Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#73561 10/25/06 01:27 PM
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
I see there is an e-mail out there today from Steve Cothran alerting everyone of a referee shortage this weekend and asking for help in Columbia. I also heard that last weekend in Charleston, some of the girls tournament games were officiated by only one referee.

Do we have a crisis on our hands?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
league games were cancelled on Sunday at Summerville due to ref shortage...We had one game where we only had two refs at the showcase

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I believe the answer is yes.....

in the fall many of the players who are also refereeing are not because of games and quite frankly the attitude of parents/coaches/players. Truth is referee quality is not always there.

I would have the following rules for officials

1- There is nothing written anywhere that states you must explain your call, therefore you made the call ...move on. (if you made a mistake hey ...you are human)
2- no official is to talk to parents on the sidelines ...before, during and after the game.
3- no official is to talk to players during the game unless it has to do with the play at the moment (i.e warnings, etc.). Talking to players creates problems.
4- SCYSA shall a have a report card for officials provided by the coaches after the game and submit to the SC referee association. Each referee will then get a letter grade along with their certification and then can be assigned to the proper matches.
the report card should include 5 areas with a score of 1 to 5
A- officials on time with proper attire 1......5
B- Center official
kept up with play (physical) - 1.........5
consistent - 1......5 (this one is very subjective)
C- AR
kept up with play (physical) - 1.........5
consistent - 1......5 (this one is very subjective)
D- Officials refrained from engaging
coaches - 1........5
spectators - 1......5
players - 1......5 (other than normal game requirements)

Knowledge of the game must be imparted by assesment/education via the SC referee association.

U16 to U18 challenge level play should have the best officials available for the game, who are able to keep up with play. The referee assignor should take this in consideration.

Lastly you have what you have and you have to make lemonade with the lemons, therefore encourage officials by providing the feedback necessary. A pat in the back when a good job is done is as important as a kick in the pants.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
futbol, I feel your pain.......but we are hurting for warm bodies and you want to impose higher standards? I know the kids deserve better but we need to find a way to get mommy and daddy off the sidelines. How do we get them a whistle and a flourescent shirt? How about the immigrants that grew up with the game....and know the game? Can't we identify them and offer them the chance to earn a few bucks while getting some exercise?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
throw in
throw in
C
And somehow this grading scale is to produce more and better referees?

I agree there is an issue, and you have summarized one aspect of it very well, in the fact that many of the "youth" referees play in the fall. What you've also done however is take what was a legitimate question, and now turn it to a referee quality discussion again. Perhaps if all of those expert referees from the sidelines would get certified and help, we would have no issues in either quantity or quality.

It's a numbers game. With each club hosting tournaments as fund raisers, inviting out of town teams, the assignors job gets difficult. From the state perspective, it would be better to have the best referees at games where out of state teams are involved, ie tournaments and RIII. This then however depletes the various state leagues. Just like people are trying to increase the numbers of players, so should the numbers of referees.

Finally, most referees are encouraged to ask for and receive "constructive" feedback, both positive and negative. To date, I've only had 1 coach be able to provide what I have considered constructive negative feedback at the end of the match, both in tone and demeanor. Until we get away from it's okay for coaches or parents to provide a "kick in the pants", the referee shortage will not end.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I guess it could read as higher standards.... I am suggesting a feedback loop with current officials so that the association can identify areas of improvement. Secondly there is no mechanism (to my knowledge) for SCYSA to hear/work on a complaint

see this thread link

As far as immigrants, I think many are officiating, but being an immigrant does not make you knowledgeable of the game. Mom and Dad will not do it because they are mom and dad and want to see johnny/susie play. The cost for officials has gone up and potentially needs to go up more to entice others to join.

Lastly... recruit, where you ask???

SC is blessed with having numerous college/universities with thosand of students that need money. Where else can you make as a student $20/hr (avg) tax free.

ref 5 games on Saturday and you have $100 of spending money

To me this is a great untapped resource.

coach
coach
All individuals, regardless of nationality,etc., are afforded the opportunity to become certified refs. The numbers issue is a critical one, and some of that comes from an apprehension or reluctance to spend weekends receiving little respect and a lot of grief for their efforts on the field. Most of us like to do things we can enjoy and maybe, possibly be appreciated just a bit for being out there, while making a few dollars. Some refs, for sure, should either be weeded out or placed where they can do the least amount of harm. Mom and Dad can still ref other games, and you can do a few games or a lot. Its a very flexible job. The nature of the ref job, in any sport, has never been an easy nor respected one. But somebody has to do it, or no games can be played. Here is YOUR chance, right now to help with this issue so our game can be the best it can be: http://www.scref.org/Referees/Main%20Page.htm

Last edited by 2004striker; 10/25/06 02:53 PM.
Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
futbol,

Excellent point about the college players.....but in the fall, most SC schools have matches on either Saturday or Sunday. We definitely need to get them out on their "off" day, as well as in the spring.

World Cup
World Cup
One possibility of alleviating some of the clusters of games on weekends would be to play club soccer matches during the actual week. Many of the larger clubs have lighted fields and such and at the older levels (U16-18) players could carpool and caravan together. I've never understood why the club soccer regimes have mandated weekend-only play -- it really cuts out the opportunities, especially if they are local games involved.

Also, in regards to collegiate students getting out and "giving back" to the sport while making some pretty decent money -- chances are they would be more apt to do a weeknight gig instead of sacrificing a treasured weekend.

H
brace
brace
H
my daughter is refing 2 days a week for the city rec league.she could do 4 or 5 days but her soccer gets in the way of that.she does some u- 12 and the parents are not to bad because it is rec.the other days is the little kids and she has fun with them.the little ones play 4 -10 min quarters and about a 5 min half.when you get paid anywhere from 13 to 15 bucks for the 45 mins of work you are doing ok at 14.seems like a few more kids would get involved.
im not sure i would want to ref older club kids and its not because of the kids.

Last edited by soccer40; 10/25/06 03:55 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard