Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#7364 05/14/02 01:40 AM
S
Goal
Goal
S
I find this whole time issue interesting. Everyone seems to agree the ref held up one finger. However, does anyone really believe his watch was exactly at the minute mark? Don't you think there was some portion of a minute? Maybe 0:50, 1:10, or 1:20, or 1:50? When refs shout out time remaining, have you ever heard a ref shout out minutes AND seconds. No, they just round it off to a whole number. Just something to think about.

And another thing, people have howled that more time than one minute was played. Now, based on the posts on this thread, I've read 2 minutes, the coach of Irmo has weighed in at 2:30 and someone just said 4:53 was played. It seems that more than one witness in this scenario has a problem reading a watch face. If this were put before a jury, any 2 bit lawyer could get the whole thing thrown out.

#7365 05/14/02 03:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think that the PK shot was that great. It was not just inside the left post. The goalie almost over jumped it. It hit him in the chest when he lunged.

#7366 05/14/02 03:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1st off.........i dont care 1 way or the other who won this game because neither of them were my squad.......2nd.....there is no reason 2 hate on my boys the Stoners just because they r studs but their team couldnt hold on........3rd....homeboy from Easily has no place 2 talk crap about my boys from irmo cuz hes from Easily.....if u got a problem im sure the Stoners would take it up with u with a little backing from the boys down in A-town......im out

#7367 05/14/02 05:01 PM
J
Brace
Brace
J
Hey soccer watcher....Phil (coach Savitz) got 2:14 after the ref said there was 1 min left. He stopped his watch and restarted it when the ref said 1 min. As for 4:53, that was the complete stoppage time that the ref did....per the video of the game. That means the exact run time of the entire 2nd half was 44:53. There is no arguing with the video, it shows exactly how long the 2nd half really was...and I believe the SCHSL is being presented with a copy of the tape to show that the game ran way too long. As for the outcome, that is up to the people in charge...and we know what their history is...But it is a little strage that the game ran for almost 5 min into stoppage time when there was only 2 goals scored and one slight injury that lasted less than a minute. Maybe the ref had a reason that he gave more stoppage time. I don't know, I am not in his head....it just seemed that there was too much time tacked on in the end...but the center ref does control the time. The AR's back him up.

#7368 05/14/02 06:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stoppage Time? In HS soccer? The National Federation rule book does NOT allow for stoppage time. It says that the clock is to be stopped on all goals, injuries, and cautions or disqualifications. It is restarted on the whistle putting the ball back into play. There is no "stoppage time" in HS soccer. I have seen referees ignore or misinterpret this rule to the point where they can add time or call a game short when they want to without question. Or has the rule been changed this year?

#7369 05/14/02 08:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The rule has not been changed. It is as you state. In SC, the head referee keeps the time on the field. I think the league should consider having an official timer with the clock visible to all, as in other sports that are timed.

#7370 05/14/02 09:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lol SCHSL is being presented with a copy? Can't irmo just take the loss and prepare for next year? stop whining and do something about it next year

#7371 05/14/02 09:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First of all, just because I am an Irmo Fan, does not mean I'm trying to take anything away from Wando. Wando stepped up and took advantage of the chances that they had and they did a great job of doing so. But for those who are complaining about Irmo being upset, that is dumb. If it had been Wando in Irmo's shoes, I'm sure that their coach would have done the same as Savitz. Nobody's trying to change the outcome of the game, Irmo just wants the credit they deserve.

#7372 05/15/02 01:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yea I think you are exactly right! Irmo's players worked there butt's off all season and trained really really hard and to get cheated by some ref is not right.. Those seniors led this team the whole way and its not right for them who put in soo much work and effort for 1 person to ruin it. And if the same happen to any other coach in the U.S im almost positive that he would have it looked over! Bummy get a grip and stop hating on Irmo! U guys never got there so u have no right to say a word!

#7373 05/15/02 01:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First, of all...Wando won, and nothing's gonna change that. Irmo had a chance to put it away and came up short. Wando didn't give up, took advantage of every opportunity, and they took home the trophy.

Now, for those who think the ref made no bad calls...You either a)weren't at the game or b)are as clueless as this ref was. I said five minutes into the game that I thought there would be a fight because this guy had no control of the teams. I literally saw players from both sides pick opponents up and throw them on the ground with no call. But on the next play, the ref was calling a clean tackle. Also, he paid zero attention to his assts., and they got the out-of-bounds calls wrong about a third of the time. The calls were equally bad on both sides, and as far as I'm concerned, the ref was a complete moron.

However, the time issue is a completely different story from the other bad calls. Every person in the stands was screaming at the ref that the extra time had to be up and the guy kept looking at his watch and shrugging his shoulders. I completely believe what Coach Savitz about the ref saying he "didn't have to explain it." Also, Coach Savitz's time of 2:30 is exactly the time that one of the parents seated next to me had on their watch as well. Not exactly "1 minute" or "a little more than a minute" as one poster suggested earlier. Again, if you were there, it was more than obvious. The video tells the story...the game went on too long and should have ended in regulation 2-1.

This was anything but a good way to decide the state AAAA championship. The woman next to me said the ref at the Dreher girls game the night before was lousy too. I don't understand why they can't find competent refs...soccer is not a complicated game.

In any case, congrats to Wando...Irmo will bring it home next year.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard