Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I was looking at the teams that have registered for the Atlanta Cup and I am surprised at the lack of South Carolina participation on the girls side (I haven't even looked at the boys side). This is a fairly competitive tournament, drawing many good teams from GA, NC, FL & AL. Seems a logical place to get some good matches if you have a quality team. Why no SC clubs???

The only ones I found may even be a misprint. SAA Elite in the U-11's and U-12's.

http://www.atlcup.com/TTTeamList.aspx?tid=atlanta

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
coach
coach
S
If I'm not mistaken, CESA decided to no longer participate in the Atlanta Cup, the CASL Showcase, and WAGS.

I thought I heard that CESA had decided against participating because it was decided that more value could be had for money by going elsewhere and doing other things.

hat-trick
hat-trick
All CUFC Elite teams are playing in the Disney Qualifier that weekend.

>>The only ones I found may even be a misprint.
>>SAA Elite in the U-11's and U-12's.

I think these are Southern Academy Alliance teams. I noticed a U13 SAA Elite girls' team is registered in the Challenge Division of the PMSL for the fall. Here is their team page at scysa: web page

Last edited by Coach P; 07/29/06 12:14 AM.
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Intersting that CESA would opt out of what is largely regarded as the two most visible college recruiting tournaments on the east coast (WAGS & CASL Showcase). I do think it is a good move by CESA to give their girls maximum exposure in front of SC college coaches (tournaments & college friendlies) because face it.....most SC girls stay in-state. It's too good of a deal to pass up.

I'm not familiar with Southern Academy Alliance?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
coach
coach
S
Hurst66: Let me stress again that the following are my opinions only...

I think I understand not going to WAGS; it's a Region I tournament and appears to have a preponderance of coaches from Region I. Someone...I think it was the Score at the Shore people...put out an interesting white paper a few years ago on attending cross-region tournaments...the bottom line was that it benefited only a very few kids because most went to college within their region. Last year we had one fine player go to Villanova and it may very well have helped her -- but that's the only example I can think of in the last few years.

Regarding the CASL Showcase...in my personal opinion, it's an incredibly overrated tournament. My personal experience with it is that the fields are horrible and the competition is poor -- it seems to me to be an example of a tournament that is living off of its reputation.

If CESA isn't going to WAGS, then I trust the staff that made that decision. If CESA isn't going to the CASL Showcase, then I applaud their decision.

Finally, I appreciate the fact that someone is sanity checking these things. As I said in another thread -- tryout fees, registration fees, and training fees are nothing compared to tournament registration, fuel, hotel, eating out, and the like fees associated with a tournament. I'm hoping that we see some innovative approaches to increasing the level of competition exclusive of these two tournaments.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I remember the analysis on girls playing within region and it certainly makes sense. As I've mentioned a thousand times on these boards, if you have the ability to play D1 or D2 ball in-state, the financial incentives can be very good.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
You'll find the analysis below:
Girl Analysis

Boys analysis

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Really, really good analysis. Thing I didn't realize.....is why are there so many fewer colleges /roster spots in Region 4 as in Region 2? I understand Region 1 due to population density.....but I would have thought Region 3 the least populated of the 4 regions. Also.....with fewer colleges.

Amazingly, my paradigm couldn't have been more wrong. Also funny that the Left COast schools stay home while the East COast schools evidently look for the best players.

Perhaps more great players on the West COast.....but then why do East COast schools do so much better in terms of winning championships or competing for championships?

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Daddy,

Univ. of Portland and Santa Clara are always there at the end of the year, representing the left coast.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
North Carolina has that many teams at the end of the year. I'd expect that region to at least keep up with the ACC.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard