Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
coach
coach
I think they just have club teams, no school teams. This is the website for the FC Belvedere who came to CESA in 2004 and scrimmaged some teams from Columbia and Greenville. The club history tells how they operate. They were very talented.
http://indigo.ie/~bvr/

corner kick
corner kick
I don't know if it is fair to compare us with other states unless our demographics and socio-economics are similar. Wasn't there a discussion not too long ago concerning why soccer is not as big here as other places? California is not a football state like SC. I'm of course talking about high school. That makes a difference. You wouldn't talk about soccer in Valdosta, GA...football is king. People move to Valdosta so that their child can play high school football there. Look at Byrnes High school...a team that went 9-27 (or something like that) in the past two seasons, but whose football team is playing on ESPN this year.

I just think that SC is making great strides in promoting soccer in the state, but we have a long way to go. It is up to the coaches, players, and parents to fight for every inch of soccer recognition and promotion in this state. We need to go and beat down the corporate doors for sponsorship and not take NO for an answer. In addition to that, we need to promote the sport more. There are shirts, hats, etc. with such and such footbal or baseball pride on them. We need to see more with soccer pride in our community. There is definitely interest out there, but we need to get people involved. How we do this is the question.

Does high school soccer hurt? Only if there is no feeder system. No clubs surrounding your high school will damage your high school program. Clubs help build it. Paying soccer coaches decently for their time, effort, and licenses, in the high school ranks, would help validate the sport more.

Just a few crazy thoughts...as always.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
>>[soccer40] here is a job for you chico.
in the spring when school soccer starts up, you keep up with the wins and losses of the 4a schools and we will see who is the worse.<<

Actually, we can look at last year and see who was worse. Let's say that your daughter played for...oh, I don't know...Rock Hill. Rock Hill went 3-12 last year. Orangeburg Wilkinson went 0-9. Heck...Rock Hill is far from the weakest 4-A school in the state -- according to the rankings there are 8 other teams below it including three teams that didn't win a game.

Bottom line: any school that wants to claim the title of the worst 4-A program is going to have to go through Orangeburg-Wilkinson to do it.

>>the bigger question will be did any of these kids get anything out of playing for their school.the answer may not be the one that this thread got started for but i bet it will be "yes".my daughter played jv the last 2 years and will be a 9th grader this year so she can enjoy the butt whoopings.its not for the lack of trying or for the lack of heart of these kids.when you have a team that not only did no one else ever play club soccer<no one else has ever played soccer.most of these kids cant afford to play club soccer.there was a day when sports were free except for a physical.IT WAS CALLED SCHOOL SPORTS.<<

With a high school participation fees and the like, it seems as if the days of free anything are over.

I am surprised about the "can't afford it" argument in terms of club ball. There are coaches (many times parents) who typically are willing to give of their time. T-shirts don't cost very much and typically you can find a sponsor for those. Is it that people can't afford it -- or is it that people don't care enough to do anything about it?

>>i guess what i am trying to say in all this is,
you shouldnt compare the 2.if a kid wants to do both then do it.if they dont think school ball is up to their ability then they can stay at home in the spring.<<

Amen.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Kyle:

I agree:
1) Same applies with college and club coaches not being able to "make" better players
2) Yes, for the top 50 players. And, yes, the norm can keep going for the rest where elite development isn't needed
3) It's also with women's soccer, that's why we have been caught and Region and National level metings are expressing concern.
4) The United States has to change it's need for the educational system if it wants to produce top players. And yes it is for a small number and that's the elite I'm referring to.
5) Again, I am talking of the 1% and, yes, the rest can do whatever.
6) Brian Kelly, full agreement.
7) I'm tired of crawling before walking, to be honest. That's been our excuse since 1990 World Cup.

Great dialog!

H
brace
brace
H
chico,
maybe we can line up a rh-ow game.atleast someone will get a win.or maybe not.as far as the cant afford it. there are kids whos family cant afford playing on a club no matter what anyone says.sometimes parents give time that is unwanted.im not sure what you mean about the t-shirt deal.
maybe i am just a little dumb but i know you are not comparing club fees that people are willing to pay to a t-shirt with ricky bobby on the back.
i can say one thing about rh.they have a coach that tries and cares for the girls more than anything.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Beezer,
I concur.
The top 1% of the state's players should not be vilifiled for not playing High school. And, wasn't it the high school league that kept players from doing both club and school until just recently?

H
brace
brace
H
what is the reason this 1% is not playing soccer at school.
is it because there is something better or something else in the best interest of the player.is it because they are still at the age to play club both seasons.or is it that they just dont want to.i have no problem with any of this and from what i learned this year doing it all can be hard on a player.there are kids that have never played and they can hurt you.
i have a problem when people put school ball down and act like it is beneath them to play.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
kdlsc, I believe it's safe to say that the S.C. High School League was looking after its best interests in regards to "Dual Participation" ... But, this issue was decided in 2003 and has been in existence for four seasons in regards to prep soccer with little or any problems reported publicly on this website.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
Kyle... with all due respect... not all coaches in SCHSL have embraced this rule.... The rule allows the player to dual participation, but one can only dual participate if the HS coach allows them to play HS.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Kyle,
You are exactly right. The schsl was looking after "it's best interest" for over 30 years by NOT allowing dual participation.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard