It was a mental error by a good kid," Branchville head coach Craig Porter said. "If we get that goal, then we're tied at one. But we didn't and they took advantage."

B-E took advantage of the momentum swing quickly by adding two goals before the half.

The Red Raiders scored their second goal after a long pass found its way in front of the Branchville goal. Donald Akin skied for the ball and headed it past Young for the second score of the game.

Minutes later, the Red Raiders threw the ball in from about 30 yards out and the ball once again found its way to the front of the Yellow Jacket goal. Top high school football prospect Reggie Sapp was there to pound the ball into the back of the net to give the Red Raiders a 3-0 lead.

The second half would be much of the same as the Red Raiders continued to pour the pressure on, but did not add another goal. The Yellow Jackets only had a few opportunities to net any goals, having to play most of their team back on defense.

"Offense has been one of our weak areas this year," Porter said. "With our skill level, we have to rely a lot on defense. We didn't react to the ball well late in the first half when they scored their goals. During the last four minutes of the game, we tried to put some pressure on them. We played this team twice earlier in the season and lost 7-1 and 4-1. This was the closest we have played them in a long time, and I'm proud of our team."

Defensively, for the Yellow Jackets, Eric Byrd had five steals and five interceptions. Ricky Wolfe had five interceptions; Walters had five steals, and Eric Young notched 33 saves in the contest.

Branchville was making its first-ever appearance in the state soccer playoffs.

"We played well in the first half, but their defense frustrated us in the second half," Reynolds said. "Their defense played back on us, and that's probably the best way to combat our style of offense. Wade Hampton gave us fits earlier in the season because they play back and pass really well."

The Red Raiders will be back in action Thursday when they travel to face the winner of the Williston-Elko/Governor's School matchup.

Ben Lippen wins defensive struggle
By STEVE ARGERIS, The State

The Cardinal Newman boys soccer team had not given up a goal in more than six weeks, answering every challenge their SCISA foes had to offer.

But Ben Lippen’s players never thought the Cardinals were invincible and proved their case on Monday night, beating host Cardinal Newman 1-0.

“This is big,” said defender Mark Pepin, who scored the game’s lone goal midway through the second half. “This proves they can be beaten.”

Cardinal Newman (12-4-1, 8-1 SCISA) had outscored opponents 25-0 during its previous eight games and has given up goals in four games this season — each a loss.

Monday’s margin of victory was characteristically slim for games between Cardinal Newman and Ben Lippen. Their previous meeting on April 15 ended in sudden-death penalty kicks after regulation, overtime and regular penalty kicks were insufficient to find a victor.

“We feel like we have a great team, and they have a great team; I really like what Walt (Dunbaker, the Ben Lippen coach) does with their guys,” Cardinal Newman coach John Boulware said. “We did everything well tonight except score. We defended. We created chances. We just couldn’t get the ball in the goal.”

Ben Lippen (18-4, 8-2) had similar feelings after the April game between the schools. They lingered with the Falcons over the past two weeks and focused the team as it prepared for Monday’s rematch.

“We had seven shots on goal to their two that game,” Dunbaker said. “We thought we did everything well that night. We just couldn’t score.”

Dunbaker thought he needed to counter Cardinal Newman’s speed — particularly when the Cardinals were on defense — in order to better position his team to score. He paired Pepin with Zach Arnold at the forward spots and counted on the strong leg of goalkeeper Wayne Sweeten to put the Falcons in position to score.

It ended up being a long ball, though not by Sweeten, that set up Pepin. After a furious first 10 minutes by Cardinal Newman, the game settled into the midfield, and neither team managed many chances. But 15 minutes into the second half, Ben Lippen’s Eric Kim sent a beautiful 30-yard pass out of the midfield, positioning Pepin just inside the 18-yard line.

“It was perfect,” Pepin said. “I felt a lot of pressure not to mess it up.”

Pepin caught Cardinals goalkeeper Collins Harper alone and fired a shot. Harper stopped the initial thrust, but the rebound bounced to Pepin’s feet with a wide-open lane to the goal. Pepin finished the chance easily, and Cardinal Newman was unable to counter after that.

With the victory, Ben Lippen kept its Region 1 top seed hopes alive, but the Cardinals still control their destiny. They face Heathwood Hall on Wednesday in a pair of 5-minute overtimes to finish a weather-shortened game from earlier this season, and then again on Thursday in the regular-season finale. Two victories would clinch the title outright.

“We’ve been playing pretty well lately, and we played pretty well (Monday night),” Boulware said. “We still feel like we’ve got a good chance to win the state title.”

Reach Argeris at (803) 771-8419 or at sargeris@thestate.com.

Goal: BL: Mark Pepin. Saves: BL: Wayne Sweeten 4, CN: Collins Harper 3. Rec: BL 18-4, CN 12-4-1.

Eagles take first step
Adam Davis, The Greenville News

For Eastside High School's No. 1-ranked boys soccer team, Tuesday night's match could be compared to running a mile before running a marathon.

The Eagles' Class AAA playoff opener seemed something like a practice in uniform, as Eastside (19-2) crushed Lugoff-Elgin 10-1. But there will be little time to celebrate this thrashing of the Demons (2-12-1). Next for Eastside is No. 2 Greenville, the defending state champion, on Thursday night.

To view Tuesday's victory as a practice for Thursday would be giving it too much credit, said Eastside coach David Craig.

"This wasn't a practice for Greenville; we'll practice for Greenville tomorrow," Craig said after the game. "I'll take this space and go down to about the 10th of this size and put the same number of people in it and see how we do."

Against Lugoff-Elgin, two of Eastside's starters sat out the first half because they showed up late, but it hardly mattered. The Eagles average an impressive 5.45 goals per game, yet they beat that total by the 22nd minute, when Andrew Dobson's second goal made the score 6-0.

The Eagles spread the wealth around, as only two players — Dobson and Jeff Tolbert — scored twice.

Aaron Harkins, Sean Simmons, Jeffrey Boyd, Drew Davies, Matthew Harmon and Oscar Restrepo also scored.

"That's pretty typical," Dobson said. "If somebody's scored a lot, they'll usually try to spread it around."

Eastside led 10-0 with 20 minutes remaining, but the Eagles were wincing afterward about the loss of a shutout.

The Eagles outshot the Demons 31-1, but that one shot produced a goal in the 75th minute by Josh Weisen.

"I really wanted the shutout, but it's all right," said Davies, who also had two assists. "We got it done, and we're moving on."

If a No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup is not enough motivation, the Eagles can simply think back to last season.

In the Upper State finals, Greenville whipped Eastside 6-2 on Eastside's home field.

This season, Eastside won the only regular-season meeting between the teams, 4-1 in overtime.

Greenville lost several seniors from last year's state championship team, but the Eagles are taking nothing for granted.

"I think it'll be a good game; I think it'll be even on both sides," Dobson said. "They're young but also know how to play together. (Last year's loss) is always on our minds when we play against them, but we know that that's not us. We're not gonna let ourselves do that again.

"We have the ability to play with them — we have played with them and beat them — so we just need to come out and do it again."

Trojans in a rout
Michael O'Brien, The Rock Hill Herald
(Published May 4‚ 2005)

Northwestern came out of the gates and imposed its will on the visiting Easley Green Wave on Tuesday night, rolling to a impressive 8-0 win in the opening round of the Class AAAA playoffs.

The Trojans were clearly the more skilled team and controlled the ball for almost the entirre game, forcing Easley to chase as they moved it around looking for openings in the porous Green Wave defense.

Nine minutes in, Northwestern used swift ball movement to gain an open shot and capitalize on the opportunity.

Rob Tice got the play rolling with a long ball from the Northwestern defense, which was dropped to the feet of Andrew Phillips by way of a header from Ryan Kropp. Phillips then beat two defenders and slipped a pass across the middle of the box to a wide open Reid Hovis on the backside.

Hovis blasted the ball past the helpless Easley keeper for a one-goal advantage.

Hovis got his second goal of the night just nine minutes later when Justin Kropp won a ball along the sideline and found a streaking Nathan Arroyo in the corner. Arroyo carried the ball to space and found Hovis open again on the backside of the box. After a settling touch, Hovis buried the ball in the back of the net off the hand of the diving Tanner Kneisly, and the rout was on.

"Obviously when you get to this point, you want to come out focused on the game at hand," Northwestern coach Nick Finotti said. "I thought that our focus and intensity was right there tonight and that it was a big difference for us."

Phillips picked up the first of his two goals at the 21:00 mark when he beat Kneisly to a long through ball played by Jonathan Caratella and then knocked the ball into the open net that gave the Trojans a 3-0 lead.

Easley didn't threaten the Trojans' net the entire first half while not recording one shot on goal. Northwestern's defense won all the loose balls and smothered the Green Wave players with pressure any time they got near a ball.

For the game, the Green Wave had just three shots on goal, while giving up 27 to the Trojans.

"I thought that we were very efficient with our offensive chances," Finotti said. "When we are disciplined enough to play within the framework of our system, good things happen."

Northwestern left no doubt that there would be no comeback with two more goals before half-time, both by the way of one versus one chances against the Easley net minder.

In the second half, Ryan Kropp and Phillips scored just a minute apart from one another to increase the lead to 7-0 and allow Finotti to empty his bench and rest his starters for the second round.

"We came out and asserted ourselves," Finotti said. "We played the game to our tempo and that was the difference."

Thursday night, the Trojans will play host to the winner of Mauldin and Lexington in the next round. Kick-off is set for 7:00.

Fort Mill topples Wren in first round
Aaron Summer, The Rock Hill Herald
(Published May 4‚ 2005)

FORT MILL -- The Fort Mill boys soccer team knows how to finish with a bang.

After playing scoreless soccer for more than 75 minutes Tuesday, the favored Yellow Jackets exploded for two goals in the final three and half minutes, toppling visiting Wren in the first round of the Class AAAA Upper State playoffs.

Though Fort Mill maintained the run of play from the opening kickoff, the two teams slogged uneventfully through the first 15 minutes, with neither team creating chances on goal.

The Yellow Jackets finally got their first good look on goal in the 17th minute when Joe Cahill got a solid head on a corner kick, sending the ball just over the goal. Six minutes later, Matt Riggio missed a similar attempt, directing his header wide left.

Wren only threatened once in the half, as a defensive misplay in the 34th minute left Yellow Jackets goalkeeper Will Barbieri facing a one-on-one situation. But Barbieri coaxed the shot high, averting the scoring threat and keeping the game deadlocked at half.

"In the first half, our minds just weren't in it," Fort Mill coach Denny Saverance said. "We really struggled and didn't play our type of game. We're a possession team, and we didn't pass well at all. We had a lot of opportunities to score and we didn't do that either. We're going to have to do a lot better to stay in the tournament."

Coming out of the break, Fort Mill's offense appeared more fluid, constantly maintaining possession in Wren's third of the field. By relentlessly attacking, the Yellow Jackets earned more than a half-dozen free kicks and set pieces over a ten-minute span. Yet the numerous opportunities did not translate to the scoreboard, as the misguided free kicks either sailed harmlessly wide or were swallowed by the Wren keeper.

"We've just had a nightmare with set pieces," Saverance said. "We know what to do, we just can't seem to serve it in the right spot. We either serve it to the keeper or long or over the goal. That is really inexcusable. We've got some senior kids out there that now how to serve the ball and we can't quite get it done."

With the offense continuing to sputter, the Yellow Jackets appeared destined for overtime ... or worse. In the 68th minute, a Wren forward streaked past the Fort Mill defense, collecting a bouncing ball inside the box and volleying a blast toward the goal. Again, Barbieri denied the potent chance, keeping the slate clean.

Still hoping to ward off overtime, the Yellow Jackets refocused their attack in the final five minutes, finally meeting with results. After stealing the ball at midfield, Nick Schuermann dribbled straight toward the goal, drawing the defense toward himself. When the Wren defense collapsed on Schuermann, he fed the ball wide right to an open Trey Foster. A few touches later, Foster drilled a shot back across the face of the goal and into the net.

Not content with the slim advantage, the Yellow Jackets tacked on another goal two minutes later. Accepting a pass from Ed DeLaquil, Riggio turned and fired, registering a buffer goal to provide the final margin.

"We did play better in the second half," Saverance said. "We calmed down and played better defensively, and that helped. We were able to build things out of the back and then through the middle and finally finished a couple, ending on a positive note."

With the win, Fort Mill advances to the second round of the playoffs on Thursday, when they will meet either Dorman or Aiken at a site to be determined.

Gators end season
WORTHY EVANS, Sumter Item

In merely judging the postgame antics Tuesday night at the Lakewood High School soccer field, passerbys to the Lakewood High soccer field would have a hard time figuring out which team won.

No.3 seed Socastee handed the second-seeded Lakewood High School boys soccer team a 4-1 loss in the opening round of the 3A playoffs, but after the game Socastee began a series of cool-down exercises on one end of the field.

Meanwhile Lakewood teammates gathered around its goal on the other end, chanting team slogans in unison.

The Gators even doused their head coach, Mike Carraher, with a cooler full of ice water after what would be the team's final meeting of the season.

"We're excited that the program has grown the way it has," said Carraher, whose team finished the season 17-5. "Our first season (2002), our goal was just to keep the score into single digits, to be honest. I had 11 guys come and play iron-man soccer (no substitutions) and we were trying to learn the game."

Through the years, Carraher said, the Gators have improved bit by bit. This spring they finished second in Region VI-3A, while Socastee forced the odd pairing in the first round: the Braves finished in a 3-way tie for the Region VII crown, but ended up behind North Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach in the seedings.

"We knew coming in to the Socastee game that they're one of the best teams in the state," Carraher said. "They're one of the favorites, but to play them as well as we did was great."

Socastee, 13-3-4, will play the winner of Tuesday's Airport at Bluffton matchup Thursday.

The Braves put an immediate hold on the Lakewood defense from the start of the game, firing just one shot on goal before Matt Nicolai made a shot just beyond Lakewood goalkeeper Joe Champey's reach and into the net. That goal, at the 36-minute mark, put Socastee up 1-0.

Twelve minutes later, Socastee's Drew Kiser took a free kick, which Stephen Branham got a hold of and launched the ball into the net to put the Braves up 2-0.

Socastee made it 3-0 on Abbott's empty-net goal with about 17 minutes remaining.

Lakewood managed to get the ball into a scoring situation just three times in the first half.

Eight minutes into the game Matthew Cote tried to put the ball in following a long throw-in, but Socastee's Mark Crabb caught up with Cote and turned the ball back into the Braves' favor.

In the second effort, just before Abbott's goal, Jared Allen jockeyed the ball toward Braves goalkeeper Matt Abee, but Allen lost control and Abee got the ball out of scoring position.

The Gators tried again with about 12 minutes left, when Cote broke away and tried for a shot against Abee, but again Abee came out the victor.

Then with about eight minutes left in the first half, Socastee's Jason Gough shot a missile from about 25 yards out that got in just under the crossbar to put the Braves up 4-0, a lead it took into intermission.

"I think the guys started off a little intimidated," Carraher said. "They came in large and they've got good passing, they're a solid team all around. But I told them that we can be (like) their team one day, and before the second half I told them 'it's time to have fun and do what the sport's supposed to be.'"

Lakewood indeed wrote a different tale in the second half. The rejuvenated Gators again were backed up on their own goal, but they fought off the Socastee assaults and shut out the Braves' attack.

Socastee accounted for only nine shots on goal and Champey made five saves in the second stanza.

The Gators finally got on the scoreboard when Cote was tripped up before the goal and nailed the resulting penalty kick with 6:52 left to cut the Braves' lead to 4-1.

From that point, the ball stayed on the Socastee end of the field, with a few exceptions.

"The first half we played like we were supposed to," said Socastee coach Memo Suarez. "In the second half we let up a little bit and Lakewood picked it up. They were real good in the second half against us because we didn't produce. It was not a very pretty victory for us, we can do better than that, but we're traveling and we'll take it."

Certainly the loss to the Braves ends Lakewood's season as abruptly as it ends Champey's career with the Gators. One of several 4-year players for Lakewood, Champey was upbeat about the team's finish.

"It happens. You can't win them all," said Champey, who had 10 saves on the night. "Second half rolls around, it didn't look like we were going to beat these guys, they're a really good team and I commend them on it. In the second half, it seemed unlikely that we would win, so we just had fun."

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Top-ranked Wando weathers Spring Valley
BY ANDREW MILLER, The Post and Courier

MOUNT PLEASANT -- Spring Valley certainly didn't look like a fourth-place team and the Vikings didn't play like one either Tuesday night against Wando.

Wando midfielder Andrew Eppelsheimer scored on a header and the Warriors' defense took care of the rest as top-ranked Wando beat Spring Valley, 1-0, in the opening round of the Class AAAA boys' soccer playoffs.

The Warriors, who improved to 23-1-1, will host West Florence, a 1-0 winner over Beaufort, Thursday night at 7:30. Spring Valley finished the season with a 15-9-1 mark.

The Vikings entered Tuesday's playoff game as the fourth seed in the playoff bracket, but gave the top-ranked Warriors all they could handle.

"Spring Valley is a great team," said Wando coach C.J. Rozzi. "They're a No. 4 seed, but they play in a great region. They came down here and won our preseason tournament back in February, so we knew they were a tough first-round opponent. It was great to come out of here with a victory because they're a very well-coached team. That was a hard-fought, clean game."

After a sluggish start, the Warriors, who are 11-0-1 in one-goal games this season, got their attack going and finished the match with a 14-5 edge in shots.

"We struggled early in the game. We gave up some chances, but I thought we settled down after about the first 10 or 15 minutes," Rozzi said. "We probably didn't finish as well as we could have. We started to create some chances and I thought we got more and more dangerous as the game went on."

The Warriors, who have given up just eight goals all season, were dominant on defense. When the Vikings did manage to mount an attack, senior sweeper Joe Semsar was usually there to clean up the mess.

"We've been solid defensively all season," Rozzi said. "We're very young defensively, but we're starting to play better together. Joe's a senior captain and he plays like one when he's out there."

Wando keeper Taylor Hopkins recorded his 17th shutout of the season and his eighth in the last nine games for the Warriors.

After a scoreless first half, Eppelsheimer scored off a corner kick when he headed the ball past the Sumter keeper.

"It was just persistence on Andrew's part to get that goal," Rozzi said.

The Vikings had a chance to tie the game in stoppage time, but Hopkins came up with the save on Chase Rowell's header.

Second-half rally falls short for James Island
PHILIP M. BOWMAN, Post and Courier

His roster includes 15 freshmen and sophomores, and only two seniors. But Dutch Fork High School boys' soccer coach Wayne Quinlan doesn't wistfully look to the future. He lives in the present.

"I know everybody says we are young and to wait 'til next year," Quinlan said. "But I've said it all along: This year is this year. There's nothing in the rule book that says a young a team can't win the state championship."

The Silver Foxes didn't win the Class AAAA state title Tuesday night. But they took their first step with a 2-1 victory over James Island at Memorial Stadium. Dutch Fork (16-7-1) plays at at South Florence on Thursday. South Florence advanced with a penalty kick shootout decision over Fort Dorchester. James Island finished 16-5-1.

"Early in the season, we won a lot of close games because we played good defense, and that's the reason we won tonight," Quinlan said. "We were young at the beginning of the season, but those freshmen and sophomores now have some good experience."

The Silver Foxes took a 1-0 lead in the first half when Mark Hutto scored on an assist by Steven Goulet. The visitors made it 2-0 when Mark Ryan scored from 30 yards in the 50th minute.

The Trojans, who missed two scoring chances in the first 10 minutes of the match, finally got on the board in the 67th minute when Devin Moynihan scored.

Less than 10 minutes later, the Trojans had another golden opportunity when Lea Holiday triggered a shot from 25 yards that had enough zip. But sophomore keeper Joey Scribner-Howard got a hand on the ball, deflecting the shot.

In the 77th minute, James Island had one last chance, but Scribner-Howard was able to stop two shots by Ryan McCracken, including one from inside the 6-yard box.

James Island also fielded a young team this year, with only two seniors on its 22-man roster. The team went 11-10 last year in coach Todd Robinson's first season at the helm, and increased the win total by five games in 2005.

"We had to overcome some adversity early in the year, and I'm proud the way we progressed," Robinson said. "A lot of people were counting us out early, and I commend the kids for their season. The hard work and discipline paid off. There were times tonight when we were in control. But we couldn't stop them from doing the things they needed to do."

Stephens, Wagamon spark Summerville rout
ROGER LEE, The Post and Courier

SUMMERVILLE -- Summerville's Green Wave doused Sumter's playoff run in the opening round of the Class AAAA playoffs with a 4-0 shutout of the Gamecocks.

Summerville senior Brad Stephens accounted for all but one goal, scoring with shots in the 12th, 46th and 47th minutes. Goalkeeper Brandon Wagamon played the duration for the shutout. The junior made one save in the first half and two in the second, just like Sumter keeper Daniel Nesbit.

Summerville played superior defense, allowing Sumter only one shot on goal in the opening half and five in the second half. Gamecocks senior Brian Przybyla took all six shots. Summerville managed 16 shots on goal during the game.

In the opening minutes, Summerville had some nice looks at the goal but couldn't convert until Stephens outmaneuvered a Sumter defender and scored an unassisted goal. The Green Wave had a few more well-executed attacks in the half that were foiled by Sumter defenders.

In the 46th minute, midfielder John Griffith passed to Stephens, who scored his second goal with a quick shot. Less than a minute later, Stephens added his second unassisted score of the match.

In the 49th minute, midfielder Keenen Miller set up John Griffith for a tap-in and a 4-0 lead.

Summerville (17-5-2) won its sixth straight. Sumter finished 13-7. Thursday, the Green Wave will face Irmo.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Jordan's overtime goal lifts Wildcats over Wave
WEST ASHLEY 1 SUMMERVILLE 0
BY ROGER LEE, Special to The Post and Courier

SUMMERVILLE--This year nothing much has come easy for the West Ashley girls' soccer team, but the Wildcats are still alive in the Class AAAA playoffs after a 1-0 overtime victory over Summerville on Wednesday.

West Ashley's Jenny Ann Jackson lofted a throw-in in front of the goal to senior Danielle Jordan in the 12th minute of overtime, and Jordan slipped the ball in for the game-winner at Memorial Stadium.

Jordan started Wednesday's game in the sweeper position, but the West Ashley coaching staff moved her to forward in an effort to spark some offense.

After she scored the goal, Jordan was moved back to the sweeper position. With 2:30 remaining in overtime, she rushed to her goalkeeper's to stop what would have been a wide-open shot for Summerville.

Wildcats keeper Alechia Brothers had five saves to earn the shutout. Jordan and West Ashley midfielder Julie Bolt both had three shots on goal in the game. The Wildcats took nine shots on goal in overtime, which nearly doubled the shots they got off in regulation.

"The team really stepped it up in overtime," West Ashley coach Drew McNeely said. "Our bench helped us out and made a difference in the game."

Summerville had some good looks at the goal in regulation, as did West Ashley, but every time the Wildcats' defense blocked the attack. "Summerville gave us everything tonight," McNeely said. "It was gut-wrenching."

West Ashley (19-4) will face Wando in the next round. Summerville finished 13-6-1.

"I'm proud of my players," Summerville coach Sam Polk said. "They played their hearts out, and I wouldn't trade them for anything."

Fortner nets hat trick as Warriors blast Eagles
WANDO 6 BEAUFORT 1
BY BILL HENLEY, Of The Post and Courier Staff

Emily Fortner has envisioned great things for herself and her Wando teammates.

On Wednesday, she scored her second hat trick of the season as the host Warriors knocked off Beaufort, 6-1, in the second round of the Class AAAA girls' soccer playoffs.

"I feel so motivated," she said. "Once you get so far into playoffs you want to (score like) that every time. You just see yourself doing it or see one of your teammates doing it.

"After getting into playoffs, we feel more motivated to win."

The Warriors won't need much more inspiration for the next round when they face West Ashley at home on Friday. Wando, West Ashley and James Island split the Region 7-AAAA regular-season title and are all ranked among the top five programs in the state. The winner of Friday's match likely will see James Island in the Lower State championship game.

"The teams that are left are the teams that have perennially been very strong," Wando coach Scott Ferguson said. "When you've got three tough region opponents butting heads twice a year, you learn things. You learn to play faster-paced games and that will pay off for you in the playoffs."

Wando defeated West Ashley twice during the regular season, but Fortner takes nothing for granted.

"What's even harder is beating them a third time. They'll probably be more eager," she said. "We just have to be more focused. It won't feel like a regular game. Before if someone lost, it wasn't the end of the season. It'll be harder because it's all or nothing."

Wando (13-6) easily advanced to the third round of playoffs with four goals in the second half when Beaufort (7-11) was worn out physically. The Eagles had only three players on the bench, while the Warriors could substitute an entire second team if they wanted.

"They've the defending state champions and they're playing like it," Beaufort coach David Fess said. "They have more skill and more experience than we do and it showed."

Beaufort had a modest record but came into the game with a 1-0 upset victory over Region 6 champion West Florence. Wando, however, wasted little time taking control of matters. The Warriors opened up a 2-0 halftime lead as Sarah Catenacci assisted on a goal to Whitney Naramore and Fortner scored her first goal of the game.

Hannah Neipp made it 3-0 after knocking in a rebound of a Fortner header in front of the net.

For the most part, Wando controlled the ball and kept it on the Beaufort side of the field, but Beaufort's Bailey Morris picked off a lazy pass and got clear for a 23-yard shot into the left side of the net for the Eagles' only goal.

It only seemed to reawaken Wando's offense. Becky Doles crossed a pass to Fortner, who headed the ball into the net. Two minutes later, Fortner took advantage of a misplayed ball in Beaufort's box and finished her hat trick.

Wando's final score started with Kayla Nelson's crossing pass from the right side to Lindsey Dukes. She dished to Krista Ross, who finished the play.

Trojans unleash offense on overmatched Foxes
JAMES ISLAND 9 HARTSVILLE 0
BY MIKE CHERRY, Special to The Post and Courier

The defenders on the James Island High girls soccer team at least received a workout in one area: their jaws.

"We do an awful lot of talking about keeping your focus," James Island coach Stella Chisholm said.

Throughout Wednesday night's 9-0 victory over Hartsville, the defenders spoke to themselves, the midfielders and the bench. On rare occasions when they were needed to touch the ball, they often passed along the Trojans' backfield.

"They're more comfortable doing that than they were," Chisholm said.

Such skill among the defenders will be necessary in future playoff rounds. As for the cool, breezy evening at James Island's football stadium, the Trojans were seldom tested. In fact, James Island (21-3) did not permit a shot in advancing to Friday's 7:30 p.m. hosting of a Lower State semifinal against Irmo, a 3-2 winner Wednesday over Hilton Head.

Junior Kelly Gosnell, the Trojans' leader with 31 goals, scored twice to lead James Island. Lisa Frawley scored two minutes in for her 30th of the season. Other James Island scorers were Monica Basinger, Frankie Battye, Katie Holiday, Cortney Lassiter, Lacey Moskos and Caitlin O'Shea.

In all, James Island fired 34 shots at Hartsville goalkeeper Jamie Coker, who made 15 saves. The Trojans led 6-0 at halftime on their way to the postseason rout.

"They were outmanned," Hartsville coach Chris Alexander said of her squad.

Gosnell said she expected more from a second-round state playoff contest. "It's hard to play teams like that. Not as much skill. You tend to play like that and kind of find yourself running in circles on the field."

James Island goalkeepers Caroline Cooper and Betsy Patterson could have used a little exercise. A freshman, Cooper started in goal and did not touch the ball. Patterson relieved her at halftime and did not receive her first touch until the game's 55th minute. In all, Patterson handled the ball three times as the Foxes (14-7) never forced the duo to make a save.

Making matters worse for Hartsville, the team bus faltered following the game and the Foxes were forced to wait for a backup to make the three-hour trip back to the Florence area.

James Island merely needed to go home and ponder the fact that it is three wins away from a Class AAA state title.

"Our region we come out of is so much stronger," Chisholm said.

A 34-0 shot advantage is but one example.

Raptors girls top Lewisville, 10-0
Staff report

The Academic Magnet girls' soccer team cruised to its 15th victory in 16 games with a 10-0 decision over Lewisville on Wednesday night in a Class AA-A state playoff match at Ravenel Stadium.

The Raptors led 4-0 at the end of the first half, and the match was so lopsided in the second half that goalie Loring Ward switched positions and scored two goals.

Michela Blain, Aylah Clark and Lindsay Miller also scored two goals.

"We started out slowly, but we started picking up the pace, especially in the second half," Raptor coach Troy Bennage said. "We started playing Magnet soccer."

Ward and S-iara Washington combined for the shutout.

Academic Magnet will host the winner of the Wade Hampton-Waccamaw match on Friday.

BE girls romp to 11-0 win
Staff report

It was an atypical regular season for the Bishop England girls' soccer team. The combination of a young squad and a tough schedule produced only a 10-7-2 record. But the Class AA-A Lower State playoffs got into full gear Wednesday night, and the Bishops were their typical selves, drilling Indian Land 11-0 in the second round at Jack Cantey Stadium.

"We were young, but we didn't shy away from a tough schedule," said Bishop England coach Dave Snyder, whose team received a first-round bye and is seeking its fourth straight state title. "They developed as the year progressed and by the time we played Brookland-Cayce late in the season, the progress was significant.

The Bishops cruised against Indian Land as Erin Reifeis, Katie Jones and Mallory Begley all scored two goals.

"It's always good to get a playoff win, but tonight was very business-like," Snyder said. "We got the starters out early and our younger players got some playoff experience."

Bishop England will host the winner of the Barnwell-Hanahan game on Friday.

Girls' Soccer

Wando 6, Beaufort 1
Goals: Wando--Fortner 3, Naramore, Neipp, Ross; Beafort--Morris. Records: Wando 13-6, Beaufort 7-11. Next: West Ashley at Wando on Friday.

Bishop England 11, Indian Land 0
Goals: Reifeis 2, Chandler, Kirchner, Kandl, Jones 2, Landgrebe, Begley 2, O'Reilly. Shutout: Sherwood, Kaspar. Records: Bishop England: 11-7-1. Note: Class AA playoffs. Next: Bishop England vs. Hanahan-Barnwell winner, Friday in third round.

Hilton Head Christian 5, Pinewood Prep 1
Goals: HHC--Boardman 3, Farr, Fanning; PP--Roof. Records: Hilton Head Christian 18-7-1, 8-2; Pinewood 8-7, 4-5. Next: Pinewood hosts First Baptist today.

Boys' Soccer

Pinewood Prep 3, Hilton Head Christian 0
Goals: Braeuning, Grover, Reed. Shutout: Spearman. Records: Pinewood 16-4-2, 10-0-1; HHC 6-6-1, 6-3-1. Next: First Baptist at Pinewood today.

Girls soccer

(At) Chapin 4, St. James 1: Sophmore Kerstin Williams scored her team-leading twenty-third goal of the year, but the Lady Sharks still fell to Chapin. St. James had advanced to the second round of the playoffs for the first time and finished season with a record of 8-11.

Brookland-Cayce 2, Socastee 1: Stepanie Brockmann gave the Lady Braves a 1-0 lead at halftime, but Socastee could not hold Brookland-Cayce at bay. Goalee Lisa Lesnick had 15 saves for Socastee, as they finished the season 13-5.

(At) Airport 2, North Myrtle Beach 1

Dorman puts a hurting on Aiken
JOHN CLAYTON, For the Herald-Journal

ROEBUCK -- Given his last name, the easiest of assumptions is that Dorman senior captain Luke DiMaggio chose the wrong sport.

But the Dorman -- and now the Aiken's -- soccer team would disagree, despite the DiMaggio name being on the short list of baseball immortals.

DiMaggio scored two goals, including what proved to be the game winner in the closing minute of the first half, as Dorman routed Aiken 8-1 in the opening round of the Class 4A soccer playoffs.

The Cavaliers (17-5) will host Fort Mill (18-3-2), a 2-0 winner over Wren, in Thursday's second round.

"I played Little League until I was 12, then I started playing soccer all year-round," said DiMaggio, who easily leads the Cavaliers with 27 goals this season. "I played second base -- I was all right, but not Joe DiMaggio."

DiMaggio's goal just before the half gave Dorman a 2-1 lead, ending nearly 40 minutes of frustration as the Aiken defense keyed on him.

"He played well," said Dorman coach Carlos Osorio of DiMaggio. "He's our leading scorer this year and he's worked hard. Both our seniors -- Luke and Brian Pedrick -- have been big for us."

Pedrick's header on a throw-in from Andrew Autenzio put Dorman on the board just inside the 26-minute mark.

"Any time we score the first goal, we want to keep it rolling," said Pedrick. "We did that. That's how we won."

But stubborn Aiken (7-12) answered seven minutes later with a goal by Schuyler Rearden that tied the game at 1-1.

Then, 10th-ranked Dorman took over, following DiMaggio's goal with six more unanswered in the second half. Even as Osorio emptied his bench, the Cavaliers pulled away.

"It was a lot of stamina and hard work in the second half," said DiMaggio, whose second goal came on a penalty kick 21 minutes into the second half and put Dorman ahead 4-1.

"It seems like we had a lot more energy in the second half. We were pumped up and ready to go."

Sophomore Chad Cummings came off the bench to score two second-half goals for Dorman. The Cavaliers out-shot Aiken 21-6, including 11-2 in the second half.

"Once we got the fourth goal, I think that was it," said Osorio. "We'd kept the pressure on, but with three goals, I think they felt they were still in it. When we got that fourth goal, it kind of broke their spirit."

Fortner's first goal big one for Broome

Joshua Fortner's first goal of the season, proved to be the game winner as Broome advanced in the 2A soccer playoffs with a 5-2 win at Woodruff.

Fortner, who also added an assist, scored just five minutes into the second half to break a 2-2 tie with the Wolverines.

Joaquin Cristales added three goals for the Centurions. James Talanges scored both goals for Woodruff.

Broome (11-9) will face Emerald in Greenwood on Thursday in the second round.

T.L. Hanna 5, Gaffney 4 (2OT): Cannon Haynes' goal with 40 seconds remaining in the second overtime gave T.L. Hanna a hard-fought win at home over Gaffney in the 4A playoff first round. The Indians rallied from a 3-0 halftime deficit with four second-half goals to send the game into extra time. Justin Harris scored with six minutes left and again with just over three minutes left to pull Gaffney (13-6) even. Juan Martinez also scored twice for the Indians and Matt Skinner added three assists.

Chester 2, Greer 1: Adam Wilson scored twice as Chester took a come-from–behind win over Greer in the first round of the 3A playoffs in Chester. Daro Miranda scored unassisted with 13 minutes played to give the Yellow Jackets (7-8) the early lead. Wilson's game winner came with 19 minutes to play in the game.

South Aiken 4, Boiling Springs 0: In Aiken, Jamal Geathers scored four goals as Boiling Springs was eliminated from the 4A playoffs.

Dixie 4, Landrum 0: The Cardinals (4-10) fell behind early at Dixie in the 1A playoffs.

SOCCER

Wilson Hall 3, The King’s Academy 2
SUMTER - Brad Turner’s 21 saves were not enough as The King’s Academy fell to Wilson Hall. Matthew Miele and Rich Walter scored for the Lions.
GOALS - TKA: Matthew Miele, Rich Walter.
ASSIST - TKA: Austin Crane.
KEEPER SAVES- TKA: Brad Turner (21).
RECORD: TKA: 7-3, 7-1.
NEXT GAME: The King’s Academy will play The Byrnes Schools on Friday at 4 p.m. at a site TBD.

Carolina Forest 2, Wilson 1
FLORENCE - Michael Strickland scored two goals and Jake Brown stopped 12 shots as Carolina Forest upset the Tigers.
Wilson finished the season 15-6. Lee Johnson scored Wilson’s only goal and Andy Goforth had 12 saves in the loss.
GOALS- CF: Michael Strickland (2).W: Lee Johnson
KEEPER SAVES- CF: Jake Brown (12). W: Andy Goforth (12).
RECORD:W 15-6.
NEXT GAME: Carolina Forest plays winner of Dreher /North Charleston matchup today.

A timely tune-up, HHP girls head to playoffs with 16-1 regular season mark
BY RYAN O'CONNOR, The Island Packet
Published Thursday, May 5th, 2005

All season long, seniors Margo Lamson and Betsy Gafgen gave it their all in practice only to see limited time in games.

On senior night, Hilton Head Preparatory girls soccer coach Reed Goldsmith made sure Lamson and Gafgen not only got a lot of playing time, but they also got the start.

The two seniors, along with fellow classmate Jenny Lindgren, led the Lady Dolphins to a 6-1 victory over Beaufort Academy on Wednesday in the their final regular season game.

"They don't get to play much," Goldsmith said. "It was nice to see them on the field and being able to contribute. They always work so hard and I'm glad I was able to reward them."

Lindgren, the only other senior on the team, scored two goals and added an assist to lead the Lady Dolphins' scoring attack. Alexandra Fuller, Abby Fennessey, Simone Bruderer and Michelle Mallen all added goals for Hilton Head Prep. Fuller also had two assists and Fennessey, Maddie Rau and Kim Zwerner chipped in with one assist each.

"We played well," said Goldsmith, whose team finished the regular season 16-1. "We controlled the ball. We work on possession all the time. We were aggressive and we were able to keep possession. ... The defense, as always, was pretty solid."

Goldsmith, whose team has yet to lose to a South Carolina school, said the game against Beaufort Academy was a good tune-up for the SCISAA playoffs which begin next week.

The Lady Dolphins, ranked No. 2 in the state, will host a first-round game at 4 p.m. on Tuesday. The opponent will be determined later. A victory will give Hilton Head Prep another home playoff game Thursday with that winner advancing to the finals a week from Saturday at Porter-Gaud.

"This was a good tune-up," Goldsmith said. "We now have four days of practice and we will work very, very hard. We're going to do some fine-tuning and working on the things we feel like we need to work on."

The Lady Eagles also will be heading to the playoffs. They will be a No. 1 seed in Class 2-A.

"This was suppose to be a rebuilding year," said Beaufort Academy coach David Byrne, whose team fell to 8-8-1 on the season. "But it turns out I've got a lot of good players who play their hearts out."

Alexis Spearman, a seventh grader, scored her second goal in as many days to give the Lady Eagles a 1-0 lead. Elissa Daley had an assist on the play.

Beaufort Academy boys 5, Hilton Head Prep 2

Nick Strimpfel scored two goals, but it wasn't enough as the Dolphins dropped their second straight game and will miss the playoffs.

Strimpfel, a senior, scored both goals in the first half to tie the game at 2-2 entering halftime.

However, Beaufort Academy scored three goals in the second half to beat the Dolphins for the second time in a week.

"I told the team at halftime that the next goal would be really tough to get and whatever team got it would have the momentum," Hilton Head Prep coach Richard White said. "They got it and they turned it up a notch."

Ben Reidmayer scored two goals for the Eagles (8-5).

"They've been playing well lately," Beaufort Academy coach Eric Pullen said of his team. "Coaches say that you build for the playoffs in the last two or three weeks of the regular season. They really have. They have just improved every game this season."

Hilton Head Prep finishes the season at 5-10.

"I loved their effort all season," White said. "They couldn't have run faster or harder than they do."

EHS strikes quick -- Lady Vikes score early, often and beat Gilbert
May 5, 2005
By RON COX, Index-Journal sports writer

It took the Emerald High School girls soccer team slightly more than 13 minutes to pick up their first goal Wednesday night against Gilbert.
But the Lady Vikings scored three goals over the next 13 minutes en route to an 8-2 win over the Lady Indians in the second round of the Class AA/A playoffs.
“We came off of five good days of practice and we knew what was expected, but I think we may have been a little bit too excited to start out because it’s playoff time,” Emerald assistant coach Gary Winchester said.
“I think we needed that first goal to settle us down a bit. From that point on, we played little bits and pieces of some great soccer.”
That first goal came in the 13th minute when junior forward Kasie Sears took a centering pass from sister Kayla, and then kicked it out to Erika Bishop, who blasted the ball past Gilbert keeper Katie Lambries.
“It was a big relief,” said Kasie Sears, about getting the first goal.
Less than a minute after that score, Sears picked up the first of her three goals, with a header off an Alex Bishop corner kick, putting Emerald up 2-0.
This was the Emerald’s third win over Gilbert this season, with the previous two coming by a combined score of 20-0.
With the win, the Lady Vikings (16-3) help the team advance to Friday’s Class AA Upper State semifinal game where they will travel to Woodruff. The Lady Wolverines knocked off Ninety Six, 5-1, Wednesday.
Emerald and Woodruff split their two games this season, with the home team winning each time.
“We know how they’re going to set out and we know what to expect from them,” Winchester said.
“We know we match up well with (Woodruff). We’re going to work hard at practice tomorrow, and we’ll just see what happens.”
Emerald freshman Corinne Burdette gave the Lady Vikings all the scoring they would eventually need in the 26th minute.
Midfielder Lacy Hastings, who just minutes earlier took off her knee brace and threw it to the sidelines, lofted a high centering pass from the right corner. Burdette found the pass and headed the ball past Lambries.
On the play, the Gilbert keeper slammed into the left post, injuring her leg.
Lambries, who finished with eight saves, lasted five more minutes before being pulled for Elizabeth Killen.
Sears picked up her second goal in the 36th minute. The junior forward stepped in front of a goal kick and drove in to the penalty box, but she was taken down before taking a shot, earning her a penalty kick.
Sears drilled the PK past Killen to give Emerald a 4-0 at the half.
“I was pleased with what I did out there today,” Sears said. “I could have done a couple of things better, but overall I’m happy.”
The Lady Vikings struck quickly in the second half, scoring a pair of goals within the first 10 minutes.
Erika Bishop opened the scoring by driving in from near midfield and blasting a 15-yard shot into the right corner of the net.
Three minutes later, Hastings knocked in a rebound from the top of the penalty box for a 6-0 lead.
The Sears sisters each added a goal to finish out Emerald’s scoring. Kasie’s 42nd goal of the season came in the 59th minute and Kayla’s less than 60 seconds later.
Emerald coach Paul Dodd pulled all of his starters but two (Patterson and Burdette) with 15 minutes remaining.
The Lady Wolverines managed a pair of goals against the Lady Vikings’ second team.

TRAVELERS REST 1 (5), CLOVER 1 (4) -- In a girls soccer duel between two similar teams, 80 minutes proved insufficient to determine a victor between Clover and Travelers Rest. So, the teams headed to an overtime period, and when that decided nothing, they headed to another. And another. And another. With a berth in the Upper State semifinals hanging in the balance, the teams remained deadlocked at 1 after 110 minutes, forcing a shootout. Again, the squads met each other shot for shot, with each team attempting eight before Travelers Rest ultimately broke the tie, winning the shootout 5-4. "We couldn't ask for anything any better than what we did tonight," Clover coach Leann Mellon said, still pleased with the Lady Blue Eagles' performance despite the loss. "We went all the way down to the eighth penalty kick; there's nothing bad we can say. The teams were evenly matched, and we haven't played an evenly matched team all year." Shots were scarce in regulation, with neither team registering a solid shot on goal in the first half. Travelers Rest finally capitalized on a rare opportunity in the 51st minute, after Erika Godwin deposited a rebound in the back of the net. With less than ten minutes remaining, Clover evened the ledger. After Kelsie Hall was taken out in the box, Britta Widenhouse converted the penalty for the equalizer, forcing extra time. "I was very impressed; this was the very best game that they've played all season," Mellon said. "They played like a team and took shots from all over the field. They played man-to-man better than they have all season -- easily the best game that they've had."

Lady Yellow Jackets cruise to easy win
By Michael O'Brien Herald Correspondent
(Published May 5‚ 2005)

FORT MILL -- The offensive juggernaut known as the Fort Mill Lady Yellow Jackets kept churning along Wednesday, pounding visiting Byrnes 7-2 in the second round of the Class AAAA soccer playoffs.

Paced by Jennifer Ficklen and Amanda Grayson, the Jackets turned in an especially efficient night on offense, netting seven goals on just 18 shots.

Byrnes played a respectable game defensively, but Fort Mill was too precise when given the opportunities and took advantage of nearly every chance presented.

"I think that the sign of a good team is one that can capitalize on their chances," Fort Mill coach Jim Finnerty said. "We showed real courage on our goals getting into the box and crashing the goal hard."

Crashing the net wasn't necessary on the first score of the night.

Ficklen, after being fouled just inside the Lady Rebels' side of midfield, put Fort Mill up 1-0 when her direct kick from 50 yards away had keeper Kelsey Otero fooled, causing her to take two steps toward the ball only to realize she misjudged it and try to backpeddle to catch the shot. She couldn't recover and the ball sailed right over her head at the 21:00 mark.

After Danielle Schmitt's breakaway goal put Fort Mill up 2-0 six minutes later, Grayson got the first of her three assists on a corner kick.

This one found a perfectly positioned Ficklen on the back post, who headed the ball home.

Grayson nabbed her own goal two minutes later when Schmitt collected the ball at the top of the penalty box and with a flick, beat both her defender and a charging Otero. After the ball was bounced around the penalty area, it ended up on Grayson's foot and with no one left to defend the goal, she knocked it in and the Jackets led 4-0 at halftime.

"We definitely were more focused and intense than in the first-round game," Finnerty said.

Grayson's second of four assists led to the first goal of the second half, hitting a streaking Nicole Bainbridge on an overlapping run down the sideline that freed her for a one-on-one with Otero, which she buried to make the score 5-0 at the eight-minute mark.

After Byrnes got on the board to make it 5-1, the Ficklen-Grayson corner combo struck again in the 58th minute to increase it to 6-1.

Grayson answered another Byrnes tally with a corner kick that found the head of Rachel Claypool to close out the scoring.

"My team is very good in the air," Finnerty said. "Corners are probably our strength and they are great opportunities to score. As we go further in the playoffs and the teams get even better, set pieces are going to be important."

Fort Mill will get more chances at those set pieces when they host South Aiken in the Upper State semifinals Friday.

Wednesday, May 4, 2005

Eastside slips past Greenville
Adam Davis, STAFF WRITER

Before her team's soccer match against Greenville Wednesday night, Eastside forward Lauren Reader left the blue tape on her index finger blank.

Perhaps next time she should write the word "score."

"We wear tape on our fingers, and you can put whatever you want to on the tape, to say what you're gonna do that's gonna make us go to state," Reader explained after the match.

In this case, the tale of the tape was No. 4 Eastside beating No. 3 Greenville 1-0 at Sirrine Stadium, with Reader scoring the only goal. The win moves Eastside (19-5) into Round 3 of the Class AAA playoffs.

In the 25th minute of the second half, with the Eagles swimming mostly upstream, Reader headed in a perfect cross by midfielder Kimberly Ruck. The rest was left to the "crush more," which Reader said is the term for the Eagles' back four and their goalkeeper, Michelle Rankin.

"We crush them, and we keep them out," Reader explained.

Ironically, Eastside had its most consistent pressure in the first half, while the Raiders (16-4) controlled much of the play after the break. But the Eagles kept their net clean.

Eastside coach Andy Robinson said his strategy was to play the ball long to relieve the pressure, and eventually it paid off. Ruck got free on the right side and lofted a high cross into the center. Reader got the ball with her head before goalkeeper Emma Sorrells could get a hand on it, and the ball bounced into the net.

"I was not expecting it at all," Reader said. "After it happened, I had no idea that I had scored. It was just kind of like a dream."

While Eastside capitalized on its best chance, Greenville had four near misses. In the first half, Cassidy Connett boomed a free kick from 35 yards, but Rankin deflected it off the crossbar and out. In the second half, Lauren Scovel's shot from 8 yards went right to Rankin; Christina Palma's header from a similar spot went just wide right; and in the final minute, Flynn Jameson's shot from 25 yards dropped just over the crossbar.

"We played well," Greenville coach Farlin DaSilva said. "We had our chances, and that's the way this is sometimes, is that you need to get lucky. ... It kind of hurts a little bit for the seniors that we have on the team, but they've had good careers here at Greenville High School, and I'm really proud of them."

For Eastside, the victory offers a jolt of momentum. Reader said it shows her team can beat anyone. Robinson said Greenville is a "phenomenal" team, and he hopes the victory will give his team more respect.

"You don't get too many bigger wins than this, to come in here with (Greenville's) senior class and their coaches and come out with a win," Robinson said. "You find your four-leaf clover when you get home and laminate it."

GIRLS SOCCER

Class AAAA Playoffs/Second Round

Mauldin 6, Greenwood 0 Goals: Webb 3, Kelley, Letz, Fisher. Assists — C. Borkey, Robinson. Shutout: Lanfear. Records: Mauldin 21-1-1.

Class AAA Playoffs/Second Round

Riverside 4, JL Mann 0 Goals: H. Templer, J. Templer, Escobar, Graves. Assists — Dixon 2, Wampole. Records: Riverside 19-3. Note: Riverside will play again Friday night.

Wade Hampton 3, AC Flora 2 Goals: WH: Scott 2, Robertson. Assists — WH: Robertson. Saves — WH: Norris 5. Records: Wade Hampton 15-4.

Class AA/A Playoffs

Christ Church 5, Swansea 1 Goals: CC: McCall 3, Harrill, Offerle. S: Carroll. Assists — CC: Offerle, Harrill, Fisher.

Southside Christian 2, Pendleton 0 Goals — Gray. Assists — Babainicz. Shutout — Lieghtner. Records: Southside Christian 10-6, Pendleton 9-7.

Thursday, May 5, 2005

Big second half propels Mauldin girls soccer team
David Hood, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

MAULDIN — Chelsea Webb has found a new home.

Two games into a move that saw her switch positions, from center midfielder to forward, Webb has notched two hat tricks, the latest coming in a 6-0 victory that saw Webb's Mauldin Mavericks girl's soccer team advance over Greenwood in the second round of the Class AAAA Upper State playoffs.

The Lady Mavericks, on a goal by Webb, came out of halftime with a 1-0 lead over the Lady Eagles. But in the second half, Mauldin had better ball movement, grabbed momentum and never looked back into cruising to the easy victory, propelling the Lady Mavericks into a probable rematch against Dorman Friday night, a team they have beaten twice already this season.

"I haven't really scored all season, until the last couple of games," Webb said of her recent scoring surge. "In warm ups, we were talking about how we wanted to get focused in the second half, and I think we did that. We also wanted to get the shutout, which has been a goal of ours, to get a shutout in the state playoffs, and we did that. It was a good night."

Mauldin head coach Gwynne Armstrong said Webb played well, but it has been team play that separates this team from the teams that have finished second in the state for three consecutive seasons.

"It was an awesome game, and Chelsea played excellent," Armstrong said. "But everybody got to play, and the whole team performed well, it was just clicking tonight. We don't have one superstar, we just play well together, and that is the difference this year than year's past. These girls just have a drive to finish first."

Greenwood head coach George Sugden was proud his team was close at halftime, but feels like his team gave the Lady Mavericks too much respect in the second half.

"I wish we could have stopped the game at halftime," Sugden said. "We just had problems on both ends of the field in the second half. But we just let them come out and take charge, and I think we gave them too much respect, which is something we had talked about, but we still let them do it."

In addition to Webb's three goals, the Lady Mavericks got goals from Heidi Lentz, Kim Kelley and Madison Fisher.

"That 1-0 lead was not much of a halftime lead," Armstrong said. "In fact, it was kind of scary, but we picked it up in the second half. It took a while to click, but we just got the momentum, and it obviously all happened in the second half."

Beaufort's run ends
Published Thursday May 5 2005

MOUNT PLEASANT -- The Beaufort High School girls soccer team ran out of magic.

Following their upset of West Florence High School in the first round of the AAAA state soccer playoffs, the Lady Eagles came up short against defending state champ Wando High School on Wednesday evening. The Lady Warriors blew out their two-goal halftime lead and earned a 6-1 victory to advance to the third round.

"They played really well," BHS coach David Fess. "They're a great team."

Leading 2-0 at the break, the Lady Warriors never looked back.

Bailey Morris scored for the Lady Eagles (7-11), and Amanda McDougall made 11 stops.

"They did a great job to close the season," Fess said of his team. "They played hard tonight."

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
First in Midlands -- B-C's fate as Midlands' best rested on the toes of girls soccer team
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11682175.htm
Jim McLaurin, The State (5/19/05)

First in State -- When it comes to ranking South Carolina’s best high-school sports programs there is no higher power than the Bishops
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11682173.htm
Jim McLaurin, The State (5/19/05)

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
South Aiken ends Irmo’s 4A reign
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11650814.htm
The State, 5/15/05

Early blitz lifts Eagles
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/11650754.htm
The State, 5/15/05

Coia gives Greenville cause to celebrate