Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Big Daddy - I'm exactly saying that to my knowledge that Wofford does not fund 9.9 scholarships as they are allowed for men's soccer by the NCAA.

To my knowledge, and I don't profess this to be completely accurate, Wofford only offers around 3-4 schollys for men's soccer and per my 11th Edition Soccer Guide of the The Official College Guide from The Sport Source by Charlie Kadupski, Wofford only offered 2+ scholarships in 2001.

This could have changed some, but I still think Wofford operates on a much more limited basis than their Southern Conference counterparts at Furman and College of Charleston. Winthrop also offers more scholarship opportunity.

Bottom line is that it is hard to move up when you cannot entice better talent with more money, especially at a very expensive private school like Wofford.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Any idea how many football scholarships they fund?

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
I'm pretty sure that they have the full allotment of NCAA DI-AA scholarship offers available, which I believe is 63 scholarships. They have great football support with the Carolina Panthers using the facility during preseason camp as well as the graciousness of Wofford alum Jerry Richardson -- owner of the Panthers.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Interesting that in an article in today's Rock Hill Herald, Winthrop womens soccer coach Melissa Heinz touches on the subject of athletic scholarships:

WOMEN'S SOCCER: Coach Melissa Heinz's Lady Eagles, still savoring the first regular-season title in the four-year program's history, are turning their attention to Thursday's tournament opener.

"It feels good. It feels great," Heinz said. "We're excited. From the numb feeling we all had and all the excitement, we find ourselves back to getting focused again. But it's exciting to be in the place we're at right now, but it really doesn't matter when it comes to that first (tournament) game. Whoever shows up and wins gets to move on. If you lose, you're out."

Nine seniors, none on full scholarship, have led the way. "The players that are in this program truly have gone above and beyond and they're doing it with very little," Heinz said. "We started our program with four scholarships and we are at seven right now. For women's soccer, all over (NCAA) Division I, you're allowed 14 full rides. We're not to that. And I'm not complaining because that's how new programs are."

Sophomore goalkeeper Dimi Poulos is ranked No. 11 nationally in save percentage (0.883) and the Eagles are ninth in save percentage (0.887). Poulos has eight shutouts and hasn't allowed a goal in the past 305:12.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #73130 11/02/06 07:25 PM
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Wofford has more problems with men's soccer than just scholarships, it is pathetic!! We did really well for ourselves in the early to mid 90's. Nothing has happened since. The recruiting is terrible! Our SC players are hardly ever looked at and we have some of the best facilities in the State! Until some real changes are made at Wofford do not expect the T-Dogs to contend for anything except last place. I hate to say it, but it is true!

Crabb #73131 11/03/06 02:42 PM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Heinz Coach of the Year, Poulos Player of the Year:

http://www.heraldonline.com/205/story/8571.html

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard