Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
The Carnegie Unit: What is it?

Definition
The unit was developed in 1906 as a measure of the amount of time a student has studied a subject. For example, a total of 120 hours in one subject -- meeting 4 or 5 times a week for 40 to 60 minutes, for 36 to 40 weeks each year -- earns the student one "unit" of high school credit. Fourteen units were deemed to constitute the minimum amount of preparation that may be interpreted as "four years of academic or high school preparation".

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Definition taken from www.carnegiefoundation.org

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
In South Carolina, a student must earn 24 Carnegie units to graduate.

world cup
world cup

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
Wow—just saw this! My daughter has been having the same fight with the NCAA, again about English! This is a mess and should be corrected. She was also in Advanced classes—that seems to be the problem the NCAA has. . .

Also hilarious to see a discussion of Carnegie Units on scsoccer.com. Sad to note we are STILL using concepts from a CENTURY ago! Wonder what is wrong with education? Look no further than the politicos and bureaucrats who have maintained the status quo for a HUNDRED years. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
World Cup
World Cup
No Child Left Behind comes to mind!

brace
brace
If anyone cares—All this increased accountability is HURTING our schools; I bet it is also hurting our athletes. See the research below:

http://nationsreportcard.gov/hsts_2005/

http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v10n18/

The NCAA and their evil relationship with the SAT are not helping ensure better student-athletes. Red-tape doesn't equal quality, eh?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
For the record... March 24 should host an interesting game at the graveyard...

USC v. Clayton State @ 4:00.

If nothing else...this should be extremely entertaining for not having an admission price.

World Cup
World Cup
Interesting e-mail I received today -- this is an interpreted version.

Jamal Geathers is currently at Clayton State College and it is uncertain if he will be at the University of South Carolina next fall. He did run into some problems with the NCAA Clearinghouse -- this was known prior to and upon his arrival at USC in 2006 -- concerning some core course work.

It seems that the education system somewhat forces "advanced classes" on 8th Grade students, but that can be somewhat of an albatross for a potential collegiate student-athlete, because this type of course requires the University/College to file an exemption on behalf of that student-athlete.

Therefore, if you were in 8th Grade and took a high school level English course and then if you completed three more years (through your Junior year) of the same subject matter and not take something of "like substance" during the senior campaign that is considered erroneous and a red flag is raised by the NCAA.

However, a good test score and solid grade point average would alleviate those raised eyebrows and the exemption would allow that student-athlete to "qualify".

Per P&Y's comment -- I totally agree! In any case, a sharp Guidance Department and other school personnel should be able to guide those student-athletes to the correct curriculum!

brace
brace
I would be careful with that analysis since the 4 English courses and 14 (I think) total cores MUST be accepted by NCAA; and they are not helpful on this.

A good and sharp guidance dept at your HS can make a BIG difference!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard