Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Random thoughts from Big Daddy........

1. '92 CUFC Elite is a pretty good team. Better than I thought they would be.

2. '92 CESA Premier is untouchable unless half the team catches Trujillo's revenge the night before an important game.

3. I don't know if its an age thing or a SC-NC thing but U14 SC is way more physical than U12 NC was.

4. As good as I thought '93 Bridge was last year....they are better this year.

5. I thought SCYSA Challenge leagues were pretty well managed this year. Fields were generally good, officiating was solid, good website. Kudos to all.....

6. My son's team is playing at Disney Jr Showcase in a few weeks.....outside of his games, the one game I'm most fired up about is on the girls side. Opening game.....'93 CESA Premier versus '93 CSC Blue. Should be a fabulous game by 2 very, very good girls sides!!!

7. Our CESA Rock Hill experiment has worked extremely well. Son has had a good academic start to the year, Lou has done a great job training the boys, the kids are having fun and have bonded well with their Greenville mates. Parky has done a good job coaching under unique circumstances. My son has enjoyed the Fall!!!

8. Jeez Louise.....I sound like Larry King!!!!

coach
coach
Sounds like Big Daddy is having all the fun this fall !

K
throw in
throw in
K
I think one of the biggest surprises comes from the Classic Division u-14 Boys. The Cesa Classic Team I is a step ahead of the League as well as half the Challenge League.I can only see 1-2 teams in the Challenge division that could beat this team. And those 1-2 teams could possibly Lose those games.

S
goal
goal
S
Not even close, CESA girls premier 93's playing up in the U-14 challenge league, going undefeated allowing only one goal all season. If any one can think of a bigger accomplishment/suprise, post it.

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
sweet feet....my son and I will be at your first game at Disney. If you see a stranger and son lurking about....say hello!!!

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

Don't forget to wear your red shirt, not your blue one!

Should be a great match, I look forward to both of your match reports (assuming Sweet will be there as well).

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
At 8 AM I'll be wearing a sweatshirt or coat and unfortunately the only soccer stuff I have is CSC Blue.

CESA is pretty bad about having Club gear for parents to purchase.....no E store, and the store where they sell uniforms and stuff is pretty limited and they have no parent gear.

I have stakes on both sides of this game and I'm not going to root for a team period. I plan on seeing a great game between 2 excellent, prideful teams. At the end I will offer congrats to the winners and a "keep your head up" to the ones who don't win.

S
goal
goal
S
Big Daddy: what CESA parent gear are you looking for? I know SoccerSport has CESA shirts, flip-flops, belts, magnets,blankets,coasters,match balls,licence plates,wallets,hats,key chains,sweats,mouse pads and even XXXXL CESA dad t-shirts and all with the CESA logo.

world cup
world cup
Daddy wears an Adult Medium t-shirt......and flip flops. Can you hook him up, Sweet?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
H
brace
brace
H
you may have to go up a size or two in the t-shirt

S
goal
goal
S
Hurst66: Sure, no problem, I know a guy, who knows a guy who can hook him up. Spoke to the guy, he said flops and medium t are pre-paid and waiting at the store. 864-6271809. All Big has to do is stop by and pick up the gear

Last edited by sweet feet; 11/01/06 09:57 PM.
goal
goal
(extremely) Random thoughts from Belligerent (in response to Big Daddy’s post above)…

1. ’92 CUFC Elite IS a pretty good team, but personally, I thought they would be better. When I first saw their roster, I figured they would kick everybody’s butts. But, after watching them play ’92 Bridge early on, I changed my opinion slightly. I still thought they would kill teams in that league, but thought they just needed time to “gel.” So far, I don’t think that has happened, and they have had only a mildly successful season.

2. ’92 CESA is a very tough team, but I don’t believe they are unbeatable. If the ’92 Bridge team is having a good day, and the referee is willing to pull out an early yellow card against CESA (only if justified, of course) and keep the match under control, the Bridge boys have a definite chance to win (of course, it will help if certain planets are aligned correctly).

3. Along the same lines, I don’t know if it is an age thing or a SC-NC thing, but U16 NC is way more physical than U9 SC (BD, just messin’ with ya here).

4. ’93 Bridge are definitely better this year than last.

5. Agreed.

Also…

Kickinupstate, the CESA Classic team you speak of may very well be as good as you say, but don’t get too excited. Over the years, I have seen several teams who killed all the other teams in their Classic Division, moved up to Challenge the next season, and then realized it was a completely different ball game. Move on up to Challenge and find out for sure.

Regarding Premier League next season…

I believe CESA Premier will be able to compete well, but Tega Cay should really consider opting out. There is a lot to be said for playing better teams in order to get better, but in this case, they would only get slapped around.

If Tega Cay does the right thing and passes, the next in line would be ’93 Bridge – they plan on playing U13 in the Spring, so that wouldn’t work for them.

Next is Lexington – they are a decent team, but they would not get much out of playing Premier, either.

Mt. Pleasant has had a horrible year (where are you Soccerforfun?) and would get embarassed.

Which leaves the only other team besides CESA ’92 Premier that could possibly compete in that league at this time (not including CUFC Elite, since they were not a team last season) – ’92 Bridge.

Hopefully, Tega Cay will do the “right” thing, and in succession, the other teams will follow suite.

world cup
world cup
Belligerent,

Good points on R3PL. Tega Cay is not the same team as last year since Ricky exited. Looks like if TCSC "does the right thing", there's still no other team to step up and fill the void (why is the Bridge U-13's so much better than the Bridge U-14's?).

Don't know if Tega Cay will take a pass. Remember, the club borders the city of Charlotte. It's a short commute from the Queen City to Tega Cay for any boy from a Charlotte club who would like to try his luck at R3PL.

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Quote:

you may have to go up a size or two in the t-shirt

the heck you say!!!!!!

Yeah, I haven't seen an AM shirt since........uh, maybe about 5th grade. In my teens, 20's and 30's it was because of wide shoulders......now in my 40's everything has dropped. I used to say I had a 44" chest and 33" waist. Now its reversed. XXL does the trick nicely....

The Soccer store in Mauldin had nothing there when we were coming down for scrimmages in August. We picked up a couple of magnets and that was about it. AM was about as big as they got. When I asked about more "robust" sizes......I was told they really only ordered for the players and I doubt there are many players wearing double X. Not soccer players....

We'll be down again this Saturday......car wash at MESA for anyone interested.....proceeds to support the Mac Allen fund. So maybe we'll check out the store again.

Flip flops? Jeez......its like a man wearing Crocs. I don't even like seeing boys wearing Crocs, let alone men. Men should wear grass stained sneakers. Or wingtips.

Heh heh.....I am not a redneck.

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Having just played '92 Bridge and '93 Bridge......'93 is a far more dangerous team. The age / size thing may work against them....and I don't mean to diss '92 Bridge.

But Hurst, '93 Bridge is special. Technically, tactically, athletically.....they are very very good. Beyond good. They could lose a game to another excellent team because the other team has a killer at forward. 1 kid.....think Mike at Goldstar or the Hispanic kid at Jamestown. But failing getting beat by a world class player.....I can't imagine this team losing regionally, when playing at age.

I can't see Bridge '92 as configured beating CESA Premier '92, as configured. Can't see it. Someone told me CESA Premier has only given up something like six SHOTS all
season!!!!
If Tega Cay were to pass.....wouldn't Columbia Elite be considered? 2nd best team?

S
goal
goal
S
Big Daddy: That store in mauldin will get you a XXXXl if you need it, Heck I saw a dad wearing one this past weekend.

goal
goal
Hurst, not sure why you say "why is the Bridge U-13's so much better than the Bridge U-14's?" I agree that the Bridge U13s are a very good team, and playing in the two teams' respective age groups, the U13s are probably a much better team, but I do not agree that they are a better team.

You make a good point about Charlotte kids, but I don't know if that is enough of a draw for them to jump states.

'92 Bridge had to make some major changes this season, and it has taken some time for those involved to get comfortable in their new positions - things will be worked out by the next time '92 Bridge and CESA Premier meet.

I don't believe CUFC Elite would be considered, because they go from the Spring results.

world cup
world cup
Bellig,

Don't underestimate the power of R3PL. The kids & parents may "cartwheel" from Charlotte to Tega Cay for the opportunity to play at the highest level.

T
goal kick
goal kick
T
Quote:

You make a good point about Charlotte kids, but I don't know if that is enough of a draw for them to jump states.

Hurst66 makes an excellent point about the power of R3PL...we have one player who comes from TENNESSEE to play on my son's R3PL team. Two players commute from Columbia to Rock Hill to play on the same team. I believe there is a player on the U16B CESA Premier team that comes from Georgia.

In the absence of having a local R3PL team for them to play on, players will make huge sacrifices to have the opportunity to play at the highest level...distance is not an obstacle.

-Attitude reflects leadership-
world cup
world cup
Thanks babe.

There are also four kids from Rock Hill / Fort Mill who shuttle down to Greenville a couple times a week just to play for CESA's U-13 boys team. They aren't even playing Region Premier yet.

S
bench
bench
S
Taylorbabe is correct that there is a player from Georgia on the U16 CESA Boys Premier team as well as a player from the Charlotte area and one from Summerville all commuting to Greenville.

goal
goal
Hurst,

Again, I see your point, but...does Tega Cay go ahead and accept the R3PL spot assuming they will add some new talent to their roster by the Spring?

Of course, I suppose there could be negotiations already underway between players and coaches.

How 'bout this...Tega Cay currently has a roster of 16 - the max is 18. Let's say they do pick up two awesome players from Charlotte - personally, I see a roster of 18 players being a major problem. Besides the obvious logistics issues, you also have to consider what happens when you have 16 boys (and their parents) who have committed themselves to the team for the entire year (both seasons) and now you add 2 new boys who are coming in the middle of everything, and who are, of course, going to be taking someone's position...wow, good luck with that one.

world cup
world cup
Bellig,

I got a better one for you. How about instead of getting the boys from Charlotte....Tega Cay gets them from Summerville? The kids would only be required to show up for one practice per week, but they would play for a team in the prestigious R3PL. I don't think the existing parents would mind one bit, assuming these Summerville boys are contributing to the team.

Seems to work OK at other clubs.

G
throw in
throw in
G
It's interesting to speculate about the U14 challenge. In a division with 10 teams, there would be only 6 teams returning (2 '93 teams to U13 challenge and 2 teams to Premier). Will Tega Cay go premier? Would CESA promote their classic I team to challenge II to make it seven teams? Would CUFC demote their challenge team to classic? Would some of the CESA challenge players (from last year's premier team) or players from other clubs commute to Rock Hill to participate on a premier team? Did I miss anything? More drama than a season of soap operas.

S
coach
coach
S
It's funny -- but from my perspective, while RIIIPL-East participation drives a lot of kids to move around in the big metropolitan areas (e.g., Atlanta, Dallas), I see more kids moving because of training opportunities in South Carolina. Of course, my perspective is fairly limited...

goal
goal
Hurst,

It's great to have dreams...but, you should also try and toss in a good dose of reality - just to keep things, you know, real. I seriously doubt there will be any U14 Bridge players making that move up the interstate to the Cay. Now, don't get me wrong - I really do feel for you - seriously, I do - Tega Cay has had a disappointing season. Believe me, I KNOW how that can be. But, pinning your hopes on getting two boys from another club who are going to help lift you enough to succeed in R3PL is a pipe dream. It ain't gonna happen.

Honestly, you might have a decent chance to get a couple quality players from CUFC Elite, as that is a fairly short drive, but again, I don't see two players making enough of a difference to your team to make it worthwhile playing R3PL.

Remember, don't shoot the messenger. Besides, I am still walking funny from having Soccerforfun's foot up my rear - and, that guy has BIG feet!

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
No doubt kids will leave a team to play R3PL. However, that usually happens at tryouts in May, not after the Fall season.

I cannot see Tega Cay giving up the slot. They earned it last year and the time to have taken a pass.....would have been months ago. My understanding is that the kids were told they would be playing in the Premier league and at this stage they should get their crack. They should work hard, play hard and do their best. They'll do fine.

world cup
world cup
I see kids moving around in South Carolina because they want to be challenged by playing on the best teams.....and playing at the highest level (premier). Our state is relatively small and one club has done a pretty good job of monopolizing state championships and they in turn have been the beneficiary of player movement.

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
"Our state is relatively small and one club has done a pretty good job of monopolizing state championships and they in turn have been the beneficiary of player movement."

Hurst, to me this is all cause and effect:

--Two of the top Clubs in the state (maybe the top 2) merge peacefully.....somehow Board, DOC, and coaches egos are pretty much all taken care of.

--The new Club has excellent infrastructure in place. Fields, large rec program, etc.

--Individually, the 2 old clubs won the majority of State Cups anyway. Collectively, the new CLub with its pooled talent does even better.

--New club demonstrates the creativity to attract new players from out of town by arranging for local training. New CLub starts to pull players from multiple locations outside of GSP.

--Club starts to develop a reputation as a regional Club.

CESA is not alone in this. Bridge is pulling kids from Columbia, Savannah, etc.

If planning and committment to quality are in place......good things will happen. Too few people/Clubs understand this.

My question is.........why can't this happen in York County? My 3 year old wants to know......

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

You're asking a rhetorical question. Personalities, turf, philosophies....do you have amnesia? You were there, weren't you?

I realize that Big Red have done all the right things to be successful.....and I applaud them for it. But I'm not going to concede that they have the market completely cornered on player development. A lot of the kids that end up there have honed their skills under the tutelage of some pretty good coaches and trainers at other clubs.

Does CESA have a very good staff?....absolutely. Are there other trainers and coaches in the state who do a very good job working with players?....yep.

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
You missed my points Hurst.

In your sentence that I quoted......you said that one club has been the beneficiary of player movement. At least 2 clubs have benefitted from player movement: Bridge and CESA. Probably others too.....

Players have traveled.......for different reasons. Some, because of the opportunity to play on a team that is simply dynamite. Others go in order to play on a team that will compete in R3PL. Others go becasue of the lack of local options. Different reasons.....all valid.

Manchester Meadows is the catalyst that could provide York County with the opportunity to repair that which was broken 2 years ago. Can the leadership step up? Can the do what St Giles and GFC did? What NECSA and CSC did? What James Island and Summerville did?

If they do....awesome!!!

goal
goal
Big Daddy,

Word has it that Tega Cay turned down their R3PL spot. I heard it from a guy who knows another guy who talked to this one guy (and on and on) who says that the TC parents voted on it and decided they weren't interested. I am a little surprised the coach let the parents vote, but, like I have mentioned before, I agree with the final outcome.

While I agree with you that Tega Cay did earn that spot, I still believe that it would have been in no one's good interest for Tega Cay to play premier. As they should now be tied for next to last spot in SC, what could they have gained from playing premier?

Now, I am NOT saying that Bridge 92 has the ability to go into premier and kick butt, or even hold their own. I don't have enough knowledge of the other teams who will be there. What I was implying earlier is that they have a much better chance of doing well in premier than Tega Cay.

Who knows, maybe CESA 92 Premier can't even do well in that group. Until they get in there, it's just a big question mark.

BUT, at the moment, no one (who is talking, at least) knows WHO will be the second team going to premier, only that it won't be Tega Cay.

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
So if true.......what are the rules in terms of backfilling?
Next in line from last Spring? Or next in line from the Fall? And who is that?

goal
goal
As the original teams were decided in the Spring, my guess would be that they stick with that - next in line is Bridge FA 93.

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
And if Bridge '93 does it.......can they also play State Cup this Spring as a '93 team?

Can Bridge accept the slot as a Club and subsitute the '92 team, even tho the '93 team earned the slot?

Is it more probable that the Region will simply backfill the 2nd SC slot vacated by Tega Cay with another team from GA or NC or someplace like that?

goal
goal
Ya got me on that one. And, the next one.

I guess it is up to SCYSA to decide.

I would think that South Carolina gets two slots - period, with the decision how those two teams are selected being left up to SCYSA. Don't know that for a fact - just my guess.

But, if the slot were NOT to go to the third place SC team, as you suggest, why would it go to a third place GA or NC team?

C
throw in
throw in
C
Assuming that SCYSA does not make a special adjustment to the current seasonal year cup manual....

If Bridge 93 plays in RIII as a U14, then no they could not play as a 93 team in the cup, without playing U13 in the SCSCL also. Interesting point would be the seeding for the U14 should that happen.

The team that plays in the spot has to have the roster integrity described in the manual. Depending on the number of players rostered on the team when the spot was earned a certain number of players is required. In general, the spot is earned by the team, not the club.

SCYSA does have the ability to select it's spots, but also has the duty to put competitive teams forward.

Historically speaking 3rd place teams from SC in the RIII haven't proven as competitive as 3rd place teams from NC or GA. I'm not sure the SCYSA would put a SC team in if they didn't feel they would be competitive.

S
coach
coach
S
Comet: Unless the SCYSA changed the rules, the third place team is the only team offered the option of competing in RIIIPL-East. The fourth place team is not considered (or at least several years ago the fourth place team was not considered -- the SCYSA had specifically amended their rules with respect to this.)

Historically, the second place team (let alone the third place team) from SC isn't competitive in RIIIPL-East. Taking an anecdotal look at the numbers, I don't think that the second place SC team is typically competitive with the third place team from GA or NC, let alone our third place team.

goal
goal
Has anyone seen the listing of teams for the R3PL, U14 Boys East Division? All (or some) of your questions have been answered....okay, well, maybe just one.

http://www.hotstat.com/classic/standings.cfm?did=2962

coach
coach
When is SC soccer gonna get some respect? This article has Rittmeyer playing for Bridge FA in GA.
http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562138260

B
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
B
Doesn't he live in GA and represent GA in ODP? Looks like they listed Club, then State. Congrats to Nico for playing so well in an all-star environment!!!!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Daddy...you are correct on the statement above.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard