Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
As a new transfer to Carolina..from Clemson. I'll say..

I predict a good game.

bench
bench
4-3 Clemson Final

Formerly ManUFan
World Cup
World Cup
Great atmosphere at Stone Stadium tonight ... Simply, unbelievable! ... There were more than 5,000 fans tonight for the South Carolina/Clemson match and that in itself is a testament to the health of soccer in the Palmetto State.

I've been around USC soccer since 1978 and I've never seen a crowd larger than that one (tonight's was listed as the 10th-largest), but most of the others were with just "The Graveyard" surroundings -- no permanent stands.

Clemson entered tonight's match ranked #5 nationally, while Carolina came in at #24 ... Both teams were shaky defensively as the seven goals indicate, especially in the net where nationally reknowned Phil Marfuggi of Clemson and Mike Gustavson of South Carolina, seemed to be on pins-and-needles all night ... Throw in the make-shift back line of South Carolina's, which featured no Makan Hislop and Mario Burstein, and the night was wild to say the least.

If I was scoring the possession, there is no doubt that the Tigers held a 60-40 advantage through 90 minutes and you have to respect Coach Trevor Adair's team for its resiliency when they avenged 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2 deficits en route to the 4-3 victory ... The final stat sheets labels Clemson with an 8-3 advantage in corner kicks, but it sure seemed like more for the Tigers, who seemingly attacked the Gamecocks in their 1/3 of the field all night ... USC made brilliant use of its opportunities and was aided by a stuck-in-the-mud netminder, Marfuggi -- he was awful ... However, CU was much more physical than USC and really controlled the midfield with Mark Bucholz and Frederico Moojen, while Dane Richards was an absolute beast up top with his speed ... I felt the referee Carlos Hernandez did a really good job of letting the play dictate the game, but his linesmen left him out to dry several times (one in particular when CU's #17 - M. Usry - was seen kicking a downed USC player midway through the second half in the penalty box, totally uncalled for).

No losers tonight except in the win/loss column! ... Great season-opening match that will be interesting to gauge the rest of the regular season from each squad, because there are many mistakes to correct ... But, what a celebration for soccer in South Carolina and kudos to all involved!

P.S. -- USC and Clemson should both compete for their conference titles in 2006 ... These are both top squads nationally and I look for a rematch come the NCAAs in November!

J
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
J
Couldn't agree with you more, Kyle!

I would also say that set pieces looked good tonight. The Tiger's 3rd goal (i think)..was just a beautifully executed set play.

USC also showed their quality. The first goal by David Smith was an !excellent! strike.

Last thing I would mention. I was talking to a friend last night that doesn't know much about soccer, but he was very impressed with "#3". I have to second that, I think Spencer Lewis definitely proved his worth.

Though I found myself torn between the "Cadence Call" and squeeling like a little girl when Goose made a huge save or Sambo had the ball at his feet..I thoroughly enjoyed this match. Couldn't have asked for better regulation play..and as for the winner.. might as well have tossed a coin.

Last edited by L-E Dude; 08/26/06 03:01 PM.
Goal
Goal
tough night for both goalkeepers.

USC scored from a bending corner. haha I mean seriously that stuff happens in like rec soccer not at a scholarship level. He's not an all-american. Mike Gustavson tries to slide tackle (with feet in the box mind you) a Dane Richards who has just made up 30 yards and gotten to the ball while big-stride Mike has jogged 10? This coming after the second goal was basically an own goal in which a USC defender (think it was Brendan Williams) thighed the ball back to a mute Mike Gustavson who was alread in position to try and collect it in the first place and was no where to be found, giving Richards the easy open net toe-in. Tough night indeed.

Dane Richards is an All-American. There is a reason he starts for Jamaica.

Let's hope this doesn't set the tone for USC athletics this year against Clemson. I was over-joyed when we went up and scored 3 goals. I'm now disheartened because it looks like we can't beat Clemson at anything, football, soccer, basketball (even when they are absolutely awful. I mean seriously, bad), baseball, tiddly-winks, rocham-beau, tennis, hot-dog eating, farming, cow-tipping, drinking, you name it. I imagine we dominate them in women's track and equestriand (since we're national champs by the way at that) though which is exciting to think about. I'll go watch them because all they do is win.

S
coach
coach
S
I was pleased to hear that USC had two defenders not playing because I was wondering what was going on with our fullbacks last night. Yes, Dane Richards is a superb player, but USC's back line made him look like Henry.

On the positive side, I too know nothing about soccer but I thought that Spencer Lewis looked excellent. And it's hard to discredit the overall offensive effort of USC -- after all, USC scored more goals that Clemson -- unfortunately (in the case of the on-goals.)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard