Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

Kyle... with all due respect... not all coaches in SCHSL have embraced this rule.... The rule allows the player to dual participation, but one can only dual participate if the HS coach allows them to play HS.

Not doubting you, but I would need an example to analyze before commenting. I've heard nothing but good tidings concerning "Dual Participation" between high schools and clubs. What coach and school/club are you referring to?

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

Kyle,
You are exactly right. The schsl was looking after "it's best interest" for over 30 years by NOT allowing dual participation.

Again, I think you have to consider the entire rule as it would be interpreted for all sports that the SCHSL has jurisdiction over in the Palmetto State. Do you know of instances where high schools have blocked a player's club participation during the spring?

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I would like to say that I personally have seen a good working relationship with the coaches I have dealt with.

I have a hypothetical question for you...

Season begins and you are setting up for your opening tournament.... The club coach comes to you and says 3 of your starters and 2 bench players will be attending a tournament where they will be seen by college coaches. (remember that spring is the season that colleges can see players)
What would your answer be?

Change the tournament to in-season? would it be different?

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
If the schsl was so open to dual participation , why did it takes years and years to get it allowed?

J
world cup
world cup
J
How can a change in the rules NOT be a sign that they're open to dual participation?

Perhaps it's because "soccer people" in SC finally started making demands. I highly doubt the HS league turned away effort after effort by club/HS coaches..for thirty years. Just because they hate soccer.

If we're going to be so cynical about all this.. let's try a little perspective and look at our own "involvement" or lack there of.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
>>[kdlsc] And, wasn't it the high school league that kept players from doing both club and school until just recently?<<

Actually, if you look back on this message board, you'll see quite a few complaints about some specific well-known club coaches that forbade their players from playing school soccer. So I think it cut both ways.

I agree that different high school coaches handle dual participation differently with some seemingly embracing it and others raising obstacles; but on the whole it seems to me to be one of the advantages South Carolina has and I see more coaches on both sides encouraging it.

S
Shibumi Offline OP
coach
OP Offline
coach
S
>>[soccer40] far as the cant afford it. there are kids whos family cant afford playing on a club no matter what anyone says.sometimes parents give time that is unwanted.im not sure what you mean about the t-shirt deal.
maybe i am just a little dumb but i know you are not comparing club fees that people are willing to pay to a t-shirt with ricky bobby on the back.<<

I apologize that I wasn't clear. Here's what I'm wondering. If you took the club fees to $0, could you get a club team created in your area for at least one team (a U18G recreation or classic team, for example)?

Here's a "club fee" breakdown. The SCYSA will allow clubs with less than 100 people (you don't get a vote, but that's not a big deal), so the SCYSA isn't going to get in the way. You can have all volunteers in the club, so there are no salaries. The T-shirt reference was meant that you don't have to spend a lot of money on a uniform -- the Aiken Fire used T-shirts at this years regionals and it was the players in the T-shirts you noticed, not the T-shirts themselves. Thus, the only "club fees" would be associated with SCYSA registration and league participation -- so you're talking $10-$20 per player -- and quite often you can find a sponsor to pay that couple of hundred bucks.

Now...I'm not trying to downplay the fact that it's a tremendous amount of work for some volunteers...all I'm really asking is if people cared enough to do this then could you draw enough players or are the "club fee" costs really the issue or is it that kids/parents just don't care enough? I'm just wondering -- club costs and getting more kids playing soccer are interests of mine.

brace
brace
i think i have mentioned this before—but part of my reasoning has grown from teaching a soccer player from london—he gave me the impression that in england the school-sports connections do not exist—maybe i am wrong about that—he also strongly associated that concept with the US alone—and he made some good arguments in an education course that the connection was ill-founded—

i also need to add that my daughter LOVES her high school team, her high school teammates, and representing her school—it is clearly a different feel in some ways than her club experience—although she has a bond with the club group that is much deeper than friendship—as well as having incredible relationships with several club coaches who will be important in her life for years to come—i don't want to sound as if i am trashing the value of high school sports—i simply am suggesting that it is a poor dynamic for sport and school—not necessarily for the players and coaches—

and, chico—i am bleeding out my eyes from the strain of NOT continuing on the school stuff—i could discuss such all day!—i was joshing a bit—but thought the soccer folk here may not enjoy those topics as much as you and i—:)

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Season begins and you are setting up for your opening tournament.... The club coach comes to you and says 3 of your starters and 2 bench players will be attending a tournament where they will be seen by college coaches. (remember that spring is the season that colleges can see players)
What would your answer be?

If it was going to conflict with a high school preseason tourney I'd say no.

As for the spring being the time when college coaches see players, what the heck is the big deal about club soccer in the fall then? I thought that was for the college exposure. If the player is good enough and has good enough grades (often overlooked by parents), then college soccer will be an option.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
coach
coach
Its another No-brainer!
If the HS coach has the best interests of the players and their futures, he should obviously let them go without a question. The college coaches do attend the bigger tournaments. A HS preseason tourney does not count in the standings. All you are concerned about is doing well in your region.

Last edited by 2004striker; 08/10/06 01:06 PM.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard