Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
At U11, the current U14G age group's champion was Mt. Pleasant (all of its top players are with Bridge FA)...beat GFC in quarterfinals and St. Giles in final.

The history between these teams (including the St. Giles/GFC and MPSC past) is very even including tournament, Cup and league matches while State Cup titles are 2-1 and they've played one another in every final.

S
goal
goal
S
Beezer: Some of the girls on the current U14 Girls Premier were playing up during the 03-04 year that Mt. Pleasant won the state cup. Those girls won the State Cup 02-03 U-11 St. Giles, U-12 04-05 CESA, U-13 05-06 CESA. In the 3 State Cups that the current girls have, they have not given up a single goal in the finals.

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
If they were playing up, then up until last year Mt. Pleasant (now U15 Bridge FA) won those previous two State Cups as well (2004 and 2005).

With the current U14 and U15 women's teams, Bridge FA (formerly mostly Mt. Pleasant) teams are equal with CESA (formerly St. Giles and GFC). Of the six State Cups, between the two age groups the last three years, Cups are 3-3.

While CESA is the State's top club, this gender, at these age groups, is not a good comparison to mention dominance.

S
coach
coach
S
Beezer: When I look at data multi-year data, I tend to look for two things: "velocity" and "acceleration." Velocity refers to the the aggregate or average over the time period. Acceleration refers to the change in the trend over time.

For example, in a car, you might say a driver over a three hour period averages 60 miles per hour. However, a different picture emerges when the driver drives the first hour at 10MPH, the second hour at 60MPH, and the third hour at 110MPH.

Of course, none of this might be germane...just thought I'd throw it out there for consideration...

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Has anyone seen the Columbia United A team in this age group yet?

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Subjectivity or objectivity?

It's subjective to say CESA has been, and will be, dominant.

It's objective to raise the facts on head-to-head competition and its equality.

The answer isn't what one wants to hear so let's put a subjective spin on the data.

Come on, we're talking about 13-year old girls that are pretty darn even. One club's total reputation shouldn't downplay another club's ability to play with that club at a specific gender and age. Be careful and give credit when its due.

S
coach
coach
S
Beezer: Actually, I was simply observing the way I tend to look at multi-year (or multi-event) data. I have a tendency to use objective data, i.e., head-on-head competition, state challenge cup finalist/wins, tournament levels and finishes, goal differentials, and so on. I tend not to trust subjective data too much.

I also don't know what the data shows at this age group; it's far outside that that I typically pay much attention to. I don't coach in this age group, nor do I have any relatives that play in the age group.

You appear to have a deep and abiding interest in the gender and age group; I was simply pointing out that you might want to analyze the data not simply for a three year average but also look to see if any trends are apparent. There may or may not be.

Lastly, I'll try to explain using a real-life example of CESA and Bridge. If I take the last two years in the boys group, ages U15 through U18, I could say that CESA was dominant because they won five of eight state challenge cups with Bridge winning only two and NECSA winning one. However, if I look at "accleration" I see that CESA won four of their five in 2004 and in 2005 won only one; while Bridge won two in their first year of existence. Thus, I'd have to conclude objectively that Bridge is accelerating faster than CESA in that group of teams.

Now -- it may very well be that this is a statistical anomoly (e.g., Bridge got lucky, CESA had players with broken big toes, etc.) -- I'm sure these things can be endlessly debated -- but drilling down into data at more than an average level can at least allow one to examine trends to which otherwise one might be blind.

Again...not sure what the trends are in this gender/age...just a thought that springs to mind unbidden any time someone presents multi-year averages.

world cup
world cup
Hard to look at historical data and even recent trends when both teams have had players playing up. With players moving back down to true age, and additional players coming on board, we probably should just sit back and wait for this to get settled on the field.

Nice to see a lot of passion surrounding this age group. Maybe these teams will enjoy a nice rivalry over the next few years.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
goal
S
Beezer: How many State Cups have the Bridge Girls teams won? Not Mt. Pleasant

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
None....This spring will be their first.

greenacres
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard